Replace Engine or Move onto Newer Van?

FDM2012

Adventurer
Sounds like you might have a bad timing chain guide that has broken apart. Been there, done that.
Valve covers and everything on front of motor has to come off, to do that job. A major PIA.
I had to remove the motor mounts to get the covers off.
No fun at all, and even Tom Petty would not have eased the pain!

Completely missed this. I will check this out.

Haven't had a chance to mess with the van getting ready for the Blade Show. Now that it is over I can tear inti the van tomorrow.

Thank you!
Sounds like you might have a bad timing chain guide that has broken apart. Been there, done that.
Valve covers and everything on front of motor has to come off, to do that job. A major PIA.
I had to remove the motor mounts to get the covers off.
No fun at all, and even Tom Petty would not have eased the pain!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dont think it is an easy swap. Read somewhere about a guy trying and it wasn't working.

Would need the trans as well as the motor. Imagine the ECU as well.
Hello,

I haven't been on here much because I have been out enjoying the van and working hard on my knife business.

Unfortunately, having some engine issues now and would appreciate some advice.

On the way back from a 3200 mile road trip to the MotoGP race the engine in my 2004 e350 developed a loud ticking/knocking after a hard acceleration up an on ramp to pass a lumbering truck. I was hauling a small trailer too.

The sound was sudden and persistent. It gets louder and faster with engine RPM and sounds like it is in the passenger cylinder head. Does not sound like something pleasant.

The engine is the 2v 5.4l with 128k miles on it. It has been consuming a lot of oil recently but I have had great MPG and usual performance. No noticeable performance loss on the way home after the ticking started.

I am getting a bit ahead of myself on a dead engine but it doesn't sound good and I really hate trying to work on them. I do not want to dump money into something that will have little return.

The van is in decent shape and set up pretty well, although 2wd. It has a full camper set up with solar, house baterry, roof rack, roof vent, etc.

My mechanic buddy says that the 5.4 is horrible to work on and that I should cut my losses now.

I planned on trying to take this van to South America in the next year or two so I whatever I do it needs to be reliable.

So my question is do you think it would be better to try and replace/fix the motor on a this high mileage van or cut my losses and get a used Transit to start over on?

Really unsure what would be the best way to go.

Thank for the help!

You can probably swap to 6.8.. I replaced my 6.8 with a reman ford warrantied 6.8l motor for $5k installed... The original 6.8 ran perfect and had 320k miles.. I just swapped it as preventative maintenance...

Those 6.8 have power and run forever..

another_mike

Adventurer
Dont think it is an easy swap. Read somewhere about a guy trying and it wasn't working.

Exactly. Swapping to the v10 is a project (remember the 6.8’s got the 5r110) so you’d probably need everything from a donor vehicle. Not comparable to a repair or bolt in crate motor replacement.

Exactly. Swapping to the v10 is a project (remember the 6.8’s got the 5r110) so you’d probably need everything from a donor vehicle. Not comparable to a repair or bolt in crate motor replacement.
That's what I thought. I am completely happy with the power of the 5.4 other than in the Rockies. V10 would be nice but way more hassle and time.

The 6.8 had the 4r100 through 2004, which is what mine has (2002) in 2005 they swapped to the 5r110 and more recently to the 6 speed... It might be an easier swap than you think...

I don't know much about the 5.4, but the 6.8's don't die... They just keep going and going... That is one great motor...

Do you know what tranny you have?
Mine is the 4R75W.

This is my daily driver. Fortunately I work at home so have been able to make due. That being said I am extremely busy with a knifemaking business and hardly have time to get the valve covers off let alone source a 6.8, trans, and all the accessories to switch over. If I still worked 24/48's and had that time and money it may have been a different story.

If you're that busy with the knife business it's an EASY decision.

MOVE ON to a newer van!
I should mention that the knife business is not very lucrative right now! Lol

Transitioned from a paramedic to full time knifemaker about 8 months ago. Getting everything set up is extremely time consuming but not financially rewarding right now.

Catch 22. Don't have time to mess with van but also do not have the money to buy another. My initial post was an over reaction. Now that I have time to cool I realize I must fix this one with the time I can find.

another_mike

Adventurer
Ahh..

Ahh..Got it.. do you have a website for your knife making? Love to see it!

Btw, I would imagine a 5.4 swap with new warrantied reman motor would be very similar to the same price as 6.8.. like is said.. i paid $5k installed in Denver..

There is no way the price would be similar. Youre comparing replacing a 5.4 with another 5.4 crate motor that will bolt right in....Going to a 6.8 would be the cost of the engine/transmission (and I say transmission because even those that tried to swap F350 5r110's into their E350s that came factory with 5r110s didnt work property since they arent set up the same, so theres good chance he couldnt use his same trans), wiring harness, PCM, exhaust, maybe driveshaft and trans crossmember.... maybe radiator.... maybe motor mounts, and then STILL having to deal with any issues from the used engine and transmission. The easiest way to do it would be to buy a donor van.

Ive never seen anyone pull off an engine swap cheaper than doing a reman'd crate motor.

Ahh..
Mine is the 4R75W.

This is my daily driver. Fortunately I work at home so have been able to make due. That being said I am extremely busy with a knifemaking business and hardly have time to get the valve covers off let alone source a 6.8, trans, and all the accessories to switch over. If I still worked 24/48's and had that time and money it may have been a different story.

Ahh..Got it.. do you have a website for your knife making? Love to see it!

Btw, I would imagine a 5.4 swap with new warrantied reman motor would be very similar to the same price as 6.8.. like is said.. i paid $5k installed in Denver..
Hopefully it's ok to post...

www.WheelisKnives.com

Hopefully it's ok to post...

www.WheelisKnives.com

Beautiful stuff you are making there!

I like the camp knife.. at the expo I purchased the

1. tops knives pasayten lite Traveller

And

2.the cutco kbar outdoorsman..

I never realized the usefulness of the kitchen chef knife meets outdoors capability until I saw those two.. yours reminds me of that style.. beautiful handle work!
Thank you!

I hope to unveil some cool stuff at Expo East this year. The vendor price is very steep but I hope to still be able to be there!

FDM2012

Adventurer
I would get a stethoscope and put some serious time into pin pointing the noise.

Could save you some major $$ and heartache! Good luck!

Completely missed this. I will check this out.

Haven't had a chance to mess with the van getting ready for the Blade Show. Now that it is over I can tear inti the van tomorrow.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste