Patriot Campers

volpe30

I’m getting ready to install rocklights on our x1. Have them on my LJ jeep and find them useful when working underneath in the dark. For the x1, they’ll come in handy when out in the pitch dark, having 2 dogs and the fact I go to bed late and get up real early, without turning on the tent & awning lights and waking the wife up.

My plan is to tie them into the TVMS system. I removed the fuse panel this weekend to see what I was working with and read through the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know how it works out. Would be great to get some installed and tied into the TVMS, so if you get it sorted out I would love a go-by to do it as well.

Matt Green: If you are watching this thread and reading this you guys should offer this as an upgrade/option. I would have paid for it.

brandon12777

Matt Green: If you are watching this thread and reading this you guys should offer this as an upgrade/option. I would have paid for it.

and I still might, hint hint...

Side question for you guys, do you guys feel like the two small propane tanks are enough? I'm thinking for the grill or a fire pit when there are restrictions, propane heater, etc?

Thanks,
Brandon

volpe30

and I still might, hint hint...

Side question for you guys, do you guys feel like the two small propane tanks are enough? I'm thinking for the grill or a fire pit when there are restrictions, propane heater, etc?

Thanks,
Brandon
I think it all depends on how long you will be out and how heavily you use them. If you are running a fire pit for a few hours a night and heater for the same or more you will burn through propane pretty quickly. Given that scenario, and totally spitballing here, but you'd probably be good for maybe 3-4 days. Any more and I'd bring extra. But that's just a guess.

brandon12777

I have the webasto diesel heater, so propane is used for stove & grill in my case.

I ordered with the webasto also, but from what I've heard it's not going to handle really cold nights (probably works great in Australia lol). Thinking about having a little propane heater as my backup/supplemental.

I ordered with the webasto also, but from what I've heard it's not going to handle really cold nights (probably works great in Australia lol). Thinking about having a little propane heater as my backup/supplemental.
Where would you place the auxiliary heater, in the vestibule? I know the knock off little buddy heaters will burn one pound in about 8 hours on high. Our real Mr Heater Lil Buddies are more conservative on fuel.

brandon12777

That's kinda what I'm thinking, I don't get mine till June/July so weather will be fine even in the mountains for a while. Just trying to think of what my cold weather plan will be, cold nights make for rough camping with the whole family. I'm even thinking about getting a small electric and using a little Honda Genny for it. I think for the cold stuff the webasto won't keep up but it should do enough that you only need to supplement heat.

volpe30

Where would you place the auxiliary heater, in the vestibule? I know the knock off little buddy heaters will burn one pound in about 8 hours on high. Our real Mr Heater Lil Buddies are more conservative on fuel.
When we were out last weekend that's what I did the second night. It was 28 degrees, at most, and while the Webasto helped a bit it was still cold. I have the Portable Buddy Heater that I put on a wood slat platform that I also use for the shower on the floor of the main tent. Between that and the Webasto it got very comfortable. I ran it a few times during the night and in the morning to warm things up.

volpe30

That's kinda what I'm thinking, I don't get mine till June/July so weather will be fine even in the mountains for a while. Just trying to think of what my cold weather plan will be, cold nights make for rough camping with the whole family. I'm even thinking about getting a small electric and using a little Honda Genny for it. I think for the cold stuff the webasto won't keep up but it should do enough that you only need to supplement heat.
With the kids room attached the Webasto will not be enough on colder nights. On nights below 35-40, especially with the kids room attached, I'll be running our Portable Buddy Heater on the floor of the main tent as needed to warm everything up. I bought the hose that will go from one of the 10lb propane tanks to the heater.

If it’s like this out you’ll want some extra heat!
4ac1641819e6045211934851ea477198.jpg
1b4fe00d409e634484491d3b6bc08c89.jpg

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

We have a lil Mr Heater that’ll we’ll keep on hand for colder nights and just use the small green propane canisters. Not sure how it’ll work out with our 2 dogs down on the floor and the heater. Also I wouldn’t want to lug bigger 20lb propane tanks around in place of the 2 11lb tanks that came with the x1. Besides, Id be kidding myself if I thought I could get my wife out camping when its that cold at night. We live in CO.

volpe30

It’s been a while since I’ve posted—work, kids, life will do that. Thought I’d give an update on how things were going with the Patriot. We spent this past week living out of it in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho. Bottom line—it’s an amazing trailer. There’s a caveat, but I’ll cover that below.

We were base camping with the whole family, wife, two kids (15 and 11), and two dogs. First, living quarters. The bed, main tent, and annex/kids room provided a really roomy and, most important, easy to live in space. Coming from a RTT with my Xventure the extra room, ability to have a standing/living room type area, was awesome and especially appreciated by my wife, who loved having the space, and dogs, who used to have to sleep in the back of the truck. Within that space you have access to the storage compartments on the right side of the trailer, which is super convenient to access clothes, toiletries, and whatever else you have stored there. There are also numerous charging points and the 1,000 watt inverter within that space. With the shower tent set up you are able to hop out of it and into the standing area of the tent to get dressed, etc. The annex room, while not difficult, is a bit time consuming to set up. On future trips when we are moving every day I will definitely leave it attached and fold it up with the rest of the tent under the cover. The king size bed and mattress are really comfortable. Kids enjoyed having their own space with two cots. It’s just a very livable space. Nights dipped to low 40’s and the Webasto heater, coupled with our Enlightened Equipment down quilts (awesome products that I highly recommend), kept us plenty warm.

The awning provides great coverage, which was very much appreciated when a few storms rolled through. I’d like to see them do a redesign to simplify it and make it more sturdy, along the lines of the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning, but it does the job and is made well.

The kitchen is simply awesome. Having the grill in addition to the stove is great. Burgers, pork loin—just pull the grill out, hit the igniter, and your on your way. The layout is really intuitive and just makes meal prep and cooking fun.

Speaking of intuitive, the Redarc TVMS, which controls all your electronics and manages the batteries is also awesome. The added ability to control all the lights and other electronics, as well as monitor your batteries via Bluetooth with your phone makes it even better. Seems silly, I know, but it’s one of those things that once you have and use it it’s really nice to have.

The trailer really is incredibly and impressively well engineered and built. The whole “it’s on another level” seems cliche, but it really is. Don’t just take my word. There was a couple where we were in a Black Series HQ19 (great folks) who we befriended and hung out with while there. They both commented that while they thought their trailer was well made the Patriot was just, here it is again, on another level. There was also a couple in a Mercedes/Airstream, the husband being an aerospace engineer, who commented multiple times on how impressed they were with the engineering and build quality.

Lastly, but important, it tows really well.

The caveat mentioned above—we did run into an issue. I don’t want to give any details yet because I just let the folks at Exploration Outfitters (dealer) know and I want to give both them and Patriot a few days to see how it’s handled. I will say it’s a Patriot Campers issue and not an Exploration Outfitters issue because the cause is build/assembly related.

That’s about it for now. Happy to answer any questions.
693c70d153439d0493c0d2f0501677d0.jpg
33025c1d94024cdce538ef7f400008e6.jpg
5aae8f55bcbf072dc1eda601198944b8.jpg
b9cf1c7c86c7cae2ed5b7eab4130eb2d.jpg

Last edited:

volpe30

Okay, I'm ready to address the issue I mentioned having in my last post with my Patriot X1. The trailer has two water tanks. When out camping a couple of weeks ago I noticed a significant water pressure difference between Tank 1 and Tank 2. Tank 1 had the pressure drop. The pressure drop was caused by some debris clogging up one of the water lines. Long story short--when holes are drilled into the water tanks for lines, level sensors, etc., plastic debris ends up in the tanks. That debris was not sufficiently flushed out prior to the trailer being assembled. So, that debris was what clogged up my water line. There was a lot of communication between myself, Patriot HQ in Australia, and Matt Green with Exploration Outfitters, the U.S. distributor. First, Brad Cullen, with Patriot, was very patient and incredibly helpful in guiding me through trouble shooting to find the problem. Second, Matt Green was all over the issue despite being busy at the Northwest Overland Rally. I was pretty aggravated and frustrated at times in dealing with this and they remained patient with me. I grew up in an Italian family in New York, so calm and quiet are not necessarily in my nature. Anyway, cleared the clog and pressure is same from both tanks now. Most important thing is Patriot Campers became aware of the issue and immediately started implementing corrective actions and policies to prevent this from happening in the future. Accountability is a big thing with me, and they stepped up, acknowledged there was an issue, and took immediate actions to address it. Really can't ask for much more than that. This hiccup doesn't change my opinion that it is an incredible piece of engineering and constructed with a second to none build, material, and component quality. Nothing else I've seen comes close to it. That's not hype. I'm not a fanboy. It's just a fact.

jkaylen

@volpe30 and 2jeeps-patriotx1 - Great Thread! I am looking at both the XV-2 and the Patriot X1-N (completely different price ranges) and debating.

1. Would you do the Webasto Heater again? I ask as it's something like a $5k option, versus just using a Mr. Heater?
2. Any thoughts on an X1-N and doing a hardtop RTT like the James Baroud Evasion Evolution? I ask because the N has an MSRP that is $9k less plus comes with air suspension (which is a $2.8k option on the X1). I do like the idea of the larger space the full X1 has, and the steps versus the ladder. Right now it's just the girlfriend and I, but that could change. Like the idea of the N as I could do a hardtop (quicker setup/take down) & save $5k or more, but then I miss out on steps v ladder and having a changing room.
3. 2jeeps-patriotx1 - I live near Glenwood Springs, any chance in exchange for some beer/whiskey/etc we could meet somewhere in Denver and I check out the trailer? I'll PM you.

Thank you again for a great thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles