(partially) new Tundra coming?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Why go back to 6 lug? The 200 has the same 5 lug as the current Tundra. Unless the 300 series is also reverting. Perhaps they are going to IRS on the wagons.
Toyota shipped some new Tundra's to Australia when they first came out for a real Aussie workout. Aside from shearing some studs off and the weak tailgates(they caved in loading ATV's in to the bed ramps they liked them). Reliable thirsty rocketships. Maybe Toyota can figure out how to wring some mpg out of them next. Good utube on frame flex.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
It's funny the expectations that Ford and GM fanboys have....

Toyota lends out a Tundra for 100k miles of ranching duties...no questions asked.
It uses a stock Tundra to tow the space shuttle.
The truck handles both tasks with no issues.
Apparently, that's not work and apparently you fanboys have never seen a Tundra towing or hauling with a contractor or independent hot shotter...you must live in one of those weird areas where Toyota's don't exist.

But of course, Ford and GM do put pictures of their trucks working, so of course that means they're intended for work...unlike the Tundra....fanboy logic at its best.

If you spend even one minute looking at the chassis, rather than dwelling on car company advertising literature, you'd see that the Tundra is most definitely built for work.

Apparently I hit a nerve.
So to get this straight, Toyota’s bright idea was to build a work-specific truck, targeting contractors and working folks. Then leave them out completely from their marketing efforts, bombarding the buyer base with everything but ”work“. Brilliant.

For the record, nothing wrong with lifestyle trucks. That’s pretty much what 99% of us here use them for (inc me), regardless of brand. But to say the Tundra was a purpose built truck for work is laughable.

tacollie

Glamper
All half ton trucks are life style trucks. Imo when the current gen Tundra came out it raised the bar for work for half ton trucks. 13 years later I think the competition has caught up. We love ours but I'm not super optimistic about the new one based on the 3rd gen Tacomas.

All the farmers, ranchers, and welders I know are buying works trucks that have things the Tundra doesn't. Things like air condition seats and diesels. When you're driving 35k miles a year and breaking your back to make money those massaging seats are nice. The only people who like stripped down "work" trucks are fleet managers and Luddite outdoor enthusiast ?

bkg

Explorer
This from the link you posted:
"At Nissan, a 'platform' refers to the location of the engine, driveline, fuel tank, brake lines, and other major components. When they have the same location and the same build sequence is followed, those vehicles are said to be built on the same platform and they can be run down the same assembly line," says Orth Hedrick, regional product manager, Product Planning, Nissan North America."

So "sharing a platform" doesn't mean any of the structural components are the same.

Tell ya what. You're right. You win. Ignore the multitude of threads about it... Shoot, even Fourwheeler Mag mentions it. That's fine. Because you're right.

bkg

Explorer
Toyota shipped some new Tundra's to Australia when they first came out for a real Aussie workout. Aside from shearing some studs off and the weak tailgates(they caved in loading ATV's in to the bed ramps they liked them). Reliable thirsty rocketships. Maybe Toyota can figure out how to wring some mpg out of them next. Good utube on frame flex.
Totally forgot about the 1st wave of tailgate issues. I remember the redesign that was supposed to fix it, and IMHO, did minimize it, in mid '08, IIRC.

nickw

Adventurer
All half ton trucks are life style trucks. Imo when the current gen Tundra came out it raised the bar for work for half ton trucks. 13 years later I think the competition has caught up. We love ours but I'm not super optimistic about the new one based on the 3rd gen Tacomas.

All the farmers, ranchers, and welders I know are buying works trucks that have things the Tundra doesn't. Things like air condition seats and diesels. When you're driving 35k miles a year and breaking your back to make money those massaging seats are nice. The only people who like stripped down "work" trucks are fleet managers and Luddite outdoor enthusiast ?
It depends on what you need to do. If your a landscaper hauling around a 2000 lb trailer, there is obviously no need for a 3/4t + truck. Judging by the number of dudes I see in 3/4 - 1 ton trucks driving their single motos around, you could argue the HD trucks have become the 'new' lifestyle truck.

The 1/2 tons make a lot of sense for commuting and non-heavy haul commercial use, delivery, landscaping, pest control, etc. type businesses....certainly not lifestyle, let's be honest.

There are also the guys that haul light travel trailers, motos, bicycles but also need to make trips to dump, haul lumber/mulch/rock....makes a helluva lot more sense to have a 1/2 t than a HD pickup.

tacollie

Glamper
Hey, I resemble that remark! I used to be middle of the road SR5, XLT, BigHorn truck guy, but this site has turned me into a fleet truck guy :LOL:
And you're right about the 1/2 tons. All are pretty much lifestyle trucks. As someone said, the family sedan/wagon of the 21st century. 3/4 or 1 ton are the standard work trucks (which Toyota doesn't make).
My buddy with a 16' Ram 1500 Laramie thinks my limited Tundra is Spartan. My girlfriend thinks it's so nice she calls it an my old man truck.

Interestingly Ford has looked at the same need for a “work specific“ truck and has actually come up with one, recently announcing its new, basic F150 “Cattleman” Edition.

And FWIW, here’s another teaser picture of what the new Tundra might look like, posted just today on https://www.motor1.com/news/392230/new-toyota-tundra-rendering/
View attachment 560803

So what's going to be found under this restyled hood? It’s already been revealed that the new Toyota Tundra will probably come out with a twin-turbo 3.5-liter hybrid V6, similar to the one found in the Lexus line, putting out an impressive 450 horses. But more importantly for some folks, it’s rumored that a Tundra hybrid power plant could also be offered.
Gross. I don't think I can get past the outside to see under the hood. A hybrid would be nice.

The Ford package looks like a dealership package. I think Ford's work package is the HDPP. That's something every company should offer!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

You know frame flex isn’t weak right

rruff

Explorer
You know frame flex isn’t weak right
You can tell it's a POS from the frame flex.... :unsure:

2014-ford-f350-frame-bed-twist-test.png

nickw

Adventurer
Interestingly Ford has looked at the same need for a “work specific“ truck and has actually come up with one, recently announcing its new, basic F150 “Cattleman” Edition.

And FWIW, here’s another teaser picture of what the new Tundra might look like, posted just today on https://www.motor1.com/news/392230/new-toyota-tundra-rendering/
View attachment 560803

So what's going to be found under this restyled hood? It’s already been revealed that the new Toyota Tundra will probably come out with a twin-turbo 3.5-liter hybrid V6, similar to the one found in the Lexus line, putting out an impressive 450 horses. But more importantly for some folks, it’s rumored that a Tundra hybrid power plant could also be offered.
So that cattleman ADDS $6k to base price? That looks to be an non OEM aftermarket add to a base F150 no?

nickw

Adventurer
Wasn’t Fall Guy’s truck a GM? Loved that show.
If I ever buy a maroon or blue F150, I’d love to get this treatment done.
it was, just reminds me of that two tone vintage 80s roll ball era....you better buy yourself a cowboy hat and CB too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles