Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

CamFromCI

Very interesting. I wonder if the pressure changes had something to do with it... I'm not involved with the design / manufacturing though so I'll forward this back on to the team to see what they think. Thanks for the extra info Kerensky!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Remember back when these were so difficult to find?

Now they don't even have room for them on the shelves.....

Hr64kAoRq4liK8RYw9Wt7mkuX8CyVaLF6ajJ6S8DFTwMxwX-usoA7L4PUndcD-yhqqnTIK9NtwM4zfpGs5ZnKeQcCgm7t9Sn5hdGOIrglZwSHU2fCgypn7zOU7wIYbc2YLbyLdkHSB7TY7jQj2VhwC2KTUZ0cYMfkDS3IrJlndA-E7dlyL8FfmFT74QkAa8nlbxHdSfRFd9VFkfBjM60HR27-wy2XdUAmiF-lcucEAU8as7X0wvA4TjiasYm5wauSfinI6-q2TymZVJWELP5BSg8eaBurpcNEhalu_1iaSOhqo-06vschmVAPsarz2DaZ3A3KqrPibgwuOCWX8bJgb-egkZJxgsxflynczWnzUaPB-TGe8s6pWquqgFJJqu6tX8ucBujyzq2YVDoKrvrj1u4_CTFiI3GJfMSUR-ElmN6a7fBly0cLOWVpUoSGFdnJ-syhdmAv6khLeVtm9JNSPhM2H-G-biYxC7MSbgAXKvS3-cSCUV9jMMs9Jp_LZIzcprjPdu9hQ7Ek_wN08hwMawHw54mbBhtlDIoDWPzGQPF5Jr2OtLzocUF9BRHBtKbOL3iat6HGtyrBOoT68kkhBWppCLK68K41ZetUAcWOSGs-gSdezV0NmBp=w1182-h886-no

crumplerJeep

I ended up buying my second Ozark roto, size 52 this time. Also gets a lot of condensation around the drain plug. I don't like that. But I can live with it.
The 52 takes up almost the same space as my Yeti 45. Yeti out performs it, no questions asked.... but the 52 only cost $150

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Remember back when these were so difficult to find? Now they don't even have room for them on the shelves.....

Agree!! It was so bad previously that scalpers would buy them at Wally's and then put them up for sale on Craigslist with a huge markup.

fjmario

Adventurer
Returned the first one I bought because of tiny holes I found along the molding seam
Ive had the 2nd one for a few weeks now but never got to use it.... used it this past weekend and the plug leaked all day, never stopped.

As much as I wanted to like this cooler, Ill be returning this 2nd one, getting my money back, and spending more on more reliable brand.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Today I was at the local wally world and noticed they now have a smaller soft-sided cooler as well as a lunch sized bag as well.

MOguy

Explorer
Today I was at the local wally world and noticed they now have a smaller soft-sided cooler as well as a lunch sized bag as well.

I was in Wal-Mart earlier this week and say these also. The zippers were crappy and so was the stitching. People really liked the mugs and the coolers that this article references but there are also other Ozark trail items that aren't as wonderful.

Some of the later posts here speak of problems and lack of performance of the yeti knock off coolers. I well bet that Wal-Mart will or already has (as they have in the past) demand their supplier of the yeti type coolers to sell them to Wal-Mart at a lower cost. The supplier will then be forced to lower their quality if they want to maintain their profits.

jdayment

Observer
For the people that are having problems with the coolers why havent you reached out to Cam who is active on here and has remedied many of the issues other users have had when it came to shortcomings or failures in the coolers?

rdcolorado

Observer
Cam, looks like my cooler is starting to warp on the inside. A couple of pics where you can see the inside walls bowing out. Not as bad as the other one posted but definitely starting to bow. I compared to new ones too and they are totally flat on the walls. Would this be covered under warranty?
97d461261e28bc343ebf77abe7e1d0fa.jpg
54513a59569eb281208c2534b1675ef7.jpg
75349d8bc241b6328c9a07b16de86cb4.jpg
c270f4a84f9325f988f4e2eab36240de.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey, I just got a 52qt for my Birthday on Aug 3rd. Used it the first time, and HOLY CRAP the condensation around the drain plug is bad. Use it inside and it would be a major problem(carpet or hardwood floors)! The condensation is so bad it makes you think there is a leak, but there's not. Condensation = loss of temperature/lack of retention. Internal temperature is escaping at a dramatic rate to have THAT much condensation.

Cam, is there a fix for this issue in the near future from California Innovations? This is probably the biggest problem I see with the Ice Chests. Other than that they are great.

CamFromCI

@rdcolorado, thanks for sharing your pics. We've been chatting through PM / email to get you sorted with a replacement, but I just wanted to address it here as well so others with similar issues can see. In general we have found in performance testing that delamination like this doesn't effect the performance of the cooler, so if you are ok with the appearance, your cooler will still work fine.

That being said, in the event of internal delamination, like the delam in some of the photos in this thread, we can understand that this would affect your ability to properly pack the cooler and it can be an eye-sore, or if you have a new cooler and this happens we understand that you wouldn't be happy with your cooler. As a company it is very important to us that our customers have positive experiences with our products, so if you do experience delam and would like a new cooler, send us a message with some photos and we can get the replacement process started.

@SouthernFisherman, given that you are here on this forum I'm sure you know the science already, but I just feel I should reiterate so others can understand how it happens a little better. Sometimes condensation happens due to a difference in temperature between the inside of the cooler and the warm humid air outside. If the inside of your cooler is nice and cold, this will make the surface of your drain cold. Since our drains are quite large and solid plastic (dual drains, one large drain and one small with a hose attachment), there's a lot of surface area that gets quite cold. If the outside air is warm and humid when it comes in contact with the cold surface of the drain condensation can occur.

That being said, I know you mentioned that you got your cooler August 3rd, but I'd still like to send you another drain to try incase that helps. If you could PM me your address I'll have one sent out. I'll also ask the product design team if they have any tips to reduce condensation and post back here.

rdcolorado

Observer
Cam, thanks for the response! I received an email from your support team and will be working with them. Hopefully I can find the receipt! For the purchase.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94