PSA regarding vehicle service

Verkstad

Raggarkung
It must be hard for you to be called the shared title of human. Ha!
Why do you assume I am human ?
Regardless, any legitimate 'ExPo guy will recognise 'human' is not a professional title. Or does it require any extra effort of education.
Over in the UK some blue collar workers are called engineers. You don't see the the ASME card carriers up in arms about it.
I dunno what somebodys collar of colour has to do with anything ?
Perhaps ASME members are friendly bunch and accepting of professional titles used other countries ?
Btw, one does not need to be an accredited Engineer to hold ASME membership.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Lurker
When I worked at jiffy lube as a teenager in 2001-2002ish I made 9/hr with no benefits. After graduating high school I went to auto tech school(2 yrs) while working nights in a factory for 13/hr. Near the end of that program I tested #1 in my class, they wanted to send me to some kind of mechanic student competition thing but I said no because I had to work, point being I'm not incompetent. After graduating that program the only shop that would hire me payed me the same 9/hr no benefits that I made in high school . It was a (dysfunctional)family business I quit after a couple months and I went back to factory work, which is much easier and payed much better.
I don't know what my point is, something about good shops being hard to find for techs too?

leeleatherwood

The hardest thing I do today is buy quality, be it house repairs or car repairs, I do as much as I can myself, I cannot tell you how many times I have had to redo a repair, because it was not done right. You take something back to the shop to get redone and all you get is attitude, like how dare you complain about it not being done right. I was an aircraft mechanic for years and can do most hings myself, but when time is tight I have to rely on others, and it is almost always done wrong. If I find a good shop, its like hitting the lottery! But those guys a few and far between. I cannot tell you how many times I went to the more expensive shop because it had a good reputation only to be disappointed.

Its not even just "a good shop" you have to worry about.

Its a "good mechanic".

Shops employ mechanics of all skill levels, enthusiasm, knowledge, drug habits, work ethic, etc. You might find a mechanic who is the most excellent mechanic in the world when hes broke, but as soon as payday comes around all he cares about is getting off work so he can buy some crackrocks, if that means getting vehicles out the door with shady workmanship, so be it.

Will agree that if you can do it yourself, it's the way to go. Find a good service manual, a few good youtube videos, and most tasks are easily completed at home with basic tools. Added bonus of a gained sense of satisfaction and an expanded skillset after completion.

With that being said, I recently got screwed by a local AAMCO. +1 to those who have noted to stay away from the national chains. My 01 Tacoma started making some unpleasant noises from the gear box. I don't have the time to learn how to rebuild an auto transmission, so I took it to a shop. Was quoted $2300 (reasonable price for an auto transmission rebuild), so I authorized them to pull the transmission ($890 deposit- first red flag).

Next day I get a call saying it's going to total $3700. I went into the shop and talked to the manager and owner- neither could provide a reason as to why my rebuild was going to cost $1400 more than quoted. Labor alone was $2100 - and this was their "standard # of hours for this tranny"- at this point it was clear to me that with labor and parts it was NEVER going to be close to their quote. They acted like it was no big deal for a job to cost 50% more than a quote. They started blabbering about the cost of business going up each year... sure... but did it go up 50% in 24 hours? I don't think so assholes.

Classic bait and switch. They already had $890 out of my pocket so I was stuck with them unless I wanted to walk away with $890 already lost and with no repair. Makes me sick to my stomach that I got caught up in that scam. After talking to some friends and family who live local, turns out this shop has a bad reputation... Still losing sleep over this one.

javajoe79

Fabricator
As far as what they should be called ? I have no perfect answer aside from their traditional professional titles.
Its demeaning to those of professional ethics, more knowledge, training, and empowerment to bear the same title as the thread stripping, tyrevalve cap stealing 'tards at Kwikie Lube.
So really you just think the kwikie lube guys don’t deserve the title. Also you shouldn’t say tard or any other version of that word in that fashion. It is considered inappropriate.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
So really you just think the kwikie lube guys don’t deserve the title.
Not at all.
Aside from the sloppy & indifferent guys who would be better titled as unemployed.
It suits the low skill / knowledge needs of an oil and filter changer or many other cookie cutter type of service / repair jobs.

The guys of vast knowlege and expertise. Who take seriously their job, keep updated on education, certifications and so on dont appreciate being associated by title with some Lubetard drainplug stripper.
Also you shouldn’t say tard or any other version of that word in that fashion. It is considered inappropriate.
Great idea !

Last edited:

jadmt

Not at all.
Aside from the sloppy & indifferent guys who would be better titled as unemployed.
It suits the low skill / knowledge needs of oil and filter changing or many other cookie cutter type of service / repair job.

The guys of vast knowlege. Who take seriously their job. Keep updated on education, certifications and so on dont appreciate being associated by title with Lubetard the Drainplug Stripper.
Great idea !
You are an ass but but I’m sure you are proud of that title as you wear it well.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
You are an ass but but I’m sure you are proud of that title as you wear it well.
Thanks anyway, but I cant share that professional title with you.
But you are partially right. Its about pride.

TylerA23

My wife took her van to a nation wide chain a while back (I was out of town and we had a coupon :) ) and they told her she needed a new cabin air filter. She was quoted about $60 for this "badly needed" cabin air filter. I was out of town, and she called to get my opinion to which I obviously told her to decline the generous offer for this service.

The next time her vehicle came around for service I was going to be out of town again.... and of course the coupons were readily available, so we planned for her to take it back to the same shop. Before leaving though I went and got a new cabin air filter for $hits and giggles, and put it in. I'll be d@mned if they didn't once again tell her she "absolutely needed" her cabin air filter replaced.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
Thats a standard tactic.
I taken new trucks in for first oil change they claim its air filter is badly clogged. Those happen to be Chevrolet using Donaldson restriction indicators, so I ask them whats the indicator showing ? Of course, they are clueless...
I went on to have fun with their load of crap.
Before going to Jiffy Lube, I would put things inside the airbox what might ‘surprise’ their workers.
I always checked filters, tyre pressure, bulbs myself. There was no need to allow them to check those things. So they would have no excuse trying to sell extra stuff.

Initially I would specifically request several times “change oilfilter & oil, nothing else”.
First time I did that, the gal nearly shít when she opened the airbox to find a dead squirrel inside. Then in a straight face remind them of the request and ask why they opened the airfilter. It was fun to hear their blabbering replies.
Despite changing oil every couple months, I seldom went to the same location twice, combined with technician turnover, it was always a new surprise to them.
All in fun to reply to their own deceptive sales tactics.
My wife took her van to a nation wide chain a while back (I was out of town and we had a coupon :) ) and they told her she needed a new cabin air filter. She was quoted about $60 for this "badly needed" cabin air filter. I was out of town, and she called to get my opinion to which I obviously told her to decline the generous offer for this service.

The next time her vehicle came around for service I was going to be out of town again.... and of course the coupons were readily available, so we planned for her to take it back to the same shop. Before leaving though I went and got a new cabin air filter for $hits and giggles, and put it in. I'll be d@mned if they didn't once again tell her she "absolutely needed" her cabin air filter replaced.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Not at all.
It suits the low skill / knowledge needs of an oil and filter changer or many other cookie cutter type of service / repair jobs.

The guys of vast knowlege and expertise. Who take seriously their job, keep updated on education, certifications and so on dont appreciate being associated by title with some Lubetard drainplug stripper.
Great idea !
You can be a technician in many different fields. Oil change technician is not the same as ferrari technician for example. I am a race car fabricator and I know many many techs. I’ve never heard a tech take issue with someone at an oil change place being called a tech. I also don’t take issue with handrail fabricators being referred to as fabricators.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
hu·bris
/ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. excessive pride or self-confidence
  2. Hubris (/ˈhjuːbrɪs/, from ancient Greek ὕβρις) describes a personality quality of extreme or foolish pride or dangerous overconfidence, often in combination with (or synonymous with) arrogance.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
So did you keep the same dead squirrel or did you find a new one every time?
Not keeping.
The ‘surprise’ could be whatever sparked interest and available at the time.
One favourite was a baggie of dried leafy material or something to appear as dope stash.
That was extra amusing. If the guy were to steal it which they did several times, they were not going to take time to verify if its real or alert me about its discovery or condition of airfilter which they were requested to not inspect anyway.

Last edited:

leeleatherwood

Will agree that if you can do it yourself, it's the way to go. Find a good service manual, a few good youtube videos, and most tasks are easily completed at home with basic tools. Added bonus of a gained sense of satisfaction and an expanded skillset after completion.

With that being said, I recently got screwed by a local AAMCO. +1 to those who have noted to stay away from the national chains. My 01 Tacoma started making some unpleasant noises from the gear box. I don't have the time to learn how to rebuild an auto transmission, so I took it to a shop. Was quoted $2300 (reasonable price for an auto transmission rebuild), so I authorized them to pull the transmission ($890 deposit- first red flag).

Next day I get a call saying it's going to total $3700. I went into the shop and talked to the manager and owner- neither could provide a reason as to why my rebuild was going to cost $1400 more than quoted. Labor alone was $2100 - and this was their "standard # of hours for this tranny"- at this point it was clear to me that with labor and parts it was NEVER going to be close to their quote. They acted like it was no big deal for a job to cost 50% more than a quote. They started blabbering about the cost of business going up each year... sure... but did it go up 50% in 24 hours? I don't think so assholes.

Classic bait and switch. They already had $890 out of my pocket so I was stuck with them unless I wanted to walk away with $890 already lost and with no repair. Makes me sick to my stomach that I got caught up in that scam. After talking to some friends and family who live local, turns out this shop has a bad reputation... Still losing sleep over this one.
**** that, pay the deposit with credit card and dispute the charges, take the work somewhere else.