Regular cab short bed 1/2 tons

phsycle

Adventurer
The OP said 2017/18 in his original post. If he's going used, he can find one, and it would probably be cheaper, too.

Not sure about it being cheaper. Used truck prices are still insane.

I’d test drive the midsize to make sure it’ll fit his needs. For some people, a singlecab midsize truck will work. Other will need something bigger. Despite what some of these self-righteous anti-social minimalist hermits will tell you. Everyone has different needs and honestly, different wants, which changes through different stages of their lives. Those poo-poo-ing on others’ lifestyle choices probably need to look in the mirror themselves. ?

Last edited:
Not sure about it being cheaper. Used truck prices are still insane.

I’d test drive the midsize to make sure it’ll fit his needs. For some people, a singlecab midsize truck will work. Other will need something bigger. Despite what some of these self-righteous anti-social minimalist hermits will tell you. Everyone has different needs and honestly, different wants, which changes through different stages of their lives. Those poo-poo-ing on others’ lifestyle choices probably need to look in the mirror themselves. ?

Nobody really makes a modern single cab mid-size. I know the Colorado and Ranger have an extended cab, but at that point I'd rather go full 4 door. I'm just weird like that lol

phsycle

Adventurer
Nobody really makes a modern single cab mid-size. I know the Colorado and Ranger have an extended cab, but at that point I'd rather go full 4 door. I'm just weird like that lol

If I were to go back to a midsize, and obviously would get a crew cab, but I’d get a 6’ bed. Then at that point, is it really that big of a jump to go up to a full-size ? Which is actually how I ended up in a full-size. No regerts.

ricoisme26

I think a lot of us here like vehicles, overlanding is, for the most part, vehicle based exploration/travel. There are at least 100 different vehicle builds I'd want to complete at any given time, not all overland related, what it boils down to is making compromises. I drive a crew cab truck to work by myself because I use that one vehicle for multiple other tasks.

If I were to build a vehicle strictly for overlanding I'd probably settle on an suv with a moderate wheel base, again compromising ability on the trail with cargo space and room for occupants while driving.

billiebob

I chuckle... 40 years ago I was the odd guy with a crew cab. Great family daily driver but the kids hated to see me in the line of parents vehicles picking up their kids. Everyone else was driving regular cabs, minivans or sedans.

DSC_0020.jpeg

Fast forward to today. I have no need for a backseat and would love a regular cab but an old TJR is my daily driver, overlander and work truck.
No back seat, just a spot for the dog.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There's a really clean'93 GMC shorbed 1500 regular cab V-8 4x4 with a manual no less in my neighborhood. The guy found it in the midwest he told me. Looks like a real mountain goat

adam88

Explorer
I love that they finally put power seats in regular cabs. For so long you couldn't order it with them. The ability to raise the seat up and down is the big one for me.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I keep building this “if I’m ever a bachelor again” rig (on ford.com).

5.0, 3.73 locked, tow package. 3” lift, 35’s. Shell with a sleeping platform.

View attachment 710470
I don't know. I had a couple reg cab short boxes. I don't know that I'd ever have another.

I love that they finally put power seats in regular cabs. For so long you couldn't order it with them. The ability to raise the seat up and down is the big one for me.
I'm pretty sure my '08 Sierra reg cab s/box had them. Unless your comment was specific to Ford.

phsycle

Adventurer
I don't know. I had a couple reg cab short boxes. I don't know that I'd ever have another.

It’ll work for me. There’s enough storage behind the seat for essentials. Overall size is great for 99.9% of the trails I ride.

But I don’t plan on becoming a bachelor anytime soon so not even on the radar. Just daydreams. ?

Hairmhampton

If you have a use for one they are great but limited space. I am keen to them and just built one like I have wanted to do for a long time.
Just got her together for a weekend warrior setup and will be beating on it pretty hard. I do a lot of backwoods kayaking and fishing and a fair bit of costal surf fishing.

Attachments

• Pig Pen.jpeg
    Pig Pen.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 69
  • Pig Pen 2.jpg
    Pig Pen 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Pig Pen 3.jpg
    Pig Pen 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Pig Pen 1.jpg
    Pig Pen 1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 63

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Here is a build thread on the Portal of a single cab flatbed.

Great build that may inspire you!

Hairmhampton

Here is a build thread on the Portal of a single cab flatbed.

Great build that may inspire you!

That is pretty cool build. Sent it to a buddy in big bear right up his alley (except its a Ford) lol.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If you have a use for one they are great but limited space. I am keen to them and just built one like I have wanted to do for a long time.
Just got her together for a weekend warrior setup and will be beating on it pretty hard. I do a lot of backwoods kayaking and fishing and a fair bit of costal surf fishing.
Compared to these modern medium sized trucks they have plenty of cargo room in the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles