Recommendations on suspension modifications on a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel w/popup camper (1300lbs)

primussucks

I went with a base line CM aluminum bed. $2,800 USD. Since my camper has side boxes already built and matched to the camper (also aluminum), I had plenty of space for parts/tools/toys/etc. I figured for $2,800, i could get it on, use it, and modify as needed for a lot less than a Norweld.

I'm running the Helwig big sway in the rear with PacBrake air bags. Typically run about 80-90 psi in the airbags. Fully loaded (26 gallons of fresh water, fuel, 3 adults, food, beer, 5 gallons of drinking water, clothes, toys (kayak and inflatable SUP), and 20# propane. I was pushing right at 11k lbs.

The front has bilstien 5100s, but they have over 100k on them. Its starting to bounce like a boat. I'll be putting the Pintop on soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpeg
    IMG_3706.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 82

4000lbsOfGoat

Airbags have always seemed like a band-aid to me. If you're planning to carry heavy loads regularly then heavier springs and shocks are in order. Airbags\lines\compressors add a lot of complexity and potential failure points. Springs are springs and they generally don't fail...

ramblinChet

I recently had an AEV suspension installed on my RAM 3500 and although I have not driven it yet, I have a few questions...

Personally I'd stay away from the AEV lift. AEV makes some absolutely awesome stuff, but their lift is not one of them.
What are the specific reasons you consider AEV an unsuitable lift for your application?

Have an AEV suspension on a RAM 3500 with a Hawk FWC on a flatbed. The rear is supported by airbags which I was not enthused about and a recent run on the White Rim Trail confirmed my hesitancy to go with this setup. The ride was horrible and the rear window of the Hawk shattered on a modest dropoff at Valley of the Gods...Can't wait to get rid of the AEV suspension.
I am curious - what is the factory load rating for your RAM 3500 and what is the weight of your load? And how is the suspension responsible for breaking the rear window of your FWC Hawk?

silvrzuki77

explorer
I went with a base line CM aluminum bed. $2,800 USD. Since my camper has side boxes already built and matched to the camper (also aluminum), I had plenty of space for parts/tools/toys/etc. I figured for $2,800, i could get it on, use it, and modify as needed for a lot less than a Norweld.

I'm running the Helwig big sway in the rear with PacBrake air bags. Typically run about 80-90 psi in the airbags. Fully loaded (26 gallons of fresh water, fuel, 3 adults, food, beer, 5 gallons of drinking water, clothes, toys (kayak and inflatable SUP), and 20# propane. I was pushing right at 11k lbs.

The front has bilstien 5100s, but they have over 100k on them. Its starting to bounce like a boat. I'll be putting the Pintop on soon.

That’s a great looking setup! That’s basically the route I want to head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyViking

What are the specific reasons you consider AEV an unsuitable lift for your application?
1. The AEV kit is a lift not a suspension system
The AEV lift is, for all intents and purposes, a spacer lift. I have 0 interest in a spacer lift, or any lift for that matter. The priorities I have are a soft ride, additional travel, better flex. I get all three with a suspension system, I get none of them with the AEV kit. I don't want my truck lifted, at least any more than necessary. I want to keep it low as possible for better handling and because by lifting the body of the truck I gain absolutely nothing.

This truck can take 37s from the factory with modest trimming, and if you get the proper offset wheels you can easily clear 37s-39s with minimal, if any, trimming. A larger tire offers a more comfortable ride, better ground clearance and more options to air down when needed. I don't need to lift the front 3" and the rear 2" to fit 37s, so why would I?

Lastly, the AEV kit gives you no additional suspension travel, it keeps the stock springs and allows no additional travel. Why would you want that? If you don't need the lift to fit the tires, and you're gaining nothing in terms of performance, then why add additional components that add possible failure points?

2. The AEV kit costs too much for what it is
The AEV kit is laughably expensive for what it is. It's not a "bad deal" per say, considering the number of parts you're getting, but it's far more expensive than doing a spacer lift, and I guarantee you that almost no one could tell a difference between the two. If, for whatever reason, you wanted to lift the truck up there are numerous companies that make spacer lifts, you can adjust your radius arms and add some drop links and you're back in service.

I just don't see the AEV kit as a worthwhile option. I think that AEV greatly over engineered the kit while completely ignoring adding any performance to it. As I said earlier, what is the point then? Save yourself the money and keep the factory setup or add spacers, it's going to ride basically the same, which is not great but usable.

pkita99

Thanks for all the input everyone. After talking with the guys at Thuren and Carli I decided to go with the Thuren setup (1 inch front springs, stock rear springs, front and back track bar) and their 2.5 Kings. Unfortunately the king shocks are over a year out (and you have to pay full price at time of order) so most likely will go with the basic 2.0 Fox and then order the Kings next year (sell Fox when when I install Kings).

One question I have is regards to the airbags. I am located in Flagstaff and decided to go to a local shop to get them done as I don't have a lift and getting under that truck without raising it is a **********. After having them for about two months they are leaking like crazy. I mean I have to pump them up before every trip and it also seems the passenger side one is installed crooked as it is leaning to the side. Basically I think the shop I got them installed screwed it up.

With that said I am thinking of just ditching them all together and getting Timbrens. Any thoughts from people that used both? Other option is going to a legit shop and getting the airbags reinstalled.

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated!

silvrzuki77

explorer
They definitely screwed them up. I have had my airlift 5000 with the day star cradles and haven’t had a single issue of leaking. I’ve been using the truck Offroad a lot and towing.
3516357d3d460a6dc6b72bef56931ce5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkita99

Yeah. Was an expensive mistake on my end. Will have to probably get a whole new setup. Thats why I'm just thinking of going with timbrens and being done with it.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks for all the input everyone. After talking with the guys at Thuren and Carli I decided to go with the Thuren setup (1 inch front springs, stock rear springs, front and back track bar) and their 2.5 Kings. Unfortunately the king shocks are over a year out (and you have to pay full price at time of order) so most likely will go with the basic 2.0 Fox and then order the Kings next year (sell Fox when when I install Kings).

One question I have is regards to the airbags. I am located in Flagstaff and decided to go to a local shop to get them done as I don't have a lift and getting under that truck without raising it is a **********. After having them for about two months they are leaking like crazy. I mean I have to pump them up before every trip and it also seems the passenger side one is installed crooked as it is leaning to the side. Basically I think the shop I got them installed screwed it up.

With that said I am thinking of just ditching them all together and getting Timbrens. Any thoughts from people that used both? Other option is going to a legit shop and getting the airbags reinstalled.

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated!
Which Timbren product are you going to use? Did you look at Sumo springs as well? Thanks, your input is welcome.

Chris W

I did rear firestone bags and have been happy, leveling for camping has been great. I can carry almost 50gal in water so it's nice to be able to adjust. I'm guessing the airlines have leaks, easy fix without jacking the truck up. Since you have bags I would see if you can make it work. *I say access is easy but I have a flatbed which makes it simple to get at.

Without bags that bike 5.5ft off the back would kill the handling. it's around 220lbs.

rW9joPXFXhJ0xoNB_tH7ZrOXXStO6hUGjvS01b_ckaOON4VNpg7oqas3Vdqk-U57LdA1yOFP5mJ1nof1ahhKxIIF_0-0Gg_1_uOE99TEhK5Zm04PwFzJDHLkz539sUJ7nkhXFLEe6JMAaKkMztaM982qR6ZOAmCTBv2Qwfe0XJEh_uOxzBW6R-y9pQMWuwAPjS62PgAa7PQ87XouHXQm5yl5pNFBgohReN81eADAQ0xT3ujNkS7gHpg4eV6GhE0N1UPBpPgy5yep3EHaQtIs5e5k5XluiGB8Mfh9vm6dTrRLOiUl98jivKTMfHITtHITN3Pbn1NXXIjn6N1YYRoN8N8u7sZssI0UupvBXaqZBK78wXbVGnSqKf4IsJjMr05PixnkVdVQRKUuWZOGVCslR_D4jKZcQ24Xb6lfYxkpt5-pv_-EBheZK0WpZDzSIlgvlDA4wrucWfuC50OX4_0cHh2iFxfE5Rw7AOKHqLjLYcoQxF2b4dL9j5Mn-3u3_ff5W6LGabFN-U44hdfAivcj0qK-abo-SHLWf90gyzXcXsdITpJ0sSlho4Ojetm1sm6Xne4pwAMnBa26qKQa_UiS9vlOWmd7uH3sxMu45cXQkrOIgGAP_tWOOANBm51ZK5ukfK9QBJ1CRfXwnZtZ9r-nR26a2xcnSdoi01-PEp-NUgV39YPSymAovRfOw6BxKV5YsLf-fig264ZwVUTpT-1U4MNv2A=w1219-h914-no

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior