Regular cab short bed 1/2 tons

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The dealership I bought from in Idaho were giving the same deals on special order as the in-stock inventory. Little over 20% off of MSRP. My local dealers wouldn’t budge from MSRP. This was all pre-Covid.
If I had no kids, I’d go single cab as well. Although I’d consider an extended cab as well. It’s nice to have a little more storage behind the seats (I’d rip the seats out).

If RAM offered a Super Cab/Extended Cab I would have thought long and hard about one. It would be nice to strip it out and have that space for dogs, bags, rifles, etc. That said, I would be giving up the perfect wheelbase, look and balance of the SCLB so it'd be tough.

ramblinChet

That said, I would be giving up the perfect wheelbase, look and balance of the SCLB so it'd be tough.

I agree - I don't make decisions based upon a single metric although wheelbase and break over angle were up high on the list. Here are some numbers to consider:
  • RCLB
    • 140.0" WB
    • 24.7° BOA
  • CCSB
    • 149.5"
    • 23.1°
  • CCLB
    • 169.5"
    • 20.5°
And here is my rig with the AEV Prospector kit and 37" BFG ATs:
  • RCLB + AEV
    • 141.0"
    • 32.1°
Now those are all hand calculations although real life should be very similar.

Last edited:

Grassland

CCLB is not even fun to use in a city on paved roads.
I can notice the turning radius difference between my 145" WB F150 and my 148" WB T250.
I've driven an 06 or 07 double cab Long box Ram 2500 and the space for gear is nice, the driving an aircraft carrier feeling not so much.

billiebob

I wish someone would get back to building a pickup I don't need a ladder to access

245785672_6242169445398_5429531689924825398_n.jpg

You know, like they built 50 years ago.

R.fc0da40b6e4e1a6957f6559151c7ecb4.jpeg

billiebob

I like the Maverick, for what it is. Honda Ridgeline as well. Of course, offroad performance suffers.
View attachment 696331
Park that ^^^ beside this and you will see the difference. We have been supersizing everything for 20 years.

16036400906f653a2005c9dd2DSCN8710-scaled.jpeg

I used to run lumber yards. In the 1990s you just reached over the tailgate and loaded 10 bags of concrete mix. 15 years ago that became impossible. You had to drop the tailgate. Reach over the side lol impossible. And thats on a stock F150.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I still love the look of those first Gen Rangers but my wife thinks I am insane lol. There's a rancher here in town that uses one as his in town runabout and it's still in really good shape, two tone brown/tan, 4WD, small lift and skinny mud tires, it looks great.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I wish someone would get back to building a pickup I don't need a ladder to access

I don't seem to have that issue with my truck. I'm always reaching over the side to grab firewood. ?‍♂️

R.fc0da40b6e4e1a6957f6559151c7ecb4.jpg

Being 2WD helps lower the bedsides on that 67-72. 4x4 would be higher.

4x4 for comparison: (Damn.... that is a good looking truck....)
68-chevy-large.jpg

This truck is pretty close and even still has the handy step on the side....

cmPhoto.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Having previously owned two single cabs, personally I wouldn't own another.

I do like the shorter wheelbase on the single cab for some of the tighter trails. But extra storage and the wife being able to recline (she gets motion sickness) would be two big considerations for the extended cab.

FROADER

Adventurer
Is there a midsize singlecab truck available now? I thought all manufacturers dropped it, after continued decline in sales.
The OP said 2017/18 in his original post. If he's going used, he can find one, and it would probably be cheaper, too.

Or a midsize xtra cab, for some added storage/availability is an option. The wheelbase would still be pretty close, and the break over angle shouldn't be an issue if he's throwing 35s on it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Having previously owned two single cabs, personally I wouldn't own another.

Same here except I've owned 3 single cab trucks (1985 Toyota, 1984 Mazda and 1996 Mazda a/k/a Ranger.) The 96 was a "second vehicle" as I also had my 4runner or Suburban so the single cab wasn't much of a hindrance. It also had a topper on it so I could throw groceries and things in the back of the truck if I needed to.

The disappearance of the RCSB truck is due to several different factors:

As has already been stated, CAFE standards are based on the "footprint" of the vehicle (i.e. the wheelbase x the track width) and a vehicle with a bigger footprint number is allowed to get lower MPG before penalties kick in. This incentivizes manufacturers to make vehicles as long and wide as possible since a CCLB and a RCSB with the same engine and drivetrain are going to get very close to the same MPG.

Also, have you noticed how mid-sized body-on-frame SUVs have all but disappeared? 20 years ago there were a plethora of BOF SUVs: Explorer, Rodeo, Trooper, Montero, 4runner, Xterra, Trailblazer, Suzuki Vitara, Geo Tracker, etc. Now there are basically 3: The JL Wrangler, the 4runner and the Lexus GX460. So where did all those BOF SUV owners go? Certainly SOME of them switched to unibody crossover-type SUVs, but others went to mid- and full-size crew cab trucks.

In my suburban neighborhood, crew cab shortbed trucks are as common as weeds. Most of those suburban dads could not use a single-cab pickup because their vehicle has to do family-hauler duty as well.

So when you consider that most businesses would likely prefer a long bed single cab, and most suburban dads would prefer the CCSB, that means the RCSB falls into a "no man's land" where there just isn't much demand.

Incidentally, for those who are wondering why the 5 1/2' beds are so common, I'm pretty sure it's because that's the only way the manufacturers can be sure the truck will fit in a typical suburban garage. a 6' bed would be more practical but would result in an overall length that would keep it out of many garages (I have a photo somewhere of my CCSB F-150 in my suburban garage: There is literally no more than 3 - 4" of space between the tailgate and the garage door. No way would a 6 1/2' or even 6' bed CC truck fit.)

A crew cab pickup can serve as a family hauler while still having the utility and "guy cred" of a pickup.

And speaking of that last part - I'm not sure the move from SUVs to pickups is driven by utility as much as it is by fad and fashion. Right now pickups are the fad and that's why vehicles like the Maverick pickup have been introduced. 15 years ago Subaru tried the same thing with the Baja and it was a miserable flop, but the Ridgeline seems to have succeeded, I think because small pickups are filling the void left by mid-size BOF SUVs.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Incidentally, for those who are wondering why the 5 1/2' beds are so common, I'm pretty sure it's because that's the only way the manufacturers can be sure the truck will fit in a typical suburban garage. a 6' bed would be more practical but would result in an overall length that would keep it out of many garages (I have a photo somewhere of my CCSB F-150 in my suburban garage: There is literally no more than 3 - 4" of space between the tailgate and the garage door. No way would a 6 1/2' or even 6' bed CC truck fit.)

A crew cab pickup can serve as a family hauler while still having the utility and "guy cred" of a pickup.
No way even a 5'5" box crew cab would fit in many garages here. I don't it would have fit any any garage I've had.

Our old '09 Suburban fit with only a couple inches to spare in our biggest garage.

Suburban was good for a lot of things. But, I don't think I'd go back to an SUV. Truck is just too handy to have around.

Last edited:

Zuber

To offer some context that might be useful here, I should mention that I manage to somehow avoid having an awful lot of the problems that internet people warn each other about. Really remarkable I must be super smart :ROFLMAO: or else maybe 99.9% of the fearmongering and cautionary tales exchanged on forums are kinda horse dookie.

To wit, I mean that I've been told from the day I bought my first car that I simply need to drag extra seats and doors around with me everywhere I go for all the stuff and offspring and other people I'm supposed to be packed full of at all times like a good consumer.
In practice in the real world it hasn't been any kind of a concern, not ever.

Part of it is that I just don't bring the dang world with me. I learned a long time ago that within the USA and Canada there's nowhere you can go that's more than a couple hours from a cold drink and a sandwich. We're not crossing Antarctica. If I'm going somewhere to hike then everything I need has to fit in a backpack anyway. If I'm going somewhere to drive... well every 50 miles or less there's a convenience store. Why would I need to carry all that stuff with me? Why do I need a separate set of luggage for backpacking that I do for car camping? When I'm spending days away from town I go vegan, or nearly vegan to avoid needing to worry about any kind of food that spoils. Eating Silk Road style (tabouli, falafel, etc) means all I need is lightweight dry foods, a little bit of vegetable oil and a source of water. That stuff takes up no space and makes almost no scent to draw curious wildlife. Easy on the inside of a sleeping bag ? too.

While it's true that a RCSB is the same width as any other truck, the 120" wheelbase does turn around easier and it's also easier to keep rocker panels off the ground. I've equipped both front and rear cameras & can maneuver around pretty easily including those 10-point turnarounds one sometimes has to make when the road changes character too far in to back out. Another 2 feet of truck would complicate that. I can also park fully inside my garage, that would have been impossible in a 4 door truck I have about 4 inches on either end with the door closed.

The 6.5' bed is nice too, long enough to sleep in comfortably. Long enough to fit a motorcycle and otherwise use as a real truck. I have never had to live with a 5' bed but I've "just barely" fit plenty of things in this one so it's been a good compromise vs. having a full 8' bed.

My truck is a 2015 Ram 1500 which is lifted about 2" using a combination of parts, and running 285/70R17 tires. I get told it needs 35's by a lot of people but they're the same people who think I need 4 doors and none of them have ever offered to buy 35's for me so I'll just keep not having problems with the less expensive and more fuel efficient "too small" tires :unsure::LOL: - a 35" tire won't fit in the spare cavity anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

View attachment 696453

I'm not sure about the 1/2t vs 3/4t trucks, but 35's (really 34.5") fits in the spare tire area for the 2014-up. It squeaks when you install it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
To offer some context that might be useful here, I should mention that I manage to somehow avoid having an awful lot of the problems that internet people warn each other about. Really remarkable I must be super smart :ROFLMAO: or else maybe 99.9% of the fearmongering and cautionary tales exchanged on forums are kinda horse dookie.

To wit, I mean that I've been told from the day I bought my first car that I simply need to drag extra seats and doors around with me everywhere I go for all the stuff and offspring and other people I'm supposed to be packed full of at all times like a good consumer.
In practice in the real world it hasn't been any kind of a concern, not ever.

Part of it is that I just don't bring the dang world with me. I learned a long time ago that within the USA and Canada there's nowhere you can go that's more than a couple hours from a cold drink and a sandwich. We're not crossing Antarctica. If I'm going somewhere to hike then everything I need has to fit in a backpack anyway. If I'm going somewhere to drive... well every 50 miles or less there's a convenience store. Why would I need to carry all that stuff with me? Why do I need a separate set of luggage for backpacking that I do for car camping? When I'm spending days away from town I go vegan, or nearly vegan to avoid needing to worry about any kind of food that spoils. Eating Silk Road style (tabouli, falafel, etc) means all I need is lightweight dry foods, a little bit of vegetable oil and a source of water. That stuff takes up no space and makes almost no scent to draw curious wildlife. Easy on the inside of a sleeping bag ? too.

While it's true that a RCSB is the same width as any other truck, the 120" wheelbase does turn around easier and it's also easier to keep rocker panels off the ground. I've equipped both front and rear cameras & can maneuver around pretty easily including those 10-point turnarounds one sometimes has to make when the road changes character too far in to back out. Another 2 feet of truck would complicate that. I can also park fully inside my garage, that would have been impossible in a 4 door truck I have about 4 inches on either end with the door closed.

The 6.5' bed is nice too, long enough to sleep in comfortably. Long enough to fit a motorcycle and otherwise use as a real truck. I have never had to live with a 5' bed but I've "just barely" fit plenty of things in this one so it's been a good compromise vs. having a full 8' bed.

My truck is a 2015 Ram 1500 which is lifted about 2" using a combination of parts, and running 285/70R17 tires. I get told it needs 35's by a lot of people but they're the same people who think I need 4 doors and none of them have ever offered to buy 35's for me so I'll just keep not having problems with the less expensive and more fuel efficient "too small" tires :unsure::LOL: - a 35" tire won't fit in the spare cavity anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

View attachment 696453

Your truck "needs" 35's bud. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94