Question/advice needed from Land Rover guys!

Mr. Moore

Observer
Hi all,
I have been primarily in the domestic forum on here, but I am selling an '82 GMC and the guy that's interested in it wants to trade me a Discovery II for it. I've only seen pictures of the disco and it seems like it is in decent shape. I know that Ill have to re solder the window ecu as the rear windows aren't working but the guy says the disco runs and drives well. Since I don't know a lot about Land Rovers I thought maybe you all could tell me if you think it might be a good trade. My GMC is nothing special and I had it priced at $2500 and I'm wanting something a little more capable for getting off the beaten path. I'm going to look at the disco tomorrow so any info and or advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

adelatoa

Adventurer
If he can't provide any maintenance records walk away. I personally prefer the discovery 1 after having owned both just due to less electrical issues and the issue the later discovery have with slip-liners on their engine blocks. Google Slip-liner discovery II.

Mr. Moore

Observer
liner slip

I googled the liner problem, and it seems to be mostly an issue with the motor being over heated and or lack of proper care. I will definitely take that into consideration.

LR Max

Local Oaf
X2 on records. And take time to review the records.

They all need head gaskets around the 100k mark (+/- 20k). So if its been done, awesome. Also look for new cooling components.

A Bluetooth OBD2 is your friend with these trucks. Get one. They are like, $20 off amazon. Plug it in and drive around. Data log and see what the engine is doing. That'll tell you more about what is going on inside more than anything else.

If it is well taken care of, then its probably worth it. They are fun trucks. The traction control off road works REALLY well.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Definitely get the records and if done at a dealer, talk to them about the vehicle. I bought an 07 LR3 that had unknown overheating issues not mentioned by PO and it cost me $7K to have the heads machined. It is good now but that info would have been take into account before buying.
Take someone with you that knows LR vehicles and maybe take it to a service place for an exam, the cost for that will be worth not having the headache later.

Stamos

Pre purchase inspection at either a dealer or an import specific repair facility.

Best 100-200 bucks you can spend.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thread necro. Wonder what happened, it's been a few weeks since the post that he was going to go look at one the next day.

+2, get an expert to look it over. If you can find an independent shop that does Land Rovers that might be better than a dealer (other than pulling the service records). Not many folks are taking Discovery 2s to the dealership for service these days. We are seeing less and less of them ourselves.

At least with the 7.3PSD you'll have something to haul it around with when it breaks down. :)

Mr. Moore

Observer
I ended up doing the trade. There were no records with the vehicle, but I did look it over very closely. It has had the front driveshaft replaced already and other than a few electrical issues that I have already addressed, it just needs tires and the passenger front window regulator fixed. Everything else seems to be in good working order. 147,000 on the clock but it seems to have been serviced regularly. I do have the 7.3 PSD to go retrieve it with if need be lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior