Post Pics of Your Hard Side Camper!

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I love these trucks - but I think i wished people made tactical-colored campers; Maybe its from the same place in my mind that keeps me from sitting at a restaurant with my back to the doors - but when I want to camp I prefer not standing-out like that. In fact....sheepishly....I tend to bring a camo net to cover the truck. Four poles, four spreaders and a hex - I haven't used the diamond yet.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love these trucks - but I think i wished people made tactical-colored campers. In fact....sheepishly....I tend to bring a camo net to cover the truck.

There is a large part of me that wants to say “paranoid much???”, but then I see you are from Detroit!

Kidding aside, “tactical colors” are a VERY bad idea outside the US or Canada. They will make you stand out for all the wrong reasons in most other countries. If there is any sort of unrest, looking like a military or police vehicle is a great way to paint a giant target on your back.

DetroitDarin

There is a large part of me that wants to say “paranoid much???”, but then I see you are from Detroit!

Kidding aside, “tactical colors” are a VERY bad idea outside the US or Canada. They will make you stand out for all the wrong reasons in most other countries. If there is any sort of unrest, looking like a military or police vehicle is a great way to paint a giant target on your back.

:D I actually live in germany now. But I don't really mean 'military-looking' - I think the brash whites/tans/silvers, etc sorta stick out in the environment. When I go out into the woods I want to blend with my surroundings as much as possible.

I love these trucks - but I think i wished people made tactical-colored campers; Maybe its from the same place in my mind that keeps me from sitting at a restaurant with my back to the doors - but when I want to camp I prefer not standing-out like that. In fact....sheepishly....I tend to bring a camo net to cover the truck. Four poles, four spreaders and a hex - I haven't used the diamond yet.

check out Raptor Liner. It's a spray on like Rhino liner that you can order off amazon or wherever. They sell a clear so it's tintable. they can do it at any auto paint place or you can order them online. It doesn't weigh that much (only a few pounds/bottle) and when I did my FJ it was maybe 25 pounds total added weight. But the noise reduction and insulation, along with being resistant to brush and stuff was really worth it.

I think it would be sweet to do a camper in FDE, green, or some good old combination of old school camo colors.

DetroitDarin

Thanks Stevie - I don't really need to be tactical - but I also don't want to spoil the views. It's kind of like not dressing TOO american while overseas; not because I'm necessarily afraid of anything, but I feel more comfort blending in. So i shop at german clothes stores. Maybe some of this is the AT/FP stuff from work; but I'm also a photographer and I like my landscapes to be landscapey - not chock-full of non-natural stuff.

rossco23

01 dodge 2500 w/ a six pac 7.5 mini. this was my permanent home for the last year and it went across the country. this is a 5.9 magnum v8 gas motor and it handled this camper just great as it was about 1100 lbs with gear.
just sold the camper to a guy taking it to baja on his tacoma. god speed! i already miss it so much, doubt i'll come by another one

the truck is for sale if anyone is interested.
22528274_10212387924466464_778734511791959178_n.jpg
24796529_10212754705875770_3246101675943380054_n.jpg

this is my "replacement". 01 f250 powerstroke diesel with only 130,000 miles on it. crew cab long bed. i love everything about it other than it having the turning radius of the titanic. 4 doors is kind of overkill for me and a dog too. the camper is a 89 lance squire 9.4. super nice, but again getting used to living in this thing with all the extra space is weird compared to old my six pac and short bed dodge.

i will be flatbedding the truck this summer and am on the hunt for a smaller bigfoot/northern lite camper.

30727895_10213841626688111_2273054148270004114_n.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
2000 Lance 835 on my 2006 2500 CTD. The pics were taken a couple of weeks ago up on the Alcan in Northern BC/Yukon. -33f was the coldest night we had in the camper.
5551640981_c28778f110_b.jpg
5551640975_7f2ff97722_b.jpg
That's a good setup. I've got the same truck but wished I can find a east-west sleeping arrangement to cut down on the overhang.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Back to the 'tactical' look. One overriding reason truck campers and campers of all stripes are white or off white is the reflective quality of the paint color. They've done tests and it makes a big difference in reflecting the sun. Just a little darker color makes for a lot more heat retention. The only time I need the 'tactical look' is in the city, where every delivery van and RV is essentially white, so I blend right in. I thought about rolling on a sand based coating in a desert storm sand color on the entire rig, and asked the mfgr. how much the product weighed and what was the reflective quality. No response, so I ash caned that idea. You can tell the relative cost of any RV by the darker more brooding colors indicating a high bucks rig where you have the wherewithal to pay for running the AC day and night . Of course, it's easy to blend in during this season: That's me up on a ladder with my snow rake taking a ton or two of Sierra Cement off the roof. I wonder what the snow load is on my old Lance Camper? The front suspension was down to the snubbers.

Umnak

Adventurer
Cabin on the Road redux see https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2-3-years-around-north-america.150556/#post-1959205

Our Capri Retreat is on its way to Montana for pick-up. It weighs around 1200lbs. Will drop it on our new-to-us GMC Sierra. With Pastime going out of business and Liven' lite stopping production of their sorta-light campers, Capri is one of the few left standing. They were very easy to work with, including letting me buy an ARB Fridge for the camper. And they are now thinking about offering these as part of their options.
We learned a lot from our 3-year road trip, especially that we don't need a lot of "stuff". Our Snow Peak Baja stove will be used in the camper as it was in the van. Looking forward to new -- shorter - adventures.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1040.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles