Quality gloves

slomatt

Adventurer
+1 to ITTOG's question about what type of gloves, but to kick things off...

I really like CLC Contractor XC gloves as a general multi-use option. These provide good dexterity and hold up well over time. I've had multiple pairs and eventually the fingers tend to split open but only after significant wear. These are good for general offroad use for recoveries (not w/ wire rope), rock stacking, brush clearing, collecting firewood, mechanical repairs, etc.

I also like to carry a pair of full leather gloves for use around the fire and for cooking (hot pad substitute). These are also good loaners when friends forget to bring their own gloves. If you have a winch with a wire rope then using full leather gloves is a good idea since the rope can fray. You can find a 2 pack of Wells Lamont gloves for a good price at Costco from time to time. I "splurged" and bought a pair of Classic Give'r Gloves, these are well made and have some insulation so they can also be used to keep your hands warm in colder weather.

I also recommend carrying multiple pairs of nitrile gloves for first aid usage and if you have to deal with any automotive fluids. Preferably in a color other than black so you can see if there is blood on your gloves if checking someone for injuries. These are also useful when dealing with something like raw chicken and you want to save water by avoiding having to wash your hands.

Oh, and personally I also carry a pair of Gorilla Grip gloves. These are inexpensive and lightweight, and I frequently use them when working on the truck at home.

OliverPhotograph

+1 to ITTOG's question about what type of gloves, but to kick things off...

I really like CLC Contractor XC gloves as a general multi-use option. These provide good dexterity and hold up well over time. I've had multiple pairs and eventually the fingers tend to split open but only after significant wear. These are good for general offroad use for recoveries (not w/ wire rope), rock stacking, brush clearing, collecting firewood, mechanical repairs, etc.

I also like to carry a pair of full leather gloves for use around the fire and for cooking (hot pad substitute). These are also good loaners when friends forget to bring their own gloves. If you have a winch with a wire rope then using full leather gloves is a good idea since the rope can fray. You can find a 2 pack of Wells Lamont gloves for a good price at Costco from time to time. I "splurged" and bought a pair of Classic Give'r Gloves, these are well made and have some insulation so they can also be used to keep your hands warm in colder weather.

I also recommend carrying multiple pairs of nitrile gloves for first aid usage and if you have to deal with any automotive fluids. Preferably in a color other than black so you can see if there is blood on your gloves if checking someone for injuries. These are also useful when dealing with something like raw chicken and you want to save water by avoiding having to wash your hands.

Oh, and personally I also carry a pair of Gorilla Grip gloves. These are inexpensive and lightweight, and I frequently use them when working on the truck at home.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will consider this suggestion.

One of my dumbest purchases was a pair of Filson goat skin gloves. Terrible and certainly pricey. Learned my lesson.
I live a couple miles from Filson HQ and walked in for the first time expecting to leave with some quality Filson tagged item. I left empty handed. I must have made the circuit down every aisle and touched each pile 3x. Even a baseball cap was $75 so I just shrugged and left.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

And......great for dealing with mechanical issues and gray tank/black tank/poo bag issue.

I've kinda moved away from leather gloves and use Milwaukee brand flex gloves (or Gorilla Grip, etc....). The rubberized palm is flexible, sensitive and protective enough that I use them all year round in the mountains, whether chainsawing, dragging trees, running the tractor, working on vehicles, shoveling snow and even moving textiles around and pulling inventory due to their great grip on cardboard boxes. They seem to last twice as long and are 3 times cheaper then leather gloves so, I can buy the multi-pack and leave a pair in every vehicle. And, since I've gone all synth on my recovery gear they work great pulling a winch line.

D4204B83-C10E-4B90-A978-C1F83EA25DC9.jpeg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I live a couple miles from Filson HQ and walked in for the first time expecting to leave with some quality Filson tagged item. I left empty handed. I must have made the circuit down every aisle and touched each pile 3x. Even a baseball cap was $75 so I just shrugged and left.

Bummer..... Love their stuff and have a crap ton of it but, it does seem to be getting more and more expensive. But, since I'm in the the textile world I can see why they price their gear the way they do.

Cheers.

86scotty

Cynic
I usually have minions do the manual labor. I have tender hands.

Not sure why anyone would risk their precious 10 fingers when laborers are at the ready. Fingers don’t grow back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgaz

Adventurer
And......great for dealing with mechanical issues and gray tank/black tank/poo bag issue.

I've kinda moved away from leather gloves and use Milwaukee brand flex gloves (or Gorilla Grip, etc....). The rubberized palm is flexible, sensitive and protective enough that I use them all year round in the mountains, whether chainsawing, dragging trees, running the tractor, working on vehicles, shoveling snow and even moving textiles around and pulling inventory due to their great grip on cardboard boxes. They seem to last twice as long and are 3 times cheaper then leather gloves so, I can buy the multi-pack and leave a pair in every vehicle. And, since I've gone all synth on my recovery gear they work great pulling a winch line.

View attachment 771958
This^^^! I bought a six pack of these at Xmas for less than $20.
Watch for a possible sale around fathers day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior