Random 6.0 questions...

SHAFT

Observer
Greetings gents,

here's a few for y'all:
1) Which tuner have you guys used or had success with. (6.0 stock head studs, turbo and exhaust)
2) Looking at fender flares but choices for the vans seem a bit limited. Anyone modified truck ones or the like?
3) Anyone done the "dummy plug" replacement with the cab on?

thanks in advance fellas

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'll answer 1 & 3!

1. DP Tuner
3. I would have to say that would be nearly impossible and if it were possible you would probably want to send the van to be crushed afterwards because you'll be really mad.

stormlover

Adventurer
Standpipes and dummy plugs are a PIA. You might consider replacing all your injectors at the same time if your rig is high mileage. It's not a cab off deal like the trucks. These are redesigned OEM parts so good to do if you are in there. At the same time do the updated turbo oil drain and feed lines. Or, leave it alone until you are in there because you will be in deep. To get to the injectors on the passenger side the engine has to be raised and the engine mount removed and then lowered to gain access.

As for tuners, my advice would be to not mess with it. You definitely don't want to go over a very mild HP tune and mileage gains are debatable. Another option is to tune the FICM, or do both. But either way, all you do is increase pressure on the cylinders and head gaskets. For me that is all in hindsight. I couldn't resist the urge to modify the 6.0 either. If I had to do it all over again, I would have pulled the engine from the get-go and done ARP headstuds.

That said, SCT tuner is the ticket for the 6.0. There are no canned tunes for the vans so you will want a tune writer to craft some magic sauce for your rig using your PCM strategy. Go with a mild economy tune and you can also have the shift points on the tranny modified for firmer, crisper shifts.

SHAFT

Observer
I'll answer 1 & 3!

1. DP Tuner
3. I would have to say that would be nearly impossible and if it were possible you would probably want to send the van to be crushed afterwards because you'll be really mad.

That doesn't sound promising, i'd have to be pretty pissed to crush her now, considering all the work that went into the conversion over the summer.... Looks to me like the dummy plugs would be possible but the stand pipes would possibly hit the top of the dog house cuz they're longer

SHAFT

Observer
Standpipes and dummy plugs are a PIA. You might consider replacing all your injectors at the same time if your rig is high mileage. It's not a cab off deal like the trucks. These are redesigned OEM parts so good to do if you are in there. At the same time do the updated turbo oil drain and feed lines. Or, leave it alone until you are in there because you will be in deep. To get to the injectors on the passenger side the engine has to be raised and the engine mount removed and then lowered to gain access.

hey Joe, I've done the turbo drain, STC fitting, EGR delete and oil cooler re-locate so i'm good to go there. I've always viewed the headstuds and injectors as a cab-off thing, probably just because i don't have a lift and i've got no desire to mess with them. i'm at 155k on the clock and i'm just mainly focused on getting the best from the engine while maintaining reliability.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That doesn't sound promising, i'd have to be pretty pissed to crush her now, considering all the work that went into the conversion over the summer.... Looks to me like the dummy plugs would be possible but the stand pipes would possibly hit the top of the dog house cuz they're longer

Little bit or sarcasm in my post :) If you can get the body off I would recommend it that way. If not then it will be much more difficult.

stormlover

Adventurer
I believe Ujoint has done it but cab off on the van isn't happening unless it's an empty panel van. For headstuds the engine needs to come out. From the front. Injectors you just have to do the engine mount dealio.

When you did the STC fitting did you replace the screen and/or check the IPR valve. The kit comes with a new screen but low injection oil pressure will cause a hard start condition. Have you ruled out the ICP sensor? http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/60l-icp-sensor-failures-r32

This might help too. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/6.0LICPSystemLeaks

SHAFT

Observer
I believe Ujoint has done it but cab off on the van isn't happening unless it's an empty panel van. For headstuds the engine needs to come out. From the front. Injectors you just have to do the engine mount dealio.

When you did the STC fitting did you replace the screen and/or check the IPR valve. The kit comes with a new screen but low injection oil pressure will cause a hard start condition. Have you ruled out the ICP sensor? http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/60l-icp-sensor-failures-r32

This might help too. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/6.0LICPSystemLeaks

Yea did the IPR valve and screen deal too at the same time that i did the oil cooler and the EGR....it was when i first got the van in the winter of 2011 so after time i've forgotten what all i did. As for the ICP sensor, haven't experienced any surging and can see any leaks but i'll give it a more critical look next time i'm in there.
So funny that you can take any forum thread and type "6.0" followed by either "EGR", "head stud" or "hard start" and it'll instantly turn into mechanics corner. :) I like to think of all the 6.0 owners who've gone to the dealership and educated their staff over the years.

SHAFT

Observer
Little bit or sarcasm in my post :) If you can get the body off I would recommend it that way. If not then it will be much more difficult.

yea, i kinda figured that one of the three people in the world flying the flag for the E(extinct)-Series wouldn't be openly advocating the crusher. Pretty sure you could set V-4 on fire and roll it down a hill, and you'd still have a line of buyers for it that stretched around the block.

Eric3187

Adventurer
on my 06 that i had, i did all the upgrades except standpipes, dummy plugs and head studs.
so it had EGR delete, new cooler, stc fittings, drain tube, removed and cleaned turbo, yadda yadda. but i ran an SCT tuner and tune files from 5Star tuning as they are familar with vans and RV type tunes.
man that thing had some power, monitoring temps on the EDGE CTS, it had no issues and ran better than before the upgrades.
the tune i ran was an 80Hp Street tune or the 60HP towing tune.
the best fuel mileage i managed (hand calculated) was 24mpg in a 1 ton extended cargo lightly loaded. 65-70mph on the highway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior