Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
All you can do is ride it through. The news says that the increased rain and hurricane activity are all due to global warming, so you might have even more hurricane activity in the coming years.

Bob, it may be my imagination but I believe we have had more serious storms in the last five years than we've had in the last 20 years, so there may be something to that.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Pat have you looked at a topo map of your homes location? Also flood plain maps. Good tools to help predict where you sit for water rising. ...... and where your exits sit for water rising.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pat have you looked at a topo map of your homes location? Also flood plain maps. Good tools to help predict where you sit for water rising. ...... and where your exits sit for water rising.

Oh yeah, and I do it every year to see if anything has changed.

When you live here, that is one of the first things you want to know. I live 4 miles inland and North of the Inter-coastal Waterway (ICW) and I'm 33 ft. above sea level. However, I do have a bay that is 1.75 miles west of me. I am high and dry normally, but if a storm makes landfall west of us in Alabama somewhere like Orange Beach, we will get the worst of it. The winds will push all the water up into in the bay and cause it to overflow, and possibly flood the neighborhoods around it. This has never happened that I know of, but the storms we are having seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Oh yeah, and I do it every year to see if anything has changed.

When you live here, that is one of the first things you want to know. ....
if your wise!!! glad you wise. My dad bought our lot in Panama City suburb across the road from a bayou...well.... actually the whole suburb is a small peninsula in some respects.. bay on one end... and a bayou on each side. but our spot was the highest land in the area. No Hurricane yet has reached those doors... but got close. (built in mid 50's) Was also built cement block. Sorta ugly and poor for the area.. but never got damaged except flat roof on occasion. Everyone else flooded many times. Grew up watching him track the storms.. Now I sorta do too lol.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
if your wise!!! glad you wise. My dad bought our lot in Panama City suburb across the road from a bayou...well.... actually the whole suburb is a small peninsula in some respects.. bay on one end... and a bayou on each side. but our spot was the highest land in the area. No Hurricane yet has reached those doors... but got close. (built in mid 50's) Was also built cement block. Sorta ugly and poor for the area.. but never got damaged except flat roof on occasion. Grew up watching him track the storms.. Now I sorta do too lol.

Pensacola Beach still has a lot of the old cinder block houses built in the 50's, and since they are all ground level they always flood every time a hurricane hits us. People just go in with hoses and pressure washers and clean everything out and rebuild them. The insurance companies hate them, but as long as the damage assessment doesn't go above a certain level, there is nothing they can do about them.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Bob, it may be my imagination but I believe we have had more serious storms in the last five years than we've had in the last 20 years, so there may be something to that.
last storm this serious was in Opel in 1995 so that kinda junks this theory.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I wasn't talking about storms that hit Pensacola, but storms in general. Yes, Opal was pretty bad and we even have a beach named after it from where it made landfall.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Good morning all!

This pretty much shows the current situation. This storm is 155 miles wide and still moving North at 13 mph. Winds are 145 mph and increasing. If it gets up to 155 mph, it will be a Cat 5. It has turned to the NE just slightly and we're still waiting for the actual turn it's supposed to make. The cold front to the West of us that was supposed to push it to the East, has stalled over Louisiana.

Even if it doesn't make the turn and continues North, we will still be on the West side of the eye. Conditions here will go downhill fast and the damage level will increase drastically.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL14_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
That's correct, but the nasty side is the east side of the storm, because it's turning counter-clockwise. It's just starting to make landfall now.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, Tyndall was dead center. Wind at 155 mph with gust to 175 mph. 2 more mph and it would have been a Cat 5.

sshot-2018-10-10-[1].png

Coachgeo

Explorer
side note.... worst winds are right side of "direction of travel" on our side of the hemisphere this is often confused to right side of birds eye view with north at top or am I misunderstanding the info in this link? http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D6.html

this one has bounced a little from north. to north east. to north west.. presently north north east you might say.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
The eye wall as Michael came ashore.

This is what Mexico Beach looks like right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior