pull pal alternatives

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Sorry, yeah, that wasn't clear. I don't intend on using the Hi-Lift beam. I agree, that the 7lbs or whatever weight savings isn't really worth worrying about compared to the disadvantages of using the Hi-Lift parts.

Gotcha. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, with an item such as these there is plenty of room for some creative changes. :sombrero:

Nibstools

Home made Pull pal

Well I appreciate all the good input here. I have not had alot of chance to test this yet. the ground in my neck of the woods is frozen solid. I did get the point into the ground and was able to winch my YJ across my driveway with the parking brake on and 4wd set. all four wheels were locked and skidding across the driveway. the unit held up great so far. I am not trying to steal anyones ideas but just don't have 400 bucks to spend on one of those. I may consider replacing the upper bar with a generic tube. Definately need some strong stuff for that. Have less than 100 invested including the Hilift.

Nibstools

pull pal alternative

There was some talk about getting the workings of the hi-lift full of dirt. I found that the jack portion comes of the shaft very easily. Remove the base, set the Up/Down selector to the down position and the whole mechanism will slide right off. So the only thing that will be getting dirty is the shaft. This can be easily wiped off right away and really hosed off later. here are some pics.

Attachments

• with jack removed2.jpg
    with jack removed2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 235
  • with jack removed.jpg
    with jack removed.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 254

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There was some talk about getting the workings of the hi-lift full of dirt. I found that the jack portion comes of the shaft very easily. Remove the base, set the Up/Down selector to the down position and the whole mechanism will slide right off. So the only thing that will be getting dirty is the shaft. This can be easily wiped off right away and really hosed off later. here are some pics.

Correct, we've been down this path... I simply contend the time involved with disassembling a hi-lift, bolting together your anchor and then reversing that for stowing isn't worth the 7 lbs of potential weight savings. If space is a major issue I could understand.

A different idea, making the main beam of your anchor serve as a handle for your hi-lift. One pin quick removal and it could be longer than the standard hi-lift handle for better leverage (and more jaw busting destructive ability :eek:). And if your hi-lift mounting is based on the mast like many are, you could likely leave it in place while simply pulling the handle out for your anchor device.

skysix

Adventurer
A different idea, making the main beam of your anchor serve as a handle for your hi-lift. One pin quick removal and it could be longer than the standard hi-lift handle for better leverage (and more jaw busting destructive ability ). And if your hi-lift mounting is based on the mast like many are, you could likely leave it in place while simply pulling the handle out for your anchor device.

Now there's a concept - so what we then have is the spade, a dedicated length of chain, and a 'connector' piece.

So now one device (with accessories) can be a winch, anchor, jack, clamp, and potentially a weird looking pickaxe/scythe!

Sirocco

Explorer
Putting our 'Kitty Gripper' to work in the Lake District (UK) 1st time used and I dont regret carrying it. 2nd pic is it stowed in the D90 blade is attached with 2 M12 bolts secured with R clips.

I believe it is a copy of the Pull Pal bought here in the UK 2nd hand for ~$40-$60 Dont think they made that many though.

168627_195230897169355_161256027233509_701784_1326397_n.jpgDSC00004.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 193

Offroadsolo

Pushing this thread back into the sunlight. ?
I built "sky trappers" land anchor about 2 years ago and gave it a barrage of testing recently. It really works great and budget friendly.
Here's a video I made of testing and mods . Hope you all enjoy.
The only difference is the bigger 16" plow and changed the angle.
There is also a ton of info on others self built land anchors I've put in the description box and what angles work or fail.
Now go have fun building.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles