Ram 2500/3500 Info

SoTxAg06

I recall there were also some issues with the ride failing and steering linkage design changes from a few generation of trucks

I thought it was 2003-2008/9 model years, but I also found 500,000 trucks were recalled for component separation:

2014-2017 Ram 2500 pickups
2013-2017 Ram 3500 pickups
2013-2017 Ram chassis cab trucks

My 2018 has a recall for the drag link also. Pretty sure they addressed it by changing the design on the 2019+. Of course, their fix for the recall is to tach weld the nuts that come loose on the drag link. It’s a poor fix vs. offering a new piece IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxAg06

Anyone have any issues with the LSD in a 14+ 2500?

My truck started shuddering hard when turning and occasionally when backing up yesterday afternoon. It felt like something was binding in the rear end. Nothing visual that I could see on the outside, and no codes being thrown. Right at 16K on it, so warranty should cover whatever happened.

I’m still waiting to hear back from the local Ram Dealership. They hadn’t looked at it as of yesterday afternoon. Told them I really needed the truck back for work ASAP, so we will see what they do.

chet6.7

Explorer
I’m still waiting to hear back from the local Ram Dealership. They hadn’t looked at it as of yesterday afternoon. Told them I really needed the truck back for work ASAP, so we will see what they do.

I dimly remember some posts on cummins forum about adding friction modifier to the diff.I don't remember anything more as I didn't have the problem that was being discussed,anyway,if the dealer can't solve it,a search on CF may provide some info.

Oilbrnr

As to the drag link recall, my '16 PW, according to a recent letter from FCA still has no official fix. Having just installed a Thuren/King 3.0 suspension up front, I need to adjust said link this weekend as the new springs raised the front 1.75" and wheel is no longer centered. The jam nut(s) are 41mm. I'm going to use a bit of Loctite and call it good after adjustment. No worries.

SoTxAg06

Turns out that at less than 16K Miles, my truck needs a new torque converter, and some other parts. Doesn’t bode well for a truck that doesn’t tow heavy all. Still waiting to find out all the details as the service manager I am dealing with was out to lunch.

D45

Explorer
the 68 came out in 2007 as the standard transmission behind the cummins and have been continually improved and strengthened. From what i can discern, the 6.4 and the 68 have been paired together as standard since 2014, which is also when the 6.4 came out.

Your 66 or 68 is broke?

16k miles......what year is the truck?

SoTxAg06

Your 66 or 68 is broke?

16k miles......what year is the truck?

It’s a 2018. Build sheet says 66RFE with the 6.4L.

Edit, pic of the build sheet:
41e9369d3bdfcd3df0592df109a6ce27.jpg

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I recall there were also some issues with the ride failing and steering linkage design changes from a few generation of trucks

I thought it was 2003-2008/9 model years, but I also found 500,000 trucks were recalled for component separation:

2014-2017 Ram 2500 pickups
2013-2017 Ram 3500 pickups
2013-2017 Ram chassis cab trucks

Drag link. Most of us just replaced it with the Synergy unit for $300 rather than have the dealer weld the threads.

I don't know what you are referring to about the "ride failing." Everything today has recalls. Everything.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
As to the drag link recall, my '16 PW, according to a recent letter from FCA still has no official fix. Having just installed a Thuren/King 3.0 suspension up front, I need to adjust said link this weekend as the new springs raised the front 1.75" and wheel is no longer centered. The jam nut(s) are 41mm. I'm going to use a bit of Loctite and call it good after adjustment. No worries.

See above.
Synergy.
$300.

Night and day difference in quality from stock.

D45

Explorer
Still confusion about the 66 and 68 trans, what years had what versions

68RFE:
Owners pointed to weak spots in the 2007-11 units, particularly the torque converter. Partly for that reason, in 2012, when Ram started selling a higher-output Cummins diesel truck (with 800 lb-ft of torque), they beefed up the torque converter and modified the shift algorithms for durability.

Explorerinil

Observer
Still confusion about the 66 and 68 trans, what years had what versions

68RFE:
Owners pointed to weak spots in the 2007-11 units, particularly the torque converter. Partly for that reason, in 2012, when Ram started selling a higher-output Cummins diesel truck (with 800 lb-ft of torque), they beefed up the torque converter and modified the shift algorithms for durability.
Cummins trucks all have the 68 or Aisin trans depending on the year and if it’s chassis cab, they started offering the Aisin in 3500 trucks with the HO cummins. I am not aware the 68 came with gas trucks, I though it was just the 66 or Aisin if chassis cab.

SoTxAg06

Cummins trucks all have the 68 or Aisin trans depending on the year and if it’s chassis cab, they started offering the Aisin in 3500 trucks with the HO cummins. I am not aware the 68 came with gas trucks, I though it was just the 66 or Aisin if chassis cab.

This is what I have seen after looking for other people with the problem I am having. From what I have read the 66 shares a lot of the same parts (including gear set) with the 68, but is physically a different case. It’s was available since 2012 with the 6.4. The 68 and Aisin are available in the diesel trucks. Not sure about the Aisin in the cab and chassis gas pickups.

My issue is ongoing and currently has not been resolved. Long story short, local dealership is waiting on parts which should be in next week. For some reason, they were hesitant, or didn’t want to go through the process to provide a rental. It’s odd, because it should be provided under the power train warranty.

It took me going to the dealership to get answers as they wouldn’t call me back in a timely manner. They said my truck is safe to drive in the mean time. I was made clear that if it had additional issues caused by driving, it would be towed, and they would fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior