Pop-ups with inside showers?

danjr

Bundutec here with both an inside and outside shower. We prefer the inside shower and use it. It's our fourth cab-over camper and three have had indoor showers and we use them.

Jack

Happy to hear some others have similar uses! Were you able to have some custom things done on your bundutec (assuming you purchased new)?

danjr

If you want to use your camper in winter you should look at the insulation and the condensation issues especially if you plan on washing and having a shower indoors. Very few pop up campers have any reasonable insulation. Hallmark and Overlandex CampX and maybe Northstar have insulated softwalls and hardwalls with few thermal bridges where condensation develops.

Great comments. Yes, definitely looking at some of the more winter capable pop ups out there. Those you mentioned are already on the list. I'm not sure about the Northstar's insulation but will ask a dealer tomorrow when taking a look at them. Also would really like to go with a propex/espar/webasto style heater which I've heard makes a major difference as far as condensation build up.

danjr

Fullsize truck? 250+?
Definitely full sized. Waiting to size the truck depending upon which camper is identified and purchased. I'd like to do a flatbed or something eventually with outside storage so will likely be in at least a 250+.

sg1

Adventurer
A Propex or Truma propane heater vents its exhaust to the outside. They will not contribute to condensation. Only cathalytic heaters like Wave or Buddy cause condensation.

1000arms

I'll check them out-thanks. Yes, weather can be a concern as far as drying soft walls out or packing up.
Great comments. Yes, definitely looking at some of the more winter capable pop ups out there. ... Also would really like to go with a propex/espar/webasto style heater which I've heard makes a major difference as far as condensation build up.
Definitely full sized. ... I'd like to do a flatbed or something eventually with outside storage so will likely be in at least a 250+.
You are welcome.

Have you considered Alaskan Camper? Pop-up hard-sided in cabover and non-cabover. They make flatbed campers too.

See: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/first-alaskan-flat-bed-side-door-entry-a-dream.188289/
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/alaskan-8-5-flatbed-cabover/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/2018-alaskan-flatbed-side-entry-camper/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/alaskan-campers-debuts-modular-flatbed-solution/

Have you considered a Ford F350 "Tremor"? https://expeditionportal.com/is-the-ford-tremor-the-new-full-size-overland-benchmark/
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...eries-super-duty-tremor-off-road-package.html

From the first Ford Tremor link: "For capability, the list is impressive, including class-leading 35-inch Duratrac tires, a 31.6 degree approach angle, 10.8-inches of ground clearance, a 33-inch fording depth (best in class), and a 53:1 crawl ratio (gas engine). For the differentials, there is a locking rear and a Dana limited-slip front. The front LSD will work excellent when combined with traction control, and work as well as a full locker in nearly all scenarios."

7.3L gas engine or diesel engine, but the Tremor package is limited to a crew-cab shortbed truck.

Look at the Truma heaters too (suggested by @sg1 ).

Mtn Mike

Observer
Having the option of an inside shower is a priority for us too. Our travels take us to both into the city and to the middle of nowhere. That said I'm about to buy a used Northstar TC800 (pop-up) without a shower. I've looked at the inside shower options from various pop-up companies, including FWC, ATC, and Northstar. As people have commented above, the showers that come in a lot of truck campers look like an afterthought. I'm fairly confident I can rig up a curtain, shower pan and drain inside my TC800 that's just as or more functional than the factory options. My point is that with a little ingenuity you may be able to figure something out for an inside shower. There are several models that come with various water systems, if not inside showers.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you going fullsize, definitely check out the Bundutecs. The short bed camper have the overhang rear, but it's pretty high up. You ain't going to drag it. The long bed versions sit completely inside the bed. And the tray models are built however you want.

I'm not sure what the Tremor specs are, but I doubt that you'll want those softer springs with a camper. I'd add a front locker to a standard F350. Then Bds 4" and 37's instead.

1000arms

If you going fullsize, definitely check out the Bundutecs. The short bed camper have the overhang rear, but it's pretty high up. You ain't going to drag it. The long bed versions sit completely inside the bed. And the tray models are built however you want.

I'm not sure what the Tremor specs are, but I doubt that you'll want those softer springs with a camper. I'd add a front locker to a standard F350. Then Bds 4" and 37's instead.
The maximum payload for the Ford F350 Tremor package is 4,210 pounds with the 7.3-liter gas engine. The Tremor package is only available in a crew-cab shortbed.

See https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/09/26/2020-ford-super-duty-pickup.html

From the link "The 2020 Super Duty with Tremor Off-Road Package is the most capable off-road Super Duty ever. It will have maximum towing of up to 15,000 pounds for conventional trailers and 21,900 pounds for gooseneck trailers with the available diesel, in addition to 4,210 pounds maximum payload capacity with the all-new 7.3-liter gas engine that is available "

That will likely be sufficient for many campers, and, especially, most pop-up campers. :cool:

LosAngeles

Hallmark will do flatbeds now, and also custom floor plans for minimal upcharge.

I did a ton of research, and all roads led to Hallmark.

We opted for the "mini" shower stall, but when you put the 365 PortaPotty in it, the 365 fits perfectly, and so the mini shower does double duty as toilet / mini shower (you just lift the 365 out, most likely carry it outside, and use the shower.)

We also got the AluCab Shower Cube, (outside) and Matt (hallmark) moved the outside shower to right by the Shower Cube, so that works beautifully!

I easily rigged up a privacy curtain, just forward of the mini shower... and there is a MaxxFan right above the minishower stall... so if there is another person in the Hallmark, and one person has some "serious business" to do in the PortAPotty.... then draw the curtain, turn the MaxxFan on HIGH, pulling air OUT of the Hallmark, and then no "emotional drama" to the adjacent person, sonically or smell wise. :)

and.... we have a 8' bed F350 gasser - with the tried and true 6.2 Gasser and the 2020 comes with the new 10 speed transmission... and we get about 12 mpg, at 70-75 MPH on the highway.... fully loaded. Very happy.

The F350 + Hallmark is just less than 9' high (even with the AC unit on the roof) and it is amazing in 25 MPH gusty crosswinds. Amazing.

Hope this helps.

billiebob

We're planning a 6ish month road trip around the US and Canada. Seems like an interior shower will likely be a must for us considering we could be in the middle of nowhere one day and in a major city the next. Would like to go pop-up for ability to get into some rugged areas.

What pop-up campers do you know of with inside showers?

So I'd say none. I cannot imagine a shower in a popup. space etc aside, the humidity would be a killer. In Canada, USA pay showers in campgrounds or truck stops are a dime a dozen..... or maybe a toonie a shower. i've done this for years, I have zero need for an on board shower or (Edited - Language = we are a family friendly site and you agreed to those terms when you registered) .

This works for me....
DSCN1333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Happy to hear some others have similar uses! Were you able to have some custom things done on your bundutec (assuming you purchased new)?

Absolutely on the custom things. We took the basic configuration and tweaked it to our needs/wants. Bundutec was very accommodating and yes, we bought new.

Jack

kodiak-black

Observer
I've owned an Outfitter that did not have a shower. I would not own another pop-up without an interior shower. My wife greatly values this convenience and consequently so do I. I get it, she wants to be clean. And I want a pop-up to get off the beaten path. I have a RAM 3500 now-a-days. She can handle it without complaint. I'm considering the Northstar 650 SC.

Ninelitetrip

I've owned an Outfitter that did not have a shower. I would not own another pop-up without an interior shower. My wife greatly values this convenience and consequently so do I. I get it, she wants to be clean. And I want a pop-up to get off the beaten path. I have a RAM 3500 now-a-days. She can handle it without complaint. I'm considering the Northstar 650 SC.

I saw that Northstar made a few tweaks for 2021 which are in production. I want to take a look at an 850 SC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles