Past the point of no return...

RusM

Adventurer
Let me know if you want to ship that diff, I'm interested and have cash in hand for a good deal.

oxi

Adventurer
I'd be careful with 5.29 gearing. The pinion is half the size of the stock unit...

I ran Richmond 5.29's on my desert racing 86 Toyota pickup and lost a few teeth during a Parker 400 event and switched back to the factory 4.10's and vowed never to switch gears again.

With the pinion being smaller, I guess it was only a matter of time before this would have happened under severe stress during desrt races.

The IFS can be built strong, just look at desert racing for inspiration!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'd be careful with 5.29 gearing. The pinion is half the size of the stock unit...

I ran Richmond 5.29's on my desert racing 86 Toyota pickup and lost a few teeth during a Parker 400 event and switched back to the factory 4.10's and vowed never to switch gears again.

With the pinion being smaller, I guess it was only a matter of time before this would have happened under severe stress during desrt races.

The IFS can be built strong, just look at desert racing for inspiration!

I promise to be extra-careful and not do ANY desert racing. :costumed-smiley-007

A agree, IFS can be built strong and there are plenty of examples but those solutions didn't meet any of my criteria or personal preferences. There is also a large body of experience with this gear set for those of us with 4 cylinder or small displacement engines, metric butt-loads of weight, and automatic transmissions. No problems with mine so far but I'll keep an eye on it; I'm an old guy who likes to go slow anyway.

jim65wagon

Wow! At 4700 lbs with basic gear, your truck is lighter than mine unloaded! I think after this swap you should consider a V8...just because you're old and retired doesn't mean you have to be slow!

Cool swap! Keep us posted.....and you should buy the wife a helmet so she doesn't hurt herself when she passes out at the bill......

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow! At 4700 lbs with basic gear, your truck is lighter than mine unloaded! I think after this swap you should consider a V8...just because you're old and retired doesn't mean you have to be slow!

Cool swap! Keep us posted.....and you should buy the wife a helmet so she doesn't hurt herself when she passes out at the bill......

But I feel every pound with half the number of fire snortin' cylinders you have. You won't have to work hard to convince me Jim... a dose of vitamin V8 sounds good. I mean really, the kids are out of college, right? The economy still needs stimulating. It's patriotic.

They got a lot of work done today and will be starting mock up soon. But its me who needs the helmet; guess I better dig out my old steel pot AND my kevlar brain bucket from the sea bag. The spouse has no problem going from zero to b...b...b..., 'annoyed,' in record time.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Very cool build! I'm looking forward to watching it come together. What size tires are you planning to run?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Very cool build! I'm looking forward to watching it come together. What size tires are you planning to run?

I'm going to stick with my 285 KM's for now but as of tonight it looks like it will take 35's pretty easily. Luckily there is a set of 315 KM2's on 100 rims close by for a test fit.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Oh no..... :Wow1: If you are looking to change.... will it be in my future? .
.Not anytime soon.... at least I would have to save my pennies... :smiley_drive:

Explorer
I'm going to stick with my 285 KM's for now but as of tonight it looks like it will take 35's pretty easily. Luckily there is a set of 315 KM2's on 100 rims close by for a test fit.

Does a 285 tuck inside the back fender flare on full compression? my 255's do just barely. I would imagine a 35 hitting both the front and back of the flare. Do you have any plans to make clearance for that?

Oh, and I'll gladly roll on up into Canada with you this summer, let me know when you pin those dates down. :)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Does a 285 tuck inside the back fender flare on full compression? my 255's do just barely. I would imagine a 35 hitting both the front and back of the flare. Do you have any plans to make clearance for that?

Oh, and I'll gladly roll on up into Canada with you this summer, let me know when you pin those dates down. :)

My 285 is about an inch less in diameter than your 255 but I did recenter my axle too, after I encountered rubbing (4crawlers axle relocation plates). Wait... that doesn't sound right - comparing size with a Montana boy. :Wow1:

Here's the proof as best I can document...

P6100096.jpg

P6100091.jpg

Great! I'm hoping to hook up with Freeze and the CT4WD crew for their July 2011 run on the Whipsaw trail; I think it's towards the end of the month.

shellb

Adventurer
Damn, Tango your truck is awesome...thanks for posting some more pics. I haven't been paying much attention to rigs in this section until recently... :drool:

I probably should stop...ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior