Risks of buying a new Grenadier

SkiWill

VM at first in the XJ Cherokee (as did Land Rover with the RRC in the 1980s), and then 5 or 6 cylinder Mercedes in the time of Daimler-Chrysler for the WJ/WK. Not sure who they're using now.
They're using VM 3.0 diesels currently, but soon to completely phase out. They only used the OM642 early versions of the 3.0 V6 in the US from MB under Daimler-Chrysler. The 4 cylinders were VM units.

SkiWill

Except for the footprint - the HD trucks you described are a lot less tidy in terms of their overall size. The gren is "mid-sized size" with some pretty HD features.

But, give me a Rubicon with an upgrade to 7,000 Lbs GVM (thus giving about an 1800lbs payload based on my old JK's numbers) and it comes down to reliability/longevity, which is TBD on the Gren but at least a known quantity on the jeep. Chrysler are you listening? Give us a HDPP in the Wrangler please and thanks!

EXACTLY! That would solve a lot of problems. A Wrangler Rubicon is still too small for my family of 5 realistically, and the Grenadier would be perfect size wise, but at such a cost. I've done the one ton life, and it's not for me. I need a vehicle footprint that's not measured in acres. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2024 Land Cruiser and GX reveal. The LX600/LC300 is still too wide for my taste but the 2024 Land Cruiser and GX will be close but slightly downsized and comparable to the Grenadier. It could make for an interesting competition.

nickw

Adventurer
EXACTLY! That would solve a lot of problems. A Wrangler Rubicon is still too small for my family of 5 realistically, and the Grenadier would be perfect size wise, but at such a cost. I've done the one ton life, and it's not for me. I need a vehicle footprint that's not measured in acres. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2024 Land Cruiser and GX reveal. The LX600/LC300 is still too wide for my taste but the 2024 Land Cruiser and GX will be close but slightly downsized and comparable to the Grenadier. It could make for an interesting competition.
If the looks of a modern LC don't bother you and the fact that it's a bit bougie / you don't need the "simplified" rig that the Gren offers I think it's a no brainer, the LC is by far less risk. The LC is a known commodity, proven itself, based on proven industrial design / build methodology that has stood the test of time, uses drivetrain components engineered from ground up for use case and GVWR and you have a dealer support network - all of that is what you want in a expo rig.

But you can't argue with visual appeal - I've tried and failed more than once, but on paper, I don't see anything about a modern LC that doesn't make it a superior rig, IFS included.

Sid Post

Observer
The older Land Cruisers were and are awesome vehicles for the sorts of things this forum is about. However, the newer ones don't do much for me with all the "shopping mall" add-ons for Soccer Moms and Walter Mitty's.

SkiWill

Given Teslas problems with insurers.... I cannot imagine Grenadier being better.

I was thinking about that as well. Has anyone gotten a quote yet?

If the looks of a modern LC don't bother you and the fact that it's a bit bougie / you don't need the "simplified" rig that the Gren offers I think it's a no brainer, the LC is by far less risk. The LC is a known commodity, proven itself, based on proven industrial design / build methodology that has stood the test of time, uses drivetrain components engineered from ground up for use case and GVWR and you have a dealer support network - all of that is what you want in a expo rig.

But you can't argue with visual appeal - I've tried and failed more than once, but on paper, I don't see anything about a modern LC that doesn't make it a superior rig, IFS included.

The 2024 Land Cruiser for USA will be based off the Prado so it's up in the air for how "bougie" and luxurious it will be. At this point, only Toyota knows that and what it will look like. All we know about it is that it is coming. It will share a platform with the Lexus GX so it would make sense for it to be less "bougie" than the 200 series was. The GX will be there for the more luxurious experience. And the USA specific 2024 Land Cruiser should have better range and less ridiculous fuel consumption than the 14 mpg Grenadier.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
If I could buy a brand-new 1990's coil-sprung Land Rover today, I'd do it in a second. I like the size, feel, utility, and the way they drive. The Gren is pricey, but about as close as I can get. It may have unknown reliability, but Magna-Steyr has a good history. Since there is literally nothing else in the market like it, I think I'll have a swing.

A full-size PU is too lacking in several areas, plus I don't need to tow. Other upscale SUV's are exactly that - too upscale for what I want to do. I don't like the reclined Taco seating, and fear the '24 will have too many nanny systems. The Jeep and Bronco seem to get their body width from fender flares rather than maximizing interior space, and well, Chrysler and Ford? I have not owned a post-1973 American made vehicle and really do not want to go there.

ChasingOurTrunks

If Jeep is watching, they should do absolutely that in the US. I know they had a military one in the last 10 years that had HD axles and a diesel that other countries got that we didn't, but they could and would 100% eat into "commercial" sales like the Gren is aiming at with exactly what you suggest....

If you believe this website (I am sceptical) looks like the "High Tide" version is 1700+ although the payload vs curb weight doesn't quite add up for me:

View attachment 781782

The rest of the jeep was built to a higher standard too, I think it came with a D60 rear axle OEM:

The High Tide is very exciting - I'm not familiar with that one, but off down the rabbit hole I go.

The Beefy Jeep you are talking about is the Jeep J8 and it's fantastic and exactly what we need.

(That article starts with a chat about a Concept car but it goes into detail on the base of that concept, which is the J8).

Another article:

SkiWill

This is supposed to be the service manual, also supposedly available for free to buyers:

Thank you very much. I've been wondering if they'd actually follow through with it. Unfortunate that it is only for buyers and not perspective buyers. Being able to look through some of those service and requirements could be a make or break for someone like me. In any case, I'm fortunate in that Ineos has a full service dealer indicated for Salt Lake City, so at some point I'll be able to actually get into depth in one of these to create a more informed impression.

ChasingOurTrunks

Thank you very much. I've been wondering if they'd actually follow through with it. Unfortunate that it is only for buyers and not perspective buyers. Being able to look through some of those service and requirements could be a make or break for someone like me. In any case, I'm fortunate in that Ineos has a full service dealer indicated for Salt Lake City, so at some point I'll be able to actually get into depth in one of these to create a more informed impression.

Well - the key word is "Supposed to be". I've not been following as closely since the pricing announcement but I've not seen them actually deliver this CAD style thing to customers - happy to hear if I'm wrong about that though! And, the fact that this video demo exists suggests it should be available eventually and so I don't fault them too much if it's not quite ready at launch given how few vehicles have actually been delivered - it's early days yet.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Don’t hold me to this, but I believe I read the digital workshop manuals and repair info will be released with the start of 2024 NA deliveries.

SkiWill

Risks of buying a Grenadier ?

How about 2.08 CAD/L gas or $6 gal USD, what it was here yesterday.

If the "preliminary data" is correct @16-17 L/100km or 15mpg then that's going to cost some.
I'm not sure how it could be any different. The 2023 Mercedes G550 is rated 13 city / 16 highway so 14 combined and is the most comparable given the similarities in sheer heft and barn door aerodynamics.

Data for the new hybrid Sequoia is limited, but according to the fuelly.com website those three users are averaging 18.5 mpg with a 10 speed auto, hybrid, and twin turbo V6. When curb weight exceeds 5,500 lbs pushing a box through the air, there's only so much fuel efficiency one can expect even with a lot of gears and hybrid drivetrains.

I wish the consumption was lower too, but not sure of any way around it.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Risks of buying a Grenadier ?

How about 2.08 CAD/L gas or $6 gal USD, what it was here yesterday.

If the "preliminary data" is correct @16-17 L/100km or 15mpg then that's going to cost some.
Petrol consumption reports from the EU and Oz have been higher, and I personally think it's par for the course. It is not built like a lightweight, subject to a large manufacturer's CAFE standard goals, or victim of cross-platform feature-numbing cost-sharing. For that last point I will gladly take higher consumption knowing the payload can easily handle 1-2 jerry cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears