PHL -> ATX in a ford e350 7.3 in 12 days (Maintenance list before I leave?)

mortaldemon

Unexpected detour! I am leaving ~ Nov. 9th. I have purchased a serpentine belt, will check wheel bearings, do a diff change, adjust the camber/caster. I do have a spare CPS and will try to and bleed the brakes/ inspect the parking brake. My van is a 2002 PSD and I have had to use roadside assistance (AAA) as my hydra chip jostled on the ECU and cut fuel or power when going over a bump. Appreciate the tips guys! I might end up in Arizona of Cali. Austin is the first destination, we will see. I am excited and I am bringing my ktm 500 along for adventures. Can't bring myself to sell my mountain bike or dirt bike yet, but finances will dictate soon enough. Thank you all for the responses, great bunch of guys on this forum!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Saddle up!!
66b9ec4cc40badd843856546b24647c4.jpg
e7651106b782fee3749d8e9185e5d7d6.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mortaldemon

Saddle up!!
66b9ec4cc40badd843856546b24647c4.jpg
e7651106b782fee3749d8e9185e5d7d6.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Yeehaw!! I assumed a gs1200 but is that a Yamaha badge?? Im guessing you're pushing that tongue weight with that bad boy on the back. I will be purchasing a hitch for my bike soon enough. I want a bike rack to mount my MTB on top too!! $_$

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Yeehaw!! I assumed a gs1200 but is that a Yamaha badge?? Im guessing you're pushing that tongue weight with that bad boy on the back. I will be purchasing a hitch for my bike soon enough. I want a bike rack to mount my MTB on top too!! $_$

Negative ghost rider...

250cc adventure bike imported by California scooter company...RX3 zongshen weighs 400lbs fully dressed...and a blast to ride!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
i understand the TEMP GUN so many use today butt 'taint necessary for checking condition of runnin gear

each time you stop for fuel(vehicle or human) check the tyres n hubs manually

the back of your hand against the sidewall of each tyre will tell you all you need to know

as will your finger tips against the center of the wheel where it has the greatest contact w/ the hub

if you can't comfortably touch those points you have an issue

like shaking warm milk from a baby bottle on the inside of your wrist will tell you if it's right for baby to drink

as mentioned above the sunny side will be a bit warmer

once you get to Texas the temps will be warmer... DUH!!!

once you get to Texas you have a limited amount of time to get your vehicle inspected and the title n tags changed out

the parking brake is a part of that inspection so you need to get that issue taken care of

the parking brake on my '02 F-350 froze up due to exposure to a salt environment and lack of use causing me to get that problem resolved before they woud pass the truck

you will have to present the inspection certificate when getting the title & tags switched over to Texas

take a serpentine belt w/ you along w/ the tools to change it(wont likely need it)

some of the 7.3's ran the upper radiator hose thru the belt so have the ability to remove the upper hose from the radiator to affect the change along w/ some 50/50 coolant to top the system off as needed after the change

you already changed the oil & fuel filter

check the age of your tyres

tyres over 10 years old tend to begin failing w/ Texas heat and some major name tyre shops wont touch 'em if they're older than 10

you didn't mention std/auto transmission

if auto check the fluid level & COLOUR(ask uncle how to do it)

the stuff on the dip stick should be PINK

if not then get AT transmission fluid changed(requires special equipment to suck the old out and replace w/ measured amount of fresh)

most of the tyme you can park over night @ truck stops free and SS&S there too

a shower can be bought at the trucker's fuel desk for a few bucks(usually less than $10 incl fresh towel and more often than not it will be in a nice full private bathroom

no need to tell them you aren't a trucker

SHINY SIDE UP

T

This is good advice except for a couple things. If you're traveling cross country get yourself a discount card for Loves, Pilot/FlyingJ and/or Petro/TA. They all have points accumulated through purchasing fuel, which you'll be doing. The points can be used for showers and almost anything in the store (except beer, ask me how I know). Showers are $12 nowadays and you certainly don't need to be a trucker to use them. They are cleaner and nicer than most motels.

Second, heat gun. Buy one, online. They are really cheap. Sure you can use the back of your hand but that would be denying yourself the opportunity to buy an amazingly useful little tool. Everyone should buy themselves a new tool today, and tomorrow, and the next day. Wondering what the temp of the rocks around the fire pit are after beer number 8? HEAT GUN! Wondering whether your child has a fever? HEAT GUN to the forehead! Wondering what the temp of that engine component next to the serpentine belt you're changing on the roadside? HEAT GUN! Need to give your cat some exercise and yourself some entertainment? HEAT GUN! (they are like a laser pointer).

Need I say more? :D

5spd97

[QUOTE="86scotty, post: 2545207, member: 38674"

Second, heat gun. Buy one, online. They are really cheap. Sure you can use the back of your hand but that would be denying yourself the opportunity to buy an amazingly useful little tool.
:D[/QUOTE]

Haha, my feelings exactly! I use my temp gun all of the time and it costs next to nothing to buy, I think HF puts them on sale for less than $20. Great tool.

tatanka48

This is good advice except for a couple things. If you're traveling cross country get yourself a discount card for Loves, Pilot/FlyingJ and/or Petro/TA. They all have points accumulated through purchasing fuel, which you'll be doing. The points can be used for showers and almost anything in the store (except beer, ask me how I know). Showers are $12 nowadays and you certainly don't need to be a trucker to use them. They are cleaner and nicer than most motels.

Second, heat gun......

Everyone should buy themselves a new tool today, and tomorrow, and the next day.

Need I say more? :D

86scotty brings up a great point about the showers being clean and plentiful

most often they allow couples to use one for the same price as a single and the custodians in the shower area always have extra towels on their carts and will gladly let you have them if you simply ask

and just remember...

he/she who dies with the most tools...

is still dead ;-)

T

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Extra fuel filter. I've had one plug up under 1000 miles with a load of bad fuel so I always carry one. Traveling at 60-65mph can save 10-20 pct on fuel and is less stress on an old vehicle than 75-80 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94