Ram 2500 gasoline extended gas tank help

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Titan can't make gasoline tanks because of EPA emissions regulations.......the tanks would be pretty much exactly like their diesel tanks if they did. ;)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The one of the reasons why no one makes a larger tank for gas trucks is emissions. When you have a larger than stock tank the truck will think there is a vapor leak due to the extra empty volume when the tank is almost empty. This will cause the truck to throw a code for something like gas cap not tight. I was in the same position as you. I had a 08 ford F250 with a V10 that had a 26 gallon tank. To extend my range I put a RDS transfer tank in the bed of the truck. I T'ed into the stock filler neck with a brass t fitting. With a normally closed solenoid valve on the drain plug I ran a fuel line down to a pump and filter that would pump gas into the main tank while driving. And since it had that valve on the aux tank, the stock tank still vented through the factory set up. It worked really good. The only thing I would of done different is install a inertia switch in line so in case you get into an accident, the pump will shut off. I have pics somewhere in case you are interested.

The regular cab longbed trucks had a 38 gallon tank and the Excursion had a 44 gallon tank, both with the gas engine.
All the emissions equipment looks very very similar.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Titan can't make gasoline tanks because of EPA emissions regulations.......the tanks would be pretty much exactly like their diesel tanks if they did. ;)

So basically it would be like the "head shops" in Colorado pre-legalization: "Oh, no, this bong is for tobacco only. We don't condone illegal drug use." :rolleyes:

Oilbrnr

Sent a message to Brown Davis. I will update this thread if I get a response. I'm bet they will say 'no'. I'm sure their tank will fit, just apprehensive on cost and fuel sender. Plumbing can always be sorted out. They just Y off the stock filler hose so both tanks are filled at the same time in their diesel RAM setup. I don't think there is any difference between the CTD and PW frames at least in that rear section. FYI, the tank is 31gallons. :oops:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
FUN FACTS...

I've been researching this a lot lately...

For almost all Rams 2500/3500/4500/5500, if you look up their OEM fuel tank part numbers for both the gas and diesel, they're 100% identical.

They use the same tank for both gas and diesel in a ton of models (not sure if ALL).

Aftermarket companies won't go on record via phone or email stating compatibility for obvious reasons, but the OEM part numbers are the same...

Transfer Flow and Titan tanks that say diesel only on their website, its a liability thing, not a compatibility thing, they are the exact same tanks.

My .02

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Sent a message to Brown Davis. I will update this thread if I get a response. I'm bet they will say 'no'. I'm sure their tank will fit, just apprehensive on cost and fuel sender. Plumbing can always be sorted out. They just Y off the stock filler hose so both tanks are filled at the same time in their diesel RAM setup. I don't think there is any difference between the CTD and PW frames at least in that rear section. FYI, the tank is 31gallons. :oops:

They at least have the parts - I have seen one installed in a hemi 1500 (PCOR did an episode where they built a hemi 1500 and installed one). There is a US distributor... Funny - I sent them a message last night as well. If you are interested, we could at least split shipping to the USA.

Oilbrnr

Well, at BM said, the domestic makers of the aux diesel tanks would also fit. It would be back to sender compatibility and plumbing.

As to the interchange of the plastic OEM tanks, really doesn't help much as the bigger tanks on the 4500/5500 are on a different frame.

TwinStick

Explorer
Another thing to consider is if ever selling it or trading it. When I traded our holy grail truck in (08' PW w/G-56), the first thing that they did is put it on the lift & went over the entire emissions & exhaust system & told me flat out, "if it ain't factory stock with all emissions intact, we won't accept it on trade." Something to consider if selling to an out of state-er too. Nobody wants that hassle.

In our lovely state of NY, I also inquired about the legal way to add fuel capacity to our PW. It had to be a "NYState dot approved tank & be installed by a dot approved fuel tank install shop", of which there were only 4 that I could find. When I called them, they laughed & said at least 8 months wait & $2500-$5000 install, ballpark figure, on top of the $2500 tank.

Downsized to a ZR2 diesel. Pulls our same camper just fine & gets 2-3x the mpg doing it. Sometimes diesel can be a hassle when traveling but I just prepare for it. I have 1, 5 gal fuel jug for def & 2, for diesel. I carry them empty on the roof rack. When needed, I fill them up. Also come in handy when only the giant fill nozzles are at the diesel pumps. We ran into that about 5x on our trip across the country. Even more so on the east coast. 10 gallons of diesel gets us 220-280 miles, towing about 130-200 miles depending on wind & hills & how hard I am driving.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well, at BM said, the domestic makers of the aux diesel tanks would also fit. It would be back to sender compatibility and plumbing.

As to the interchange of the plastic OEM tanks, really doesn't help much as the bigger tanks on the 4500/5500 are on a different frame.

If you already have the sender from original one, it’s all bolt in, it’s all the same

glock7018

The regular cab longbed trucks had a 38 gallon tank and the Excursion had a 44 gallon tank, both with the gas engine.
All the emissions equipment looks very very similar.
The ECM is programmed for whatever tank tank you have. I think 08+ is when they the got more critical about tank venting.

Oilbrnr

If you already have the sender from original one, it’s all bolt in, it’s all the same
Ok, put original sender into what tank? There isn't an OEM one that is bigger. The Titan tanks are only for long beds, and their spare tire tank would be turned into a sieve off-road. The 45/5500 are CC flat frames.

Am I missing something? Apparently you know something we don't so do share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz