Pressurized Running Rinse Water System - JKU

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Totally agree. Even for those without the subwoofer panel, there's a lot of less-than-ideal usable space for 'everyday' items around the tire wells where a pump could be mounted. I still may relocate mine to that area in the spirit of opening up more space in the main rear cargo area (and swapping out the subwoofer panel for the delete panel).
I've got ammo can trays on each inner fenders, one carries the battery for my fridge and I've mounted the sink pump behind the Molle panel supporting the tray. The aluminum plate in the photo below is where the pump is mounted. The ammo can tray makes the awkward space over the inner fenders usable, and the pump easily fits in the space behind the panel.

PumpMounted1_zpsspufc4jj.jpg

very nice install!

there are a bunch of random places with empty space in the JK/JKU, i found a spot under the front cowl for my pump and thermostatic mixing valve, which worked out well since i put the heat exchanger just below there in the engine bay:

full write-up on that install here...

Very nice execution on your project! I had no idea there was that kind of space under cowl. I really like how you did the custom work for the reservoir underneath the body. Really great attention to detail.

I've got ammo can trays on each inner fenders, one carries the battery for my fridge and I've mounted the sink pump behind the Molle panel supporting the tray. The aluminum plate in the photo below is where the pump is mounted. The ammo can tray makes the awkward space over the inner fenders usable, and the pump easily fits in the space behind the panel.

Yeah I really like that use for this space. If ever just bite the bullet and get the sub woofer delete panel to open up more of the cargo space I will likely relocate my pump to this location. I use a Tuffy security enclosure, so I'd likely fab something up to cleanly use this space since it would site adjacent to the enclosure walls.

MattJ

Adventurer
Love this thread! Reminds me of the several weeks I spent obsessed with building a pressurized water solution a couple summers back. One question that just came to me after reading this: would it be possible to use one of those small compressed air tanks that refill paintball guns and air rifles to pressurize a bumper tank on demand? I would think you could simply install a schrader valve input on the bumper tank, and then figure out how to use an adjustable valve to keep the pressure around 15psi as the water is sprayed out. When you're done, simply disconnect the small air tank and toss it back in the Jeep. I ended up building a similar solution by using my CO2 tank and a portable shower unit that is designed to hold pressure. But it's certainly not the type of compact system you'd want to pack for extended treks when weight and space matter.

Those air rifle tanks are very small and lightweight (carbon fiber).

Love this thread! Reminds me of the several weeks I spent obsessed with building a pressurized water solution a couple summers back. One question that just came to me after reading this: would it be possible to use one of those small compressed air tanks that refill paintball guns and air rifles to pressurize a bumper tank on demand? I would think you could simply install a schrader valve input on the bumper tank, and then figure out how to use an adjustable valve to keep the pressure around 15psi as the water is sprayed out. When you're done, simply disconnect the small air tank and toss it back in the Jeep. I ended up building a similar solution by using my CO2 tank and a portable shower unit that is designed to hold pressure. But it's certainly not the type of compact system you'd want to pack for extended treks when weight and space matter.

Those air rifle tanks are very small and lightweight (carbon fiber).

In my research prior to building my version I did come across a few threads where users went pump-less and used a schrader valve and bike pump. The problem with that, of course, is having to re-pressurize during/after use. An air tank with some sort of regulator valve would probably work, but I wonder how big of a tank you need to work through the volume of the bumper.

MattJ

Adventurer
Yeah - bike pump wouldn't be fun. You'd work up a sweat while trying to take a shower and clean up! I know there are 90-cubic inch carbon fiber air tanks that can take up to 5,000psi. Someone better at math than me could figure out how many fills you'd get in a bumper tank at 15psi. I would think a lot.

I set my CO2 tank to very low pressure, then use a velcro strip to free flow the valve into my portable shower kit. That kit uses a cigarette-socket heating rod and has a safety release valve at 20psi.

Would be really cool if someone could figure out a bumper-tank system with a heating rod and a small air tank that is good for many, many bumper refills.

Didn't intend to hijack this thread - your system is a huge step forward from mine, and its always fascinating for me to see the different solutions that talented people build for pressurized water!

y4mEllZb4g7ozmhmqS-L-EWree5XB7sTZpEEYAkYpvDxmuyzmwWPKWVufr3FPODp00AnR8Vmy-F8Ke2dQr4d7nVcEANgf4rTEhYB3IXbrPIObOKsx25umpFKVDywUiY7HYEUgB5G3pLvo8SlQ6IXvkrNCurhQq_laKpjbmgirjNUYUstGoFMW45ScP3If2bfZiGuBrzlX5u6UiORq_-LFwvyA

y4mrl9Zjl7bFD2lu1gfwc3jZLTgezqL0BMj574RXaeDBwdcwgeHmAcR4JALtASMrmGgFJwaUzPqvTk7q7JuoiPWaRCOYKmWzPanob_emKX9wxFMEIOrKG54y2fTZ5SYx4GUPtE97gFmm1804GdRpurAW2d8IJ_ZhsfA_X_R-It6JzvuArdUpbujxgqsFziN19lDTfasHu6G_Gzoe3kJaxPYWg

y4mWbiQYQgxzkgCMLKIZL4rC1yfw9t7GyhQz6RmyDRXxPVmYu-LzugY0T9KutGkMubCYdoOKu_jb7WdwTWra3wBINzEhKMoQg_P32uxoR0ewufDhELAfpQCUdUJu4dfPUhpKzs9KdBvgpbIQZ8mPpQiqXV04ZIz97DAxAyfPg0jACyrZrIJ5QUjUWT26Fb1lO7puDlIJ-OdDaKmuAYEi9ebWw

Yeah - bike pump wouldn't be fun. You'd work up a sweat while trying to take a shower and clean up! I know there are 90-cubic inch carbon fiber air tanks that can take up to 5,000psi. Someone better at math than me could figure out how many fills you'd get in a bumper tank at 15psi. I would think a lot.

I set my CO2 tank to very low pressure, then use a velcro strip to free flow the valve into my portable shower kit. That kit uses a cigarette-socket heating rod and has a safety release valve at 20psi.

Would be really cool if someone could figure out a bumper-tank system with a heating rod and a small air tank that is good for many, many bumper refills.

Didn't intend to hijack this thread - your system is a huge step forward from mine, and its always fascinating for me to see the different solutions that talented people build for pressurized water!

No problem at all! The purpose of any forum is to share ideas and create dialogue - all good to do so here.

What I like about the air tank approach is it's easily removed when not needed. Not that a pump takes up much space, but still, it'd be nice to rid the Jeep of the system when not needed. As for how to design the system so it keeps a constant pressure as the volume changes during use - that's above my head, but I am sure there is a product out there that regulates the air source for this scenario. I would also think a heating rod would be pretty easy to incorporate. Being in Florida, I would actually prefer some sort of cooling mechanism, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online