(partially) new Tundra coming?

Wallygator

Adventurer
Huh? Test Mule is for testing new configs... hence the camo... what would be the point of a test mule that doesn't "test" new equipment??

I was referring to the cab on the test mule. I think they are using an old cab on the test mule and the new truck will be all new. I don't think they would expose the new cab to the public this early. At least that is my hope.

Reactions: bkg

Clutch

<---Pass
They probably did their research and decided it wouldn't be popular (WB and truck too long for urban use). But I'm pretty sure it would sell as well as the 8' bed DC with 165" wheelbase!

Yeah, probably right. 1/2 ton market CC 5' bed is the most popular here. Yet the 3/4-1 ton crowd it is the CC 6'+, CCLB's are a bit rarer....at least in this neck of the woods.

CM6.5 does look awfully good though.

QOHDXOJl.jpg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
twin turbo v6 and a diesel are rumored

Possible, but I kinda doubt it. The diesel has been rumored forever but makes no sense, and Toyota isn't a "turbo company". They generally go for hybrids for improving mpg... but I don't expect that either.

If they change anything in that area, it will most likely be small engine refinements and more gears.

bkg

Explorer
Possible, but I kinda doubt it. The diesel has been rumored forever but makes no sense, and Toyota isn't a "turbo company" anymore. They generally go for hybrids for improving mpg... but I don't expect that either.

If they change anything in that area, it will most likely be small engine refinements and more gears.

miss the ol I-6 turbos.. :

Clutch

<---Pass

rruff

Explorer
If we were paying $6/gal for gas I could see it, but I don't expect that to happen for a long time. Heck even when gas prices peaked a decade ago, it barely dented the US penchant for V8 trucks.

The Tundra's main selling point is long term reliability. Going high tech to save 1-2mpg doesn't fit that narrative. Even if you don't care about long term, anyone who has done the math has seen that lower depreciation more than makes up for that mpg deficit. I expect the Tundra will stick with a V8 for now.

Clutch

<---Pass
If we were paying $6/gal for gas I could see it, but I don't expect that to happen for a long time. Heck even when gas prices peaked a decade ago, it barely dented the US penchant for V8 trucks.

The Tundra's main selling point is long term reliability. Going high tech to save 1-2mpg doesn't fit that narrative. Even if you don't care about long term, anyone who has done the math has seen that lower depreciation more than makes up for that mpg deficit. I expect the Tundra will stick with a V8 for now.

Seems like Honda and VW are going to turbos in their cars. (If I could get a Honda engine in a Subaru chassis, with VW styling... :D)

Will interesting to see how well the Ecoboost fairs after it gets some age and high miles on them.

Clutch

<---Pass

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, probably right. 1/2 ton market CC 5' bed is the most popular here. Yet the 3/4-1 ton crowd it is the CC 6'+, CCLB's are a bit rarer....at least in this neck of the woods.

CM6.5 does look awfully good though.
Personally if I was going to have a crew cab truck with a 6' + box, I'd just go 3/4 ton.

Clutch

<---Pass
Personally if I was going to have a crew cab truck with a 6' + box, I'd just go 3/4 ton.

Yeah, probably the same here.

There was a new F250 CCSB sitting beside my 1st gen Tacoma yesterday at work, man...did it dwarf it. Bone stock suspension, sat up awfully high, be a chore to just get in and out of that thing. More I look at fullsizes, the more I like my mini-ish truck. Saw a super cherry mid-90's Toyota pickup running to the post office today...why can't they start building those again?

rruff

Explorer
I've got a '86 extra cab 2wd. The top is about the same height as the Tundra's hood! I'm 6' and climbing in the cab of the Tundra is an obvious effort, and the tall hood makes it hard to see what's in front. The dysfunctional "style" BS has gotten out of hand. But they are all doing it, so I don't expect that to improve. The T100 profile was sensible for a big truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94