Rock Slider show and tell

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So the funny part is that I don't have rock sliders... But I am looking at something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Gear-...ash=item1eb6f5deb9:g:P1AAAOSw0UdXvfqr&vxp=mtr
Would anyone like to show some picks of your sliders and explain if you made them or used something like this:
http://www.rocky-road.com/montero-rock-sliders.html
And finally, if you have any recommendations on building, installing or any Montero specific tips? Probably not brain surgery but if there are simple mistakes to make on a job like this I will find them.... I have been looking at them when I see them on various trucks and some appear to be more for looks and not very sturdy. I know some aftermarket "running boards" are made with cheap, thin metal tubing and not supposed to be a real slider but even some sliders and their placement looks less than ideal.
I took off my OEM running boards and kept the mounting arms and all the hardware. All steel mounting brackets and I know others have used them with success so that is my plan for now.
It looks like DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) steel tubing is probably some of the strongest, dent, crush resistant material to use. Please advise of any other good materials.
I know we have some skilled fabricators, welders just in the Mitsubishi forum alone so lets see what happens-

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Both sets look great!
For both of you guys can you explain if the square tubing is something special? Strong or crush resistant? Just wondering since my buddy has a shop and welder at home I could just buy two square tubes and mate them up to my old running board arms for some basic protection.IMG_3736.jpg
I measured about 71" long from wheel well to wheel well is that about right?

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Those are both the same set, I just did the square part before the tube. The square is just thick 2" square. I think people call it hitch stock, but it's nothing special. People love Dom, but severe impact will damage and push in the whole the whole rail, where as mild will just dent.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Ok, makes sense. I just want some basic protection. I don't plan on doing anything that involves "sliding" as part of my obstacle driving. I would be fine with some solid "bump" protection that keeps the body sheet metal from deforming. Thanks for the explanation.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Square/rectangular tube is also dirt cheap and easy to find. I picked some up for a different project a couple years back and was blown away just how cheap it was....

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
On a Gen 2 I recommend always welding it to the frame, bolting typically damages the frame. However on a Gen 3 I would bolt on for two reasons first the body is the frame and second if you attach at the rocker and at the "frame" tube there would be almost no leverage over the bolts with 2 points of contact. This can't be done on a Gen 2, Well it could but the body moves around over the frame so it would cause problems long term and be hella loud.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
ROCK SLIDERS AND BRACKETS

Its been a while since we did any updates on the rock sliders. We now have them for the Ford Econoline and the Chevrolet Express 135 &155. Bot vehicles have 2 different options as to material.
1. Square main with round outer
2. round main with round outer
Here is a few pics at the latest install.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

MOUNTING BRACKET: 3X PER SIDE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior