Reports of Scepter 'civilian' 5gal gas cans at Costco for $15

SnowedIn

Observer
Looks to me like those are the same caps/spouts used on Rotopax tanks. I bet their yellow self-venting spout would work on these, and I'm going to pick one up and try it.

I've found the Rotopax carb spouts to be hit or miss. Some don't leak at all, some leak every time. I'm probably going to get some more self-venting spouts.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
We just got some in at work. They are nothing like the MFC as far as thickness and not nearly as durable. I haven't tried the spout. They seem as good or better than any other CARB gas can.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Finally spotted one of these myself, in the wild. Also at my local Pep Boys. ~$27. Good enough for how I use them (see above about the SuperSiphon, I just dont care about the crappy CARB pour spots. As long as they don't leak when CLOSED)
If I develop more storage for them, or retire some of my old cans, I'll be buying these sturdier cans. But I'm in no hurry to get them, I have enough for now, money is needed for other things.

fuelishidea2_zps1vh4rcye.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
We just got some in at work. They are nothing like the MFC as far as thickness and not nearly as durable. I haven't tried the spout. They seem as good or better than any other CARB gas can.

FFS. What a load of crap. You've been badmouthing these relentlessly since the beginning and with absolutely no sound basis to do so. They aren't advertised to be equivalent to a scepter MFC, nobody is saying they are, I've previously related via their MSDS and product weight that they are roughly 2/3 the weight and thus 2/3 the wall thickness of the MFC - and that makes them at least twice as thick as any other plastic 'consumer' grade can out there, including the iconic Blitz designs.

They are VERY MUCH like the MFCs. Just deliberately oddly dimensioned to not be compatible with MFC-related gear and proportioned for an easier life / use than a mil-spec can. You keep deriding them for not being something they were never intended to be. Which makes your continued criticisms ridiculous.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I learned the hard way you have to be careful with any "name brands" you buy at Costco.
Agree. Within the last two weeks I was looking at a new gas BBQ for the yard. Costco sells "Urban Islands" by Bull BBQ. Looks like Bull, labeled by Bull, lots cheaper than the Bull I find at the local BBQ emporium. So I called Bull. They told me they build the units to Costco specs, with thinner sheet metal, stamped burners rather than cast stainless, and a few other tweaks to keep cost down. So, not the same as the real Bull. Home Depot does the same thing with some name brands. Example: Lincoln 110V mig welder. Looks just like the real thing, but with HD in the model number. Called Lincoln and they told me that the HD is not Heavy Duty. It designates the Home Depot version of that welder, with cheaper components, including substituting plastic parts for things that are normally aluminum. Not necessarily junk, but be careful out there.

MOguy

Explorer
FFS. What a load of crap. You've been badmouthing these relentlessly since the beginning and with absolutely no sound basis to do so. They aren't advertised to be equivalent to a scepter MFC, nobody is saying they are, I've previously related via their MSDS and product weight that they are roughly 2/3 the weight and thus 2/3 the wall thickness of the MFC - and that makes them at least twice as thick as any other plastic 'consumer' grade can out there, including the iconic Blitz designs.

They are VERY MUCH like the MFCs. Just deliberately oddly dimensioned to not be compatible with MFC-related gear and proportioned for an easier life / use than a mil-spec can. You keep deriding them for not being something they were never intended to be. Which makes your continued criticisms ridiculous.

If compared to a Scepter MFC these are a cheap piece of junk and are less than half the thickness. If compared to other less expensive cans they are fine.

There are previous were they were compared, people had talked about using them for "overlanding". They are not adequate for that but fine in the garage. Not sure what easier life means as it relates to a gas can. BUT if you don't like what I have to say you don't have to read it let alone respond to it. I have now seen both and this is my response, you don't have to like it.

These cans are low line can produced to appeal to those looking for a deal at the big box store and are easily influenced by things they think look cool.

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
If compared to a Scepter MFC these are a cheap piece of junk and are less than half the thickness. If compared to other less expensive cans they are fine.

There are previous were they were compared, people had talked about using them for "overlanding". They are not adequate for that but fine in the garage. Not sure what easier life means as it relates to a gas can. BUT if you don't like what I have to say you don't have to read it let alone respond to it. I have now seen both and this is my response, you don't have to like it.

These cans are low line can produced to appeal to those looking for a deal at the big box store and are easily influenced by things they think look cool.

wow you seem to know everything about everyone. ive used these and many others in some really rugged areas that have taken days to get through and yet according to you they are no good for that . not only are they "ADEQUATE" but they stand up well even in colder weather - 40 + up here in canada out on the snow mobiles.Which ride alot more roughly then wheeled vehicles. i put em in the cargo trailer and hook it up and go. been out many long times in weather like this and they have no issues for years. Fine they are not MFC, but these are FC and do a good job at it . When I was in the military 27 yrs i spent some time in the Transport platoon of a Canadian Infantry Bn. MFCs are heavy even when empty, once emptied and secured to your vehicle thats it . other then they dont cost 70 $ cdn per unit what is your real issue with these ? nowhere in the header of this thread does it say MFC style. Its says civilian. These stack in a lot nice then the ordinary civilian style shorter wider and lighter.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
wow you seem to know everything about everyone. ive used these and many others in some really rugged areas that have taken days to get through and yet according to you they are no good for that . not only are they "ADEQUATE" but they stand up well even in colder weather - 40 + up here in canada out on the snow mobiles.Which ride alot more roughly then wheeled vehicles. i put em in the cargo trailer and hook it up and go. been out many long times in weather like this and they have no issues for years. Fine they are not MFC, but these are FC and do a good job at it . When I was in the military 27 yrs i spent some time in the Transport platoon of a Canadian Infantry Bn. MFCs are heavy even when empty, once emptied and secured to your vehicle thats it . other then they dont cost 70 $ cdn per unit what is your real issue with these ? nowhere in the header of this thread does it say MFC style. Its says civilian. These stack in a lot nice then the ordinary civilian style shorter wider and lighter.
I still think they suck for offroading, but good fot the garage.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's like they're deliberately made to NOT fit in any standard carriers. If you are building your own carriers, this doesn't matter. If you are looking for replacement jugs or to expand your current supply, well you've been deliberately screwed out of that idea.
These were at Pep Boys, a large chain of auto parts stores. $27ea.

scepterciviliancan01_zpsgiic7put.jpg
scepterciviliancan02_zps0zdpfupc.jpg

I tried fitting it along with a standard jerry can and a MWC, in the 3-can holder I'd built for my Sub. No Go, with just one of the new cans. Three would have been much worse.

scepterciviliancan03_zpsptwrgnwx.jpg
scepterciviliancan04_zpsgicqc8rp.jpg

If / when I get around to building external racks for fuel cans, I will adjust the sizing to accommodate these cans. I like them, just can't immediately make use of them. Maybe next year. For now I have a half-dozen other cans that will suffice.

Delloro

Observer
These cheap cans would be amazing if we could find a workaround to put just a plain pour spout or just some tubing or something. Kinda like the guys here that posted the DIY to make a high flow pour spout.

I think EZ Pour has what you want.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think EZ Pour has what you want.

I'll second that. I bought a 1.5 gallon EZ Pour can to use for spare fuel on my motorcycle, and fell in love with it. I bought another for the chainsaw. (premix) The 2.5 gallon can is about the biggest that I can easily handle and pour from with the included spout though. The 5 gallon cans are a bit big to handle with one hand and open the spout with the other, but they offer a cap to replace the spout, and they are built very sturdy. And made right here in the USA, which is always nice. :) You also can't really fuel a vehicle with them, but that's the case with any CARB approved spout. The sell an extension, but I prefer to use a jingler siphon.

On another note, I've seen a few of the Scepter red cans in this thread sitting in standard metal military carriers. They're evidently a tight fit, but they will go. Perhaps a little heat and hot water would help?? :) Does make you wonder why they decided to make the cans a tiny bit wider... Probably to keep them from falling over, since the cap is likely not terribly leak proof compared to a Mil can.

OSV

Adventurer
these are back in stock at costco, $13.99

i put 4.5 gallons of gas in one, and drove it over some of the worst roads in death valley, it didn't leak a drop... the nozzle actually worked fairly well, but it was too short in a side fill situation, to drain out the last dregs of gas.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
What you are erroneously calling a "seam" - and thus implying a potential point of failure - is what is called in injection/rotary moulding a 'parting line' and 'moulding flash' and is cosmetic only. It is not two halves melted together along that line.

It's a blow molded tank and that seam is the parting line where the two halves of the mold come together/separate.

It is, as you say, not two halves of the tank "melted together."

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Got me two! I was completely wrong and am shamed, it IS blow molded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles