Pass climbing speed on FUSO based campers - EC or ATW

Steve_382

Just wondered what kind of speed these campers can hold on a long uphill climb. Maybe 6% or so for a few miles on a hot day. My SMB E350 with V10 can pull the pass north from Bishop CA on a hot summer day without overheating if I keep it about 59 or 60mph. My SMB only weighs about 8,200 loaded though. Thanks.

We were following a large RV (34'?) up the hill a week ago and were impressed with his speed until the transmission started blowing smoke and he had to pull to the side of the road. That ScanGuage is kind of handy sometimes.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
99 FG approaching 12k lbs will pull the pass up to the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 in Colorado in 4th gear and about 40 mph. (on the eastbound approach I have to downshift to 3rd for the last 1/3 of a mile or so) It's about a 6% grade for ten miles or so. Top of the climb is about 11,000 ft. I can pass many tractor trailers on the climb but almost everyone else passes me. I'm curious as to what other people are experiencing. I have neither a boost gauge nor an EGT gauge which would be useful in circumstances like this. By the way, does anyone know if there is an already existing fitting where a boost gauge can be installed on a 99FG?

Data on the climb in general:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks...y-duty-hurt-locker-eisenhower-pass-climb.html

I'm surprised that my FG with that much load is not very different than the Ram 3500 with a Cummins. Doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
Can't be a straight truck against truck comparison. I've owned a newer ram 2500 with a Cummins and a FG (newer with the Duonic transmission). With both in stock form the Ram performs at least 3 times better climbing a grade and pulling a load. It's hard to beat torque and HP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior