Q about propane systems winter storage

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Reluctantly we’re heading home to the still too hot desert after 3 great months on the road exploring in the northern rockies and the upper midwest, so I’ll sadly be getting ready to park the beast for the winter soon.

My question (something I’ve never thought about in the 50 years of camping):

When I shut up my rig for the winter I will of course turn off the propane at the tank’s main valve.

But I wonder...should I bleed off the propane still left in the lines after that main shut off? I mean, there’s still gas remaining in the various lines going to the furnace, the water heater, the stove, etc.

So, does leaving the propane in those lines help maintain their health in any way while the rig is in storage? Or is it better to bleed it out of the system entirely for a long period of rig storage? Or does it even matter?

Hmmm...I’ve just never really given any thought to that, but I seem to have too much time on my hands these days so thus this perhaps absurd pondering.

Opinions? Advice?

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I never gave it any thought in the five years I had my travel trailer. I think shutting the tank off is sufficient.
If I was to do anything more it would probably be turning off the tank while the appliances were running in order to empty the lines.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I’d leave it, shouldn’t be any moisture in LP so better than atmosphere. But probably doesn’t much matter either way

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
yeah, thx guys....,

I was just wondering about the issue of the gas being under pressure, as it is sitting in the various lines for months on end until my next trip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior