Post your sleeping set ups!

gnarlycharlie

Sleeping platform

I used 2 sheets of 3/4" ply that has been cut at 60/40. Some Schedule 80 threaded pipe and flanges and 1/4" angle Iron. Incredibly easy to remove and install.

Attachments

• 178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 32

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
Vgreen, how much weight have you put on the platform? I've had 2 adults sleeping on it totalling probably 350lbs or so. On trail I have my ARB 50qt fridge on it. It's survived rugged rock crawling trails and higher speed overlanding jumps. If the thicker ply supports that it may definitely be a decent alternative to the 1/2" ply.

Off-roader,

Last weekend I loaded up the back of the montero with large river rocks we are using to pave a patio. I had them stacked the full length and width of the platform about 1.5ft high, with a few more underneath. I'm unsure of the exact weight, but it was enough weight to sag the rear end a bit, and the weight was very noticeable while driving. That was the first time I have ever had enough weight to make the rear suspension sag at all.

The platform, on the other hand, didn't bow as far as I could tell. It appears to be very strong. Remember, I didn't add any reinforcements to the plywood, it's just straight 3/4in stuff. I would say my weak point is actually the lightweight pvc I bought. I'm very happy I decided to go with 3/4in.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off-roader,

Last weekend I loaded up the back of the montero with large river rocks we are using to pave a patio. I had them stacked the full length and width of the platform about 1.5ft high, with a few more underneath. I'm unsure of the exact weight, but it was enough weight to sag the rear end a bit, and the weight was very noticeable while driving. That was the first time I have ever had enough weight to make the rear suspension sag at all.

The platform, on the other hand, didn't bow as far as I could tell. It appears to be very strong. Remember, I didn't add any reinforcements to the plywood, it's just straight 3/4in stuff. I would say my weak point is actually the lightweight pvc I bought. I'm very happy I decided to go with 3/4in.
That's awesome. As for the PVC, HD sells short sections (2'?) of black PVC pipe. Looks like .220 or .250 wall at a glance although I never measured it. Has been more than strong enough.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm considering this exact setup and would just use schedule 80 abs. But we're talking about columnar strength, not bending strength. Realistically, sch 40 should be plenty strong.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think the key is to go with a large diameter tube. At least 2" diameter if not 3". Mine's at the minimum and it is holding up.

Alright, finally started to build a cargo/sleeping platform on my 2nd Gen. Thanks to the brilliant base design of off-roader/grasscat!

3/4" Ply
2" PVC
3/8" turnbuckles with carriage bolts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744013.514293.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744032.718224.jpg
Dog and kid like it so far.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744070.816462.jpg
The parts store had a really light tan that didn't match well, so I went with mossy oak. Lol.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744128.461457.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398744149.583791.jpg

I am satisfied with the outcome. I plan to modify it to make it a sleep platform, but I am still thinking of how I want it.

Kevin

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
OME Suspension Lift, 31X10.5

jlocster

Explorer
Thanks to the brilliant base design of off-roader/grasscat!

Yes, it's an ingenious design...
IMG_20130402_171956.jpg

IMG_20130402_171733.jpg

IMG_20130402_170648.jpg

IMG_20130402_170856.jpg

IMG_20130402_171627.jpg

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice! Like the mossy oak camo. One thing I'd caution & suggest is you consider making your platform a little higher then put a cover over the CD changer... if it's possible. Just a simple piece of wood and a hinge would work & that way it won't 'accidentally' get damaged by stuff you put on top.

Nice! Like the mossy oak camo. One thing I'd caution & suggest is you consider making your platform a little higher then put a cover over the CD changer... if it's possible. Just a simple piece of wood and a hinge would work & that way it won't 'accidentally' get damaged by stuff you put on top.

Good idea! I could do that simple enough. I noticed I'll have to bring it up a little to add the sleeping folding part. No worries. I have plenty of PVC left.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I removed the stock CD changer, wasn't working anyway and I replaced the tape deck with an in-dash CD player from a newer Sport.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah. Mine works great, so I'll just use it until it takes a dump.

Kevin

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
OME Suspension Lift, 31X10.5
once it takes a dump, consider upgrading to one which reads usb thumb drives. My 8gb drive holds way more music hundreds of songs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz