Rebuilding Old Coleman Stoves

Trikebubble

Adventurer
^ Not an expert by any means but some simple things to check/do. 1) The auxiliary burner on my 60's model 413F will not burn nearly as hot as the main unit - maybe 2/3rds ???, I think this is about normal 2) Check for spider/insect nests in the aux burner tube 3) Remove and clean aux burner plates (note the sequence as they must be reinstalled in the same top to bottom order). Ask the folks here for help http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

Great find by the way.

Thanks. I took it apart, cleaned it up, put it back together and the aux side burns way better now.

perterra

Adventurer
Just a note on the propane adapters, I keep a Coleman 413 from the early 60's in the camper, I keep the original fuel tank as well as a 1# adapter and a bulk tank adapter in the stove. That way I have covered any fuel available.

There are two kinds of 1 pound propane adapters, regulated and non regulated. The regulated work just fine in cooking, the non regulated will put a foot of flame in the air if you crank them up, will also warp the grate and turn it cherry red. Non regulated really works well when you are trying to get a 16 quart pot of crawfish, sausage, corn and potatoes on the boil.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Not sure where to ask this but I think this thread might be the right place.

I finally got myself a Coleman dual fuel stove and tested it out this weekend.

Everything was going pretty well. I thought I was getting the hang of it until it started acting up and I don't know why.

While boiling some water at a fairly high level (let's say 75% capacity on only one burner), the stove would do a big "Poof" sound and the flame would go out. I could start it back up fairly easy afterwards but I don't understand why it did this. The pressure seemed good. The quantity of fuel was about 1/3 in the tank (was that the cause?). It's brand new so I doubt that it's clogged. Any help would be appreciated.

AndrewP

Explorer
Not sure where to ask this but I think this thread might be the right place.

I finally got myself a Coleman dual fuel stove and tested it out this weekend.

Everything was going pretty well. I thought I was getting the hang of it until it started acting up and I don't know why.

While boiling some water at a fairly high level (let's say 75% capacity on only one burner), the stove would do a big "Poof" sound and the flame would go out. I could start it back up fairly easy afterwards but I don't understand why it did this. The pressure seemed good. The quantity of fuel was about 1/3 in the tank (was that the cause?). It's brand new so I doubt that it's clogged. Any help would be appreciated.

It is likely you have crap in the manifold. Stuff like spider webs, mud dauber nests and similar. Clean the manifold and tubes out with a frayed wire or similar, and it will be good to go. These devices are so simple, they almost can't not work. When they don't work, it's usually a simple problem, like a clogged generator.

And yes, there is a main burner, and a secondary burner. The main is hotter than the secondary by a bit. You have to work with it.

Buckshot62

Observer
I joined this cult today.Purchased a 413 G with a manufacture date of May 1974. Paid too much according to this thread (20 bucks), but it will be fun to play with and learn.

AndrewP

Explorer
I joined this cult today.Purchased a 413 G with a manufacture date of May 1974. Paid too much according to this thread (20 bucks), but it will be fun to play with and learn.

$20 is the going rate, and you got a great stove from the golden years of Coleman. Doubt you'll need to do much, but a new cap for the tank (or change the gasket) and possibly a new generator and pump leather, and you're good to go-for decades.

Under $20, any non rusted Coleman is a buy. $20 is the normal price, don't hesitate if you need it. Above $20, may still be a good buy if in pristine condition, a 3 burner, or you have a need, or it's a cool variant (lots of these). Just remember you are buying a superior camp stove for pocket change, and it will last you the rest of your life.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Had an odd issue with the 425e this weekend. Camped at ~6200' on Friday night and couldn't get the pump to pressurize, just pumping in vain. Had the propane adapter so I just used that for breakfast Saturday with a small tank. Puttered a bit more and was able to get it to work intermittently. Had lunch at 8600 feet later in the day, worked with puttering. Seemed to be fine for dinner and the next breakfast. Was the tank overfilled?

AndrewP

Explorer
No. You need a new pump leather. The 425E may have the neoprene pump, which gets hard over time and won't seal. Either get a new one or switch to the leather cup assembly which is better.

Buckshot62

Observer
Thanks AndrewP. Was supposed to look at a 3 burner in Fort Collins for 50 bucks that looked new in pics.Didn't have time to wait on the guy,so passed on it.What should a 3 burner go for ? Are they hard to find ?

AndrewP

Explorer
3 burners are less common and sometimes cost more. It's what they are worth to you. I've paid $10 for a 3 burner and $40 for a 3 burner. All 3 burners are pretty much "ultimate" stoves, and will cook anything you want, for as long as you want. Compare that to a Partner steel stove for 10X the price, and you realize what it's worth. Even at $200 these would be awesome stoves, but for $40, they are a serious bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles