Rango.....1942 Willys MB

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Aren't you running an oddfire Buick V6 or is it a Chebby? Don't remember. If its the Buick you will have fun trying to get a TBI to work...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Aren't you running an oddfire Buick V6 or is it a Chebby? Don't remember. If its the Buick you will have fun trying to get a TBI to work...

Yup, Buick odd-fire. That is one of the main reasons I have stayed away from the TBI rabbit hole.

I think the autolite motorcraft 2100 will be fine once rebuilt and tuned a bit.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Good but pointless...that is a TBI on an odd fire. When I was building my 67 Commando I spent a long while looking into going FI on the oddfire. End result is it could be done (ish) but not worth it. One of FIs greatest advantages is lost on this motor...spark control. And while that may not be such a big deal some places, there in CO it is a big plus while going above/below altitude. Unfortunatly the oddfire doesn't talk well with the TBI computer. Suppoosedly some folks were rumored to have figured it out but that may have been a myth. Sad since I really dig the 225...plenty of zip and with that 50# flywheel its almost as hard to stall as a diesel! For yours I'd just suggest a few things..Go with an aluminum intake to shave some more (more than you'd imagine) weight. Either a MC or small 4brl Eddy with an electric choke. Find an HEI and run that also... they used them for a few years in Buick mid size cars in the late 70s/early 80s. You can even usually order a new one at a decent parts store. Other than that its just a good, reliable motor with plenty to push your lil' flatty around I'd think? If you feel the need for mucho mas... remember that that 225 is related to the Super turboD motor in the Buick Grand National. Sick swap. ;)

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I already have HEI on the engine. It was a nice improvement.

I'm going to try the autolite 2bbl, I have had REALLY good luck with them in the past.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Motorcraft 2bbl for the win!

IMAG0333.jpg

Today I rebuilt the used Motorcraft/Autolite 2bbl carb that I picked up a few months ago. I should have done it much sooner. It beats the holley 2bbl I had in every way. The rebuild kit was only about $14 and came with all new gaskets, power valve, accelerator pump diaphram, etc. It took me about an hour to rebuild it on the tailgate of my truck including some cleaning.

It is a early '72 model with a full manual choke and the smallest size possible, 1.08 if I remember right.

I had to reroute my fuel line and the stock type filter is pretty tight on a Buick v6 since the carb sits pretty far forward.

The jets where #47 units. I would guess they are just a little bit fat, but they work pretty dang well overall so far.

The only real snags I ran into when rebuilding the carb was the check ball in the accelerator pump circuit was stuck. I had to let that sit in some carb cleaner for a little bit. The jets where also VERY tight and I chipped on slightly getting it out. All in all the carb was in pretty good shape.

I set the idle mixture screws 1.5 turns out and started the engine. It seems close. I am sure I will need to tune it a little more via a vacuum gauge and some plug readings, but overall I an REALLY happy with it.

Starts well, idles well, no off idle bog, etc.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One other note. The Motorcraft 2bbl I used had a 5/16-18 thread for the air cleaner stud. The holley I had was 1/4-20.

I changed to a stud with a wing nut and used a neoprene washer under a steel washer to help seal the carb plenum.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
More....

I changed the oil/filter. Fun.

Then I adjusted my drag link a bit. I have come to the conclusion that my current 5" center to center pitman arm is a bit too short with the new steering box. I think I am going to try a stock CJ power steering pitman arm. It's suppose to be 5.5" center to center and flat. It's also the same pitman arm used with my open knuckle D30 front axle....so it has to be close!

Fun Fun

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

I drove it into work this morning. It was a little brisk at 38 degrees but honestly not THAT bad really. My commute to work doesn't go over 50mph so its not bad. The jeep is running better than it ever has. I still need to do some idle mixture tuning, but all in all it's LIGHT YEARS better than with the Holley 2bbl.

Everyone needs a flat fender!

mikeg1713

Adventurer
That's awesome! I've been driving mine to work everyday. It's 40mph and I've kept the windshield down. Everyone should have a flatty r get to drive one for a week or so. Hope to see your jeep in action soon!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It's now running well enough that I can get it off-road a bit more. With the holley it was more swearing than driving.....

I have a slightly longer and flatter pitman arm coming.That should get me a little bit more steering throw with the D30 front. As long as I can get the tires into the springs I will be happy. I need to make sure I get the steering stops back in also to take a little strain off the power steering box.

The 4.30 gearing works ok, but I can see some 5.38s in my future. I am going to try and do front and rear lockers at the same time as gearing.

Before I get too carried away with the off-road testing I need to get some bumpstops installed along with some kind of limiting straps, some slightly longer rear shackles, and trim the rear wheel opening a bit more ( and weld in an edge ).

It never ends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior