Pop-Up Camper - Custom Build (scratch built) Oasis-Si

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Incredible build and sorry for asking if you've already posted an answer, but what size pneumatic struts and weight? Also how are they working out? I need a bit of advice on my build. I need to decide whether to clam shell hinge (easier) or full push up like yours (more room). Any chance you could post a video of it opening? Thanks!
Hello Mules, thanks for the post reply. No worries on the strut specs... they are indeed buried in this thread somewhere...heh, even I cant recall where?

I ordered them custom from a shop here in Canada, but I am sure these will be available just about anywhere these are sold for commercial use. The company I used is called LS Technologies (LSTECHNOLOGIES.CA) and they were awesome to deal with. Their part numbers and sizes are noted below. For my setup I have a 21" tent wall (from top tub to underside of ceiling) so I needed 21+ of lift. The engineering part of this was a bunch (lots) of measuring and re-measuring, and it works amazingly well!

4 x B10-475-1030-225N ( 40.5 " C to C / 50 lb force ) $63.13 CAD each
4 x BKT-04B-BLACK $4.83 each
4 x BKT-12A BLACK $4.25 each

Check out their site and you can probably cross reference their sizes and specs and order something closer to you. I was unable to find anything suitable on EvilBay or Amazon.

As to your second point, I could post a video of it opening, and will if it ever stops raining and I can get it out of the shed. lol I guess I could try one in the shed, but it is pretty close in there. If I were to do this again (and I never ever ever will) I would do a clamshell and leverage hinges similar to the wedge style James Baroud RTT's or the Mission Overland trailers. Heck, I would probably straight up steal the Mission Overland design... Mark over there makes an AMAZING product.

Video here shows the roof lift system () @ 58 seconds.

Reason for clamshell over full lift = Simpler for pretty much everything, sheds rain and snow better, easier to engineer the lift and likely a lot more stable when up. Having said that my lift system is SUPER stable and I can rock the whole truck by pushing on the roof edge, so it worked out well.

Now, if I can just get the fabric installed I can go camping. heh

VanIsle_Greg

Lifty lifty alert for the camper hauler. Yeah, I am still around, yeah I am still planning on finishing this thing one day. heh

Added a Bilstein 6112 3" front and rear lift setup including Tuff Truck HDX rear coils (with a Ready Lift 1.5" spacer) and reinstalled the AirLift air bags. Add to that some lift corrected Rough Country forged aluminum UCA's and she is sitting pretty. All that so I could fit on a new set of 35" Toyo AT III H Rated tires. This rides so amazing, and handles great. I love the ride height too, and can't wait to load up the camper for a test. Was ok with the previous OEM suspension and Timbren bump stops, but the shocks were showing their age and my tires were too... so why replace when you can upgrade!

20220205_164805.jpg

20220205_164826.jpg

Washed it for the first time since October ish too. heh Sooooooo much road scum on it.

Now back to camper building!

VanIsle_Greg

Those awful OEM chrome running boards are coming off next. I have never liked the look, and they look worse now. ;)
New slider / steps on the way. I think? I ordered a set, turns out 'in stock' means "Might be either out of stock or discontinued by the manufacturer..." lol

Tried another place with them 'in stock' lol...fingers crossed.

ITTOG

Those awful OEM chrome running boards are coming off next. I have never liked the look, and they look worse now. ;)
They don't look too bad but I understand. I hate chrome as well. I have been on a chrome delete path on my F150 for a while now.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

2 weeks for my 2 day delivery... sigh. Long story, but the rails showed up and then it rained for like 5 days straight. This past weekend I removed the old OEM running boards, and then it rained again. Next morning the sun came out so I installed them. Also added some Husky mud flaps... I do not like the look, but the function is needed. So much spray from these new wider tires, coating the sides of the truck and they barely stick out!

20220227_145316.jpg

20220227_145323.jpg

20220227_145341.jpg

Tighter to the body, rigidly mounted, thicker steel and less... stainless-y. Next up, replacing the 4 candle power OEM original Halpgen bulbs with LED in the OEM projector housings. Might be able to see at night again. #dullglow #dim #weaksauce

Hoping to get the camper back in the posts soon, now that it is not freeing out and I can work on it again. Yay!

VanIsle_Greg

I did some things. Not many things I took photos of, but I did some things...

Installed the front (easy) running lights. Pretty simple, layout, drill, Sika, clean, wire. Well the wire part is still TBD (to be done).

20220403_174619.jpg

20220403_174607.jpg

20220403_174601.jpg

I also did some re-aligning of the roof lift system uprights. They were sitting too close to the side, and needed a tweak to allow room for the canvas that is STILL waiting to be installed. I pontificated for a few weeks on how to make this work, and think I have a plan that may work. Stay tuned for that exciting post soon.

In the meantime I did couple of quickie videos of the roof lift system explained and in action. I will do some more in-depth videos at some point, not super comfortable in front of the camera, so will see what I come up with. heh Also, I need a mic and a tripod!

Lift system lowering.

Details on how it was put together.

If it was not blowing 60 knots out there I would be working on it now!

Attachments

• 20210829_190248.jpg
    20210829_190248.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210829_190240.jpg
    20210829_190240.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 46

Mules

I did some things. Not many things I took photos of, but I did some things...

Installed the front (easy) running lights. Pretty simple, layout, drill, Sika, clean, wire. Well the wire part is still TBD (to be done).

View attachment 717761

View attachment 717762

View attachment 717763

I also did some re-aligning of the roof lift system uprights. They were sitting too close to the side, and needed a tweak to allow room for the canvas that is STILL waiting to be installed. I pontificated for a few weeks on how to make this work, and think I have a plan that may work. Stay tuned for that exciting post soon.

In the meantime I did couple of quickie videos of the roof lift system explained and in action. I will do some more in-depth videos at some point, not super comfortable in front of the camera, so will see what I come up with. heh Also, I need a mic and a tripod!

Lift system lowering.

Details on how it was put together.

If it was not blowing 60 knots out there I would be working on it now!
The build looks incredible. Keep it up! Thanks for video's also, they look great.

VanIsle_Greg

The build looks incredible. Keep it up! Thanks for video's also, they look great.
Man, I do not get on here as much as I used to / would like to. Life keeps getting in the way of all my hobbies and projects.

I did finally manage to get a few things done recently, but took very few pictures of any of it. I installed a new sink, and a new Bar faucet... the other one was too low. I also finished up 98% of the wiring now... only stuff left is the connection to the truck and the running lights, backup camera. All interior wiring is GTG. Oh and I found an AMAZING deal on a Victron MPPT 30A charge controller and a charging relay. Lady sold her boat and these are both NIB so yeah... going to switch out the Renogy MPPT and Bluetooth setup I have now. Reason... Renogy app is pretty meh... Victron app is way better.

Only pics I took. lol Front lights look great.

20220605_194524.jpg

Running lights installed on the rear, was a PITA because there is no room at all... and I had to fit it under the roof and over the camera!

20220605_192622.jpg

Honestly, I am so close to completed now. I just need to get the sides installed... though my upper attachment plan is causing me to have some second thoughts. Stay tuned, going to try to get that done this week!

Mules

Man, I do not get on here as much as I used to / would like to. Life keeps getting in the way of all my hobbies and projects.

I did finally manage to get a few things done recently, but took very few pictures of any of it. I installed a new sink, and a new Bar faucet... the other one was too low. I also finished up 98% of the wiring now... only stuff left is the connection to the truck and the running lights, backup camera. All interior wiring is GTG. Oh and I found an AMAZING deal on a Victron MPPT 30A charge controller and a charging relay. Lady sold her boat and these are both NIB so yeah... going to switch out the Renogy MPPT and Bluetooth setup I have now. Reason... Renogy app is pretty meh... Victron app is way better.

Only pics I took. lol Front lights look great.

View attachment 725302

Running lights installed on the rear, was a PITA because there is no room at all... and I had to fit it under the roof and over the camera!

View attachment 725303

Honestly, I am so close to completed now. I just need to get the sides installed... though my upper attachment plan is causing me to have some second thoughts. Stay tuned, going to try to get that done this week!
I know how DIYs go, so hang in there! Wonderful craftsmanship, and I can't wait to see pictures on the road.

ITTOG

I know how DIYs go, so hang in there! Wonderful craftsmanship, and I can't wait to see pictures on the road.
You do? You have done so well with yours I feel like it is your day job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mules

You do? You have done so well with yours I feel like it is your day job.

I just wish it was my day job. I've got 35 years experience in construction, fabrication, machining, manufacturing, and engineering. Now I sit In my office all day managing. Can't complain too much, but I love hands on designing and building stuff. I can't wait to build my retirement garage/shop!

VanIsle_Greg

I just wish it was my day job. I've got 35 years experience in construction, fabrication, machining, manufacturing, and engineering. Now I sit In my office all day managing. Can't complain too much, but I love hands on designing and building stuff. I can't wait to build my retirement garage/shop!
Ha ha... me too. I am an Information Technology Manager...and I used to do and know IT stuff. Now, I push paper, do budgets and answer emails. I miss datacenter trips and hands on storage administration. Don't miss those 13 hour days and LONG graveyard shifts however.
;)

ITTOG

Ha ha... me too. I am an Information Technology Manager...and I used to do and know IT stuff. Now, I push paper, do budgets and answer emails. I miss datacenter trips and hands on storage administration. Don't miss those 13 hour days and LONG graveyard shifts however.
;)
Sounds like we have the same job. At work and home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz