Project "Autonomous" F-350

rayra

Expedition Leader
True, but with the tilt things aren't as accessible / presented like some secret agent's arms locker.

b dkw1

Observer
I think tilting will cause clearance issues by the time you get it far enough open to be useful. Hinge ones side and it would not have to swing far to get the bike in.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
First thing is to get it mounted to the roof. I am going to a friend's shop next week so he can roll a tube to follow the curve on the leading edge of the deflector. That will be where I attach it to the roof of the truck. It would be easy to have that piece hinge forward; it will stick out from the front of the cab. I would like to have a sealed compartment up there too for food or clothing storage. Maybe with access from the cab, through the roof.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here, let me complicate things further - how about having the passenger end swing open like a door, hinged on the box side. Simple matter to form some flat strapping to fit at the seam, parallel straps, epoxy and glassed in, cutting the shell between them. Then there's no heavier framework, lifts actuators etc. Do a lightweight aluminum L-channel perimeter framing for mounting and rigidity. Then you've got easier side-access to the full space. Make it accessible from the bunk area too, sliding panel.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Simply awesome!!
Ward

Thanks, I'm reading your trip reports, awesome adventures. I love Art Deco, Modern, Prairie, Craftsman, architecture styles.

I went to LaFortune race cars today and had them roll a length of 1" .120 wall tubing to match the curvature of my roof deflector. The beginnings of the mounting system. I had never used a roller before. Simple but definitely some skill involved. Learning from the masters.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Heh. Same tastes in architecture too.

Tilt forward on a pivot tube, part of the bottom mounting frame, on pneumatic lifters. Bike on a sliding tray. But not that simple, has to be rigid enough for off-road travel.

bikedeployment_zpscakpnxt6.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4

Your drawing reminds me of this.

I saw this box truck and thought of your build. I know its not anywhere close to what your accomplishing, but with the v8, 5 speed and full float rear axle with traction-lok all you would need to do is throw a Ujoint/MG kit on it.
585c56ccedc155285261213a.jpg

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2009-Ford-E350--120553711

I love what your doing, definitely gonna be cool when it all comes together.

Driving down the road now, lots of these delivery trucks catch my eye. Good candidates are everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles