Question: Tacoma normal water temp?

juicebox

Adventurer
I always run 190° via ScanGauge. I have never seen over 193°. That's only going up the canyon or something. I thought 190°~ish was running hot before I read this thread.

For the record; 2002 ex. cab Tacoma 4x4 5 speed, 71K miles.

01tundra

Explorer
That is weird on the differences in the jiggle valve location, seems like with that regard an engine is an engine....but who knows.

It hit 91 F yesterday and with the A/C on, my truck was running it's old 184 F normal and high of 186 F, like it did the 9 yrs prior to me changing out the t-stat.

I believe I'm going to stick with the 170 F Stant t-stat for now, it seems to be doing well for me.

amocaT

Adventurer
Over the weekend, I flipped the thermostat in my 2002 3.4L 4runner so the "jiggle valve" was at 6 o-clock instead of 12 o-clock as it had been. The FSM for the 4runner states it should be at 6 o-clock, so maybe it's different from the Tundras?

My temps went from 202-206 (jiggle valve at 12) down to 190-193 (jiggle valve at 6). This is a 180 degree thermostat. I'm happy now I guess.

Wow, Thanks. Gotta try check my jiggler valve.

D

Deleted member 9101

Am I the only one who drills holes in his thermostat? Granted I live where freezing is not an option, but the holes let it run a bit cooler and if the thermostat ever fails there will still be coolant circulating.

amocaT

Adventurer
Checked my jiggler, it was at the 12 position. Turned it to 6 position. It's now running mostly at 190...and only jumping to 193. Ran it for 120 miles in 105 degree heat. It was the jiggler. Thanks everybody.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Wow, I'm tempted to go swap mine for giggles. My max in this summer heat has been 211* on a steep grade with the SC wrapping up. How long did the rotate take you? Lie to me so I'm motivated to go do it :D

cruiseroutfit

8 minutes.

So, get after it!

If your t-stat is not too old I'd bet money that this is it with yours as well. I've never seen this mentioned as the potential culprit on any forum before this one. As mentioned before, even the service manager at the local dealer did not point this out as a potential cause (he knows I am a customer for parts only, so I don't think he was baiting me to bring the truck in for work)...

So mine take a little more than 8 minutes :D

With the SC you have to remove the dip stick, belt, idler pulley and idler mounting plate, then you can access the thermostat housing. Sure enough my jiggle valve was at 12 o'clock. Rather than put it back together with the OEM 180* thermostat I've got a TRD 160* thermostat on the way, I should see it with my Tuesday stock order. The truck will sit idle until then. I've still got to reassemble the front end and battery assortment. Had to remove a ton of stuff to get access to my failed frame motor mount :eek: She is all welded up and stronger than every, not going to fail twice but the amount of work it takes to get to all of that is unreal. Makes me miss swapping brackets on a Cruiser :D

Results to come, with hot desert days here in Utah I was consistently running in the 195* range, spiking up to 212 on passes with the SC blasting away. Hoping for a 10* improvement.

cruiseroutfit

TRD thermostat came in, sure enough its a 71*C rating and my truck hovers just about 170-170*F at idle & slow driving and up to 185*F at WOT up a decent grade with the SC in full load. I'm really hoping my temps drop this much in the full heat of the day up extended drops. I'd be happy with a 10* drop. Hard to say if it was solely the TRD thermostat or if the jiggle valved played a large role, either way I'm happy for now! :cool:

austintaco

Explorer
183-211, from what I can remember. I used my scan gauge on my recent Colorado trip and these temps were with my truck fully loaded. The outside temps ranged from 58 - 107.

sargeek

Adventurer
Tacoma temp guage

The temp guage on my 06 Tacoma never seems to move out of dead center once the engine is hot. It gets me thinking that it might just be a glorified warning light rather then a guage.

If the on board engine managment computer thinks the engine is cold, it sends no signal to the guage. Once the engine gets into the operating range, it sends a signal to the guage, and the needle goes to dead center. If the computer gets an overheat situation then it will move the needle to the maximum position.

I have driven the truck from -18 to 108, form 2,000 feet to over 10,000 feet, and I have never had the guage move from dead center once the truck has warmed up. So I am thinking this is just a glorified ediot light rather than a true temprature guage.

Thoughts?

cruiseroutfit

Update: Max temp after replacing the thermostat and correctly positioning the jiggle valve, 208* and that was on a 100+ degree day. I'm content with that :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz