Possible Sequoia in my future

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I am presently driving a 2011 built up 4Runner and really like it a lot. I would like a few more horsepower to pull my 3,000 Mission Overland trailer though. I looked at a used LC200 but the price was still a bit out of my range. So I have started eyeballing Sequoias. I am zeroing in on 2006-08 models.

Can all of you experts give me some insight into the best year to look at, what specifically to look at on these vehicles to keep from ending up with a lemon, etc.? I really don't want to go with any wheel size larger than 17". Which model gives me enough HP without all the glitz?

etownnc

2005-2007 are the "best" years of the First Gen Sequioas..you get the updated transmission and VVTI. 2008 is the beginning of the new body style. Frame Rust is by far he biggest issue on them followed by lower ball-joint failures. Water-pump and timing belt should be done around 100k.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I targeted 06-07 first yrs to have full curtain air bags and the 5spd is a must.

The 06 4.7 was tuned up more HP but due to that it needs premium fuel for the road trips and heavier hauling. Around town low powerstuff the cheap gas is fine. I went 4runner to LC then Sequoia. I liked the Sequoia the most. Hated the 4runner and found the LC too cramped, too thirsty and expensive to maintain but it was cool.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Thanks so much for the input. Are/were Sequoias participants in the Toyota frame recall program? Looking around here, I'm discovering that people don't like giving their Sequoias up until the mileage is closing in on 200 K. aren't there anymore little old ladies who drove them only to church on Sunday types areound anymore? :p I will keep looking!

chunko

Observer
Thanks so much for the input. Are/were Sequoias participants in the Toyota frame recall program? Looking around here, I'm discovering that people don't like giving their Sequoias up until the mileage is closing in on 200 K. aren't there anymore little old ladies who drove them only to church on Sunday types areound anymore? I will keep looking!
Not sure about sequoias, but I bought my 09 GX470 a couple years ago with 60k miles. Always Lexus serviced and probably only driven to the country club based on all the tees I found between and below the seats.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks so much for the input. Are/were Sequoias participants in the Toyota frame recall program? Looking around here, I'm discovering that people don't like giving their Sequoias up until the mileage is closing in on 200 K. aren't there anymore little old ladies who drove them only to church on Sunday types areound anymore? :p I will keep looking!
Yes they were some might have new frames or sub frames

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The current sequoia err 08 and newer is fine too. No timing belt service
No need for premium fuel

Not as popular due to the balloon animal body.
Similar mileage. Better tow rig.

The 4.7 is nice but its not great at heavy tow use. 4 runner is lousy for anything over 2500lbs. LOL

bkg

Explorer
I targeted 06-07 first yrs to have full curtain air bags and the 5spd is a must.

The 06 4.7 was tuned up more HP but due to that it needs premium fuel for the road trips and heavier hauling.

Have owned an 07 and two 06 Tundra's... i've towed 6500# w/o ever using premium. Just curious what's driving the idea.

F350joe

I am considering the Sequoia as well but will most likely go for a GX. I need to sell my truck first but here are two in San Diego that look like good buys. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2006-toyota-sequoia-limited/6998308424.html

Both have been on the market for a few weeks at the same price.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Have owned an 07 and two 06 Tundra's... i've towed 6500# w/o ever using premium. Just curious what's driving the idea.
Yeah your Tundra and the GX didn’t need to compete with the Suburban so Toyota didn’t pump up the HP. The 06 -07 Sequoia got a power bump. Trust me all the 06-07’s rattle on regular under load. They are fine around town but start doing loaded highway stuff and they need premium and run quiet. Owners manual covers it also.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am considering the Sequoia as well but will most likely go for a GX. I need to sell my truck first but here are two in San Diego that look like good buys. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2006-toyota-sequoia-limited/6998308424.html

Both have been on the market for a few weeks at the same price.
Thats a really nice one all original stuff stock radio no stupid kid wiring mess. No paint fade etc!!

bkg

Explorer
Yeah your Tundra and the GX didn’t need to compete with the Suburban so Toyota didn’t pump up the HP. The 06 -07 Sequoia got a power bump. Trust me all the 06-07’s rattle on regular under load. They are fine around town but start doing loaded highway stuff and they need premium and run quiet. Owners manual covers it also.

Had no idea. My 07 Sequoia was great the one time I towed with it. Sold it only because I needed a truck. Really liked the auto-leveling suspension

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
That private seller 2006 is hugely tempting. I've been looking at all the regional locations and the price/mileage figure on that one is incredible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior