Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Hey Larry, why do you like manual trans in your trucks? Just curious.. You have so much knowledge on these things, so figured I'd pick your brain on your opinion on Manual vs Auto. You seem to lean towards Manual. Just wondering what your opinion/reasoning is for it. :D

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A manual is a simplistic approach. By design autos are more prone to failure simply do to complexity.

Still, I wont have another full-size with a handshaker ever again.

very nice build Larry. Looking good. :ylsmoke:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey Larry, why do you like manual trans in your trucks? Just curious.. You have so much knowledge on these things, so figured I'd pick your brain on your opinion on Manual vs Auto. You seem to lean towards Manual. Just wondering what your opinion/reasoning is for it. :D

Yeah, like IdaSHO said, manuals tend to be more simple, durable and reliable. Aside from that, manuals are my preference for off-roading as the driver has more control over what the vehicle is doing. :smiley_drive:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Yeah, like IdaSHO said, manuals tend to be more simple, durable and reliable. Aside from that, manuals are my preference for off-roading as the driver has more control over what the vehicle is doing. :smiley_drive:

Ah, okay. Good to know. I feel the same way about general driving (my daily driver is a 5 speed manual trans), and I love it.. I just wasnt sure if there was further reasoning or anything for 4 wheeling purpose. Good to know though. Thanks. :D

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
NV4500 5-speed is done!

Had the week off for the Christmas Holiday and got the NV4500 swaperoo done! A NV4500 is far from a sports car transmission but compared to the SM465 it certainly is! Plus OVERDRIVE is such a beautiful thing! It is amazing how just a transmission alone can change the personality of a vehicle.

The dirty end of the SM465/NP241 before teardown
8302714198_c3765f5ed6_c.jpg

At this point, I had some major work ahead of me to rework for floor for the new shifter location, which is 6” further back on the NV4500
8302744826_0a6b02821b_c.jpg

465 vs. NV4500 comparo. They are right on the money in length. The drive shafts were a direct fit as well as the trans cross member. I was even able to reuse the trans mount.
8302748112_8d119bcf1e_c.jpg

8302771254_c0f105059c_c.jpg

New Centerforce clutch installed
8302773654_d45b7f9032_c.jpg

AA Bell housing installed
8302780232_fcd9307727_c.jpg

Getting ready to go to town!
8305002617_c385bb3a16_c.jpg

Reused the original NP241 transfercase after Coloradobill took it apart too see how things looked in there.
8305005219_4d44305eb8_c.jpg

The really nice thing about a 241 tcase is even a little wirey guy and pick them up to stab by hand. Can’t say that for the 205 in the K10
8306134376_da87ffc15c_c.jpg

Then spent half day reworking the trans tunnel. Sorting through these details is where the big time gets burnt up.
8305086223_be98997139_c.jpg

Hacked up this trans tunnel to build the new one. Originally I had hoped to just swap on an automatic trans tunnel then cut in a new hole for the NV4500 shifter like I did on the K10. Ah, nope! The floor on ‘85ish and later trucks do not bolt off and they are shaped different than the old removeable tunnels too.
8312134797_37fe43bc9e_c.jpg

Almost final dealeo
8312138313_ca85748139_c.jpg

No NV4500 swap is complete until you dump in $72 worth of super juice
8320634600_e068dc4192_c.jpg

Before tear down. SM465 transmission
8301657255_6e2b494d05_c.jpg

After with the NV4500! :sombrero:
8319581087_f533c17a02_c.jpg

It took all day yesterday to install the ACC carpet. Damn Burbs have a 1000 holes to cut through the carpet and jute. What a pita! Replaced the carpet from barn doors to firewall. I bet I went through 20 razer blades trimming this dang carpet! That jute is dense!
8320637396_3b4dd04c6f_c.jpg

8319578439_aa9b44aea2_c.jpg

Same knob I used on the K10 a few years ago when it got a NV4500. For some reason, I knew it was a good idea to buy two knobs at that time!
5428463799_b4be5c6e62_z.jpg

I put about 30 miles on it tonight and have to run some errands in Canon City tomorrow so that should be a good shake down run for it. So far so good….no leaks, vibrations, rattles, etc.

Now, it just needs more power! Might have to get busy and do something about that :elkgrin:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Dang you weren't fooling around this week were you! Looks good. Maybe I need to swipe it while you are out of town for the snow run next week!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Dang you weren't fooling around this week were you! Looks good. Maybe I need to swipe it while you are out of town for the snow run next week!

Yeah, it doesn’t look like it but I busted a hump from Sunday the 23rd through this afternoon but I did. The trans tunnel and carpet install ate a lot of time.

We’ll do another snow trip later….like after we actually get some snow! Maybe, Bill and I will get that True trac moved from the old K10 axle to the Burb by then.

See you in minyana. I’ll swing by the dealership tomorrow. Got to show Harlan how is trans rebuild turned out.

hoodshy

That's just too slick. Great job. I wonder if drive shafts etc. would also be reusable if I put an NV4500 in place of the TH400 in my 88' burb? A manual 5 speed would be a great way to get overdrive. Of course there would be the extra work of getting the clutch pedal and linkage in.

Michael

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That's just too slick. Great job. I wonder if drive shafts etc. would also be reusable if I put an NV4500 in place of the TH400 in my 88' burb? A manual 5 speed would be a great way to get overdrive. Of course there would be the extra work of getting the clutch pedal and linkage in.

Michael

Thanks!

Well, if it is any consolation, I know another guy from another forum that went from a TH400/32 spline 205 in a ’88 crew cab 4x4 to a NV4500/205 (reused his OEM tcase) and he did NOT have to rework the driveshafts at all. With yours already having a TH400 means the tcase behind your TH400 would already be the right 32 spline to mate to a NV4500. Aside from the trans tunnel work all you would need to do is install the pedals, clutch master and slave, which are not difficult. Half the battle is finding a ’85-’91 square body style hydraulic “pedal box” as they call it where you get the clutch pedal and brake pedal in one assembly. Luckily, my burb already had the hydro clutch pedals as OEM equipment. This assembly also has the rods for the hydraulic master cylinder mount. I went through that swapperoo on my ’78 K10.

Go for it! Life is too short to live with a gas hog automatic trans, and one without overdrive no less.

If you are seriously considering this I know a local salvage yard with at least 4 more ’85-’91 trucks with hydro pedals in them. Lemme know and I can PM you their phone number.

hoodshy

Thanks!

Well, if it is any consolation, I know another guy from another forum that went from a TH400/32 spline 205 in a ’88 crew cab 4x4 to a NV4500/205 (reused his OEM tcase) and he did NOT have to rework the driveshafts at all. With yours already having a TH400 means the tcase behind your TH400 would already be the right 32 spline to mate to a NV4500. Aside from the trans tunnel work all you would need to do is install the pedals, clutch master and slave, which are not difficult. Half the battle is finding a ’85-’91 square body style hydraulic “pedal box” as they call it where you get the clutch pedal and brake pedal in one assembly. Luckily, my burb already had the hydro clutch pedals as OEM equipment. This assembly also has the rods for the hydraulic master cylinder mount. I went through that swapperoo on my ’78 K10.

Go for it! Life is too short to live with a gas hog automatic trans, and one without overdrive no less.

If you are seriously considering this I know a local salvage yard with at least 4 more ’85-’91 trucks with hydro pedals in them. Lemme know and I can PM you their phone number.

Thanks Larry. Sent a PM. Yes, I am serious about sometime doing this auto to manual swap. But, heads up, my automotive experience is not as extensive as say yours. Never rebuilt an engine or dropped a tranny, but I believe it's about time to gain some of that experience and is one reason I bought the 88' burb. My experience at most has been replacing alternators, tune ups, pack wheel bearings, etc.

Like many I'd love to eventually put a cummins in, but that is probably too much effort and money at this point. Plenty of other things to do before I get to that. I'd like to put a nv4500 behind the cummins any way so doing the th400 to nv4500 swap first and getting some more miles out of the small block wouldn't be a waste of effort or parts I believe.

I don't have an nv4500 yet either and they are getting harder to find? Any particular one I am looking for? What years of make/model donor vehicles in a salvage yard am I looking for? I need to drop the transfer case some time anyway. It's got an oil leak.

The 88' burb I got a couple of weeks ago is in okay shape. I posted a couple of picks in another intro thread. It also needs some replacement rear leaf springs. Has about a 1 inch sag on the direvers rear side.

Well, I should hold off on sharing more about my burb, this is your thread :)

If you have any particular links to forum posts that would help me with the th400 to nv4500 swap feel free to send them. I have done some searches recently but don't recall if I saved anything that I found.

Michael

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice job; you do like your mannys. I hope you have a heated garage otherwise this project is aptly named. :sombrero:

Oh, yeah...me love manuals! The shop is well heated and well stocked with warm beverages. Well, beverages that make you feel warm anyway ..and sometimes silly. :elkgrin:

Not sure if the work space where magic happens is a heated garage, shop, or neighborhood bar. Pretty much all of the above :coffee:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Oh, yeah...me love manuals! The shop is well heated and well stocked with warm beverages. Well, beverages that make you feel warm anyway ..and sometimes silly. :elkgrin:

Not sure if the work space where magic happens is a heated garage, shop, or neighborhood bar. Pretty much all of the above :coffee:

Excellent words of wisdom said here....and really nice job on the swap Larry! Makes me wanna do somn to mine this weekend, but just not sure what yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles