Proposed 1k fine for vehicles over 20 years old in Oregon

Happykamper

Explorer
No no no...:) you most certainly don't have to ship people in to keep Portland weird !!! Lol but Portland is not by nature violent ! I agree with the shipping in theory, most likely from Washington!

evilfij

Explorer
Anything that makes it more expensive to drive cars is an overall positive in my view. Less traffic, less wear on the roads, less new infrastructure needed, less pollution (if you care about that).

Whether you think it is a good idea, largely depends on what your view of taxation is. I love regressive taxes (like the proposed law discussed here) because they spread the cost out more equally instead of burdening wage earners most. PA now has the highest gas taxes in the country and I have noticed a decrease in traffic, but I have not seen the impact on tax revenue laid out anywhere yet.

MOguy

Explorer
Anything that makes it more expensive to drive cars is an overall positive in my view. Less traffic, less wear on the roads, less new infrastructure needed, less pollution (if you care about that).

Whether you think it is a good idea, largely depends on what your view of taxation is. I love regressive taxes (like the proposed law discussed here) because they spread the cost out more equally instead of burdening wage earners most. PA now has the highest gas taxes in the country and I have noticed a decrease in traffic, but I have not seen the impact on tax revenue laid out anywhere yet.

How does taxing 20 year old vehicles spread the cost more equally?

F350joe

It's to fund his legacy,Brown's bullet train to nowhere. Original estimate $33 billion. Present day estimate $100 billion and the state's infrastructure is in shambles.
Way to go California citizens who bought into this bond measure!

I don't mind paying a little more to breath clean air, I grew up in the smog alert era. I am also a lefty when it comes to the enviroment but that train must be dumbest thing this great state has ever come up with. That and growing almonds in the desert.

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
They were blocking intersection, pounding on cars etc. I just put in gear and drove slowly thru.
The folks blocking the street decided its better to move than be crushed like a bug.
Someone threw a bottle what broke upon the cab somewhere leaving no damage.
That day was genuinely scary.

:eek:

Silverado08

Observer
Isn't it also illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon? I don't see that catching on anywhere else anytime soon.
Fyi British Columbia Canada has the same laws,should you happen to visit,took me by surprise thats for sure..its probably because many people would gas up and run,,

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Fyi British Columbia Canada has the same laws,should you happen to visit,took me by surprise thats for sure..its probably because many people would gas up and run,,

All the pumps around here you have to pay first (or insert your card). I imagine that has cut down significantly on the pump'n'runs.

mikekey

Deplorable
New Jersey and Oregon don't trust people to not blow themselves up while pumping gas, and the states would rather leave the job to professionals.

Long ago, all gas stations were full-service. The first self-service station opened in California in 1947, and the idea caught on across the country. Only Oregon and New Jersey, decided to keep doing things the old way.

Let me tell you, it's the stupidest thing ever. We were down near Crater Lake, and the stations were overcrowded with not enough attendants to pump gas. I can't imagine it's cost effective either.

rruff

Explorer
New Jersey and Oregon don't trust people to not blow themselves up while pumping gas, and the states would rather leave the job to professionals.

When I lived in OR 20 years ago, the only reason I ever heard for "no self serve" was to provide low skill jobs. IMO a really stupid "solution" to a real problem.

dman93

Adventurer
It's all what you're used to. If you don't live in OR or NJ it does seem odd that you can't pump your own gas, but in many parts of Europe, though have to bag your own groceries ... and bring your own bags.

Technically in OR you can pump your own diesel. When I've done that, a lot of attendants (assuming they are awake) are mystified that I know how to do it myself. I explain to them I'm from WA and we also know how to tie our own shoes there. At places that insist or if they are actually responsive, I watch them like a hawk to make sure they put in diesel.

Bringing you own bags to grocery stores is getting more common place, many cities are now taxing the plastic bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior