(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
I see your point from a usage standpoint. For me, economically it does not make sense to have two vehicles.
I am thinking of economics. If very small 1-2 person vehicles were safe to use in cities, they could be simple and inexpensive due to short range and limited speed (one gear and a DC motor would be fine). Take up little room on the road or parking. Cost nothing to drive. Save your big ICE for long trips, or hauling people or cargo.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I am thinking of economics. If very small 1-2 person vehicles were safe to use in cities, they could be simple and inexpensive due to short range and limited speed (one gear and a DC motor would be fine). Take up little room on the road or parking. Cost nothing to drive. Save your big ICE for long trips, or hauling people or cargo.
A small 1-2 person light weight vehicle wouldn't work for me. My everyday commute is 34 miles 1 way. Freeway and highway. I believe a hybrid truck would benefit me more.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I see your point from a usage standpoint. For me, economically it does not make sense to have two vehicles.
If my Expedition could do 12-18miles EV it would be perfect for my needs. My wifes Plug-in Fusion during this COVID home office and no sports was the local EV trips car. Its a C level interior vehicle and larger footprint than our Subaru Outback. No need for a clown car when large, very nice and safe normal cars easily already do this local trip in EV mode. No joke 13 months between gas station visits for that car. The solar power setup I designed, bought and installed covers pretty much all our power needs 12months a yr with the small EV power / charging. If we go Full EV it will get charged at wife’s office for free.

roving1

It's really depressing as a once Toyota fan. I have been treading hopefully in an ocean of nothing hoping they would get a really impressive clean sheet design with class leading features in things I care about. It's clear everything is just going to get punted until a pivot to battery and hybrid now.

It's no different than other auto makers but for most auto makers I have not cared about anything they have made in 25 years, exceptions aside.

I was hoping for brief final golden age of focused development like the Bronco seems to have had. But everything is just going to be a giant punt and polish the turd game to devote resources to electrification and autonomy and other things I don't care about.

I'm not a luddite per se, I like I lot or aspects about coming new technology. But when it comes to my beloved 4wds I really thought Toyota had a chance to become something special again in a more traditional ICE vehicle before all of the resource devouring frenzy sucked out any chance of an exciting development on a more traditional vehicle.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's really depressing as a once Toyota fan. I have been treading hopefully in an ocean of nothing hoping they would get a really impressive clean sheet design with class leading features in things I care about. It's clear everything is just going to get punted until a pivot to battery and hybrid now.

It's no different than other auto makers but for most auto makers I have not cared about anything they have made in 25 years, exceptions aside.

I was hoping for brief final golden age of focused development like the Bronco seems to have had. But everything is just going to be a giant punt and polish the turd game to devote resources to electrification and autonomy and other things I don't care about.

I'm not a luddite per se, I like I lot or aspects about coming new technology. But when it comes to my beloved 4wds I really thought Toyota had a chance to become something special again in a more traditional ICE vehicle before all of the resource devouring frenzy sucked out any chance of an exciting development on a more traditional vehicle.
25yrs in Toyota trucks I didn’t even bother looking at anything they made when I went shopping for a new ride. Even my wifes plug-in hybrid not a Toyota absolutely crushed the Prius in interior quality, Technology, safety, quiet ride (can actually speak to people on the phone while moving) even out did the Prius on mileage!! No Toyota tax meaning we got a top trim model at invoice plus $7500 tax credit.
After having that vehicle for 4 yrs zero issues and absolutely crushed the Toyota I sold my Toyota truck and shopped all the Domestics. For Full sized anything Toyota gets its ******** kicked 7 ways to Sunday all week every week right now.
Its shocking how little Toyota has done to try and stay a market leader. Today your only buying a brand and decade old stuff for top dollar ?

roving1

25yrs in Toyota trucks I didn’t even bother looking at anything they made when I went shopping for a new ride. Even my wifes plug-in hybrid not a Toyota absolutely crushed the Prius in interior quality, Technology, safety, quiet ride (can actually speak to people on the phone while moving) even out did the Prius on mileage!! No Toyota tax meaning we got a top trim model at invoice plus $7500 tax credit.
After having that vehicle for 4 yrs zero issues and absolutely crushed the Toyota I sold my Toyota truck and shopped all the Domestics. For Full sized anything Toyota gets its ******** kicked 7 ways to Sunday all week every week right now.
Its shocking how little Toyota has done to try and stay a market leader. Today your only buying a brand and decade old stuff for top dollar ?

Agreed.

For me I just hate the size of full size trucks and for appliance cars I don't care so whatever is nicest and reliable and cheap is fine.

So it's not that I don't think there are plenty of non-Toyota things that are great to buy just for my personal passions the list has been small and getting smaller every year, except for things like the Bronco. But I don't think Toyota is going to have their Bronco moment. There was never a great chance of that but there was always some chance, until recently, and now it's pretty clear there is zero chance.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If my Expedition could do 12-18miles EV it would be perfect for my needs. My wifes Plug-in Fusion during this COVID home office and no sports was the local EV trips car. Its a C level interior vehicle and larger footprint than our Subaru Outback. No need for a clown car when large, very nice and safe normal cars easily already do this local trip in EV mode. No joke 13 months between gas station visits for that car. The solar power setup I designed, bought and installed covers pretty much all our power needs 12months a yr with the small EV power / charging. If we go Full EV it will get charged at wife’s office for free.
Yes, the Expedition EV you described is what would be ideal for me as well. (but in pick up truck form). Little more range in EV mode would be nicer though, haha

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed.

For me I just hate the size of full size trucks and for appliance cars I don't care so whatever is nicest and reliable and cheap is fine.

So it's not that I don't think there are plenty of non-Toyota things that are great to buy just for my personal passions the list has been small and getting smaller every year, except for things like the Bronco. But I don't think Toyota is going to have their Bronco moment. There was never a great chance of that but there was always some chance, until recently, and now it's pretty clear there is zero chance.
Even the Bronc Sport shows creativity with an otherwise bland boring “Escape” rental fleet vehicle, some tweaking and getting more serious about ability both cargo, and off pavement and they have a vehicle that puts the RAV and Outback to shame.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Even the Bronc Sport shows creativity with an otherwise bland boring “Escape” rental fleet vehicle, some tweaking and getting more serious about ability both cargo, and off pavement and they have a vehicle that puts the RAV and Outback to shame.
I dunno.... I was pretty impressed with what this little Rav could do...

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You won’t catch Toyota taking the RAV out in Moab. I was pretty shocked when this video came out.
Pretty impressive stuff.

This is all I could find for video on the Rav. Wish there where some exterior shots so it would give a little more dimension to how difficult the trail was.

Really, I'm pretty impressed with both vehicles. The article and both videos show that really, they have all the capability that I'd require.

Also, all the spotters seemed to do great jobs at giving direction.

rruff

Explorer
Man, I hate the styling on those Ravs... liked the old ones much better. And the stupid tall hood is now a thing even on small SUVs.

Makes me think the new Tundra is going to be really ugly...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
RAV has low hanging body work on the nose even the TRD version which greatly reduces it ability. TRD only gets you tires and stickers?. Classic Toyota move

bkg

Explorer
RAV has low hanging body work on the nose even the TRD version which greatly reduces it ability. TRD only gets you tires and stickers?. Classic Toyota move

It really is quite brilliant. TRD... sell a bunch. Then TRD Pro.... Then TRD Off-Road... Just keep changing the stickers and people will buy!

GA Native

I think it fills the niche for people that want an "off road" aesthetic without wanting the size and price of a 4 runner. I had the previous generation as commuter and liked it for its intended purpose.

Toyota's Description:

"The 2020 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road leverages a 203-horsepower 2.5L Dynamic Force 4-cylinder engine, offering off-road-ready performance and immaculate fuel efficiency. The model can haul items like personal watercrafts, dirt bikes or a small enclosed trailer with a maximum tow rating of 3,500 lbs. The TRD-tuned independent MacPherson strut front suspension offers an 8.6-inch ground clearance and a smoother ride over rough trails.

Other off-road functional features found on the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road include a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires, a four-mode Multi-Terrain Select system and the impressive Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive system, which can direct up to 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94