Propane cooking stove

Umnak

Adventurer
+1 on the Baja Stove. Have used it for 7 years including a 3 year road trip. No problems. And if you need more than one burner you should stay home

MiamiC70

I’ve had good luck with my Camp Chef Everest.

BTW, ****** does a company the size of GSI need a Kickstarter campaign?

Superduty

Adventurer
+1 on the GasOne 15k BTU stove.

Editing this on 08/30/21 - the Gas One 15k is still a great stove, but the gas/propane hose it comes with is junk. The plastic regulator developed a pinhole leak. The hose is proprietary. I took it to my local hose supply and they crimped a new end on it, and I now use it with a real BBQ regulator and it works great with 1lb or large propane tanks. If you stick with Butane only then you don't have to worry about the hose.

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
+1 on the Baja Stove. Have used it for 7 years including a 3 year road trip. No problems. And if you need more than one burner you should stay home

I'm not a fancy cook in the woods at all but sometimes I'll make spaghetti or something with rice and it's nice to have that second burner.

Umnak

Adventurer
I'm not a fancy cook in the woods at all but sometimes I'll make spaghetti or something with rice and it's nice to have that second burner.
I am a fancy cook while camping. For pasta; boil water, pour over pasta in a bowl and let sit while you make the sauce. Add the pasta to the sauce and it will puff up nicely. One pot, one burner. If you use Ichiban Noodles instead of spaghetti, just add them to the sauce for the last few minutes. Rice is trickier, so substitute rice for cous cous, which has more protein and calories than sticky rice.

pith helmet

I am a fan of the one pot method when camping. I just got one of the GasOne dual-fuel 15k burners and one of the divided Korean non-stick grill pans to experiment with.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I guess I'm just one of those west coast liberal elites, but I do like a little steamed broccoli or green beans next to my ribeye.

Haha. I really enjoy cooking at home but for some reason I've just never been one to get fancy when I'm out camping. Coming full circle back to the original intent of this thread though - a lot of that is probably because my super cheap and old green coleman basically has no flame control between on full and off.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Coming full circle back to the original intent of this thread though - a lot of that is probably because my super cheap and old green coleman basically has no flame control between on full and off.
Yep. I switched away from Coleman after one too many plates of burned eggs. I do all the cooking both at home and at camp - luckily I enjoy it. Because of this, though, I want a certain base-level of performance out of my camp cooking setup. I use the butane/propane catering burners these days because they have the best flame control and the easiest setup/light process.

Obviously, this is tempered by the needs on the ground. On short trips, in North America, those stoves rock. If I were doing longer trips, especially in South America or Africa where propane availability isn't guaranteed, I'd switch back to my Coleman and bring along a flame tamer...

Umnak

Adventurer
I guess I'm just one of those west coast liberal elites, but I do like a little steamed broccoli or green beans next to my ribeye.
Please don't tell me you cook your steak on a skillet and not over a fire or charcoal.

Umnak

Adventurer
So what's wrong with a skillet and liberal amount of Kerri Gold?
Tradition! .... This from a couple of different sources "Traces of ash found in the Wonderwerk cave in South Africa suggest that hominins were controlling fire at least 1 million years ago, the time of our direct ancestor Homo erectus. Burnt bone fragments also found at this site suggest that Homo erectus was cooking meat."

WOODY2

Adventurer
Tradition! .... This from a couple of different sources "Traces of ash found in the Wonderwerk cave in South Africa suggest that hominins were controlling fire at least 1 million years ago, the time of our direct ancestor Homo erectus. Burnt bone fragments also found at this site suggest that Homo erectus was cooking meat."
They can just keep rubbing those 2 sticks together for all I care. Besides a Mammoth or what ever won't fit on my Gas One. Choice is priceless isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles