OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

OVRLND Campers

While I would agree that the website could use a little refresh, I completely agree with Aaaslayer’s comments on working with Jay and Maggie. They have been tremendously responsive to me in the process and since with my questions and advice. Great example: my thermal pack was two inches too wide in the front too fasten correctly to the side wall. They got it revised within two weeks of sending the front piece back and PERSONALLY delivered it to us in Phoenix, taking time out of a personal outing to do so. As Aaaslayer said — top notch.

Communication with them is top notch, Maggie was on top of it and extremely helpful, but she just had a baby so that could explain why you're not getting fast responses. Try calling early morning instead of email right before they get to working and you'll likely be able to get someone on the line. Their builds are top notch and customer service is top notch.

Thanks @dstefan and @aaaslayer for the kind words! Maggie, the guys in the shop, and myself constantly strive to have the best communication/quality we can. We've had people order and know exactly what they want, almost needing nothing from us, and we've had people that ask tons of questions who want to get their camper extremely dialed. Since we build every camper one off, there will always be a feature that isn't advertised, though we strive to communicate and answer any and all questions.

Glad you had a better experience than me. Been dealing with this over 6 months now, it was that way from the beginning til now. Emails take 4+ days for them to answer, this was during the first month, last month and these last few weeks - ie the whole time. These last few weeks don't count in my book because of the baby, but my experience with them and communication have been difficult. Spending nearly 15k on something and waiting 4-5 days for a reply to my email, calling 3-4 times a day and not being able to reach Jay or anyone really. It's crazy I even kept my order but I didn't want to be put on a waitlist for something else.

I know these things are built for specific trucks, but it's not as complicated or custom as you make it. It's easy enough to get measurements for the most popular trucks available, such as Tacomas, Tundras, etc. Your powerwagon I understand will prob need to be dealt through email, but most of their business is for Long Bed Tacomas. At least have a chart with dimensions for that on the website.

I'm not hating on Ovrlnd, I spent around 15k on one, I'm just stating my experience.

Unfortunately @armoured doesn't feel that Maggie, my team, and I have adequately communicated our process, design, and features. We have spent several hours answering emails in a 55+ email thread answering any and all questions, chatted on the phone with them, and answered their questions in person during a shop tour, only to have our customer service originally described as "laughable" and now described as "difficult." These words hurt as they are based on one missed email and missing a few calls to which they didn't leave a voicemail. All I can say is that if you're a customer or are thinking about becoming one, I LOVE calls, and my wife, Maggie oddly enough LOVES emails. Sometimes we miss getting back to one as we are only human, but feel free to message us again as we do take pride in our work, crafting what we think are some of the best camper shells on the market!

Jay, Maggie, and the OVRLND crew

Last edited:

dstefan

Jay and Maggie — Congratulations on the new baby! You must be excited (and tired)! Marti and I are both really happy for you guys.

Are you busy trying to think of names without vowels to match up with Ovrlnd ;)???

OVRLND Campers

Sorry about all the questions ;) but thanks for taking the time to answer all of them and showing us around the shop a few weeks ago. We are excited to get our Ovrlnd Camper

@crismateski anytime!

Jay and Maggie — Congratulations on the new baby! You must be excited (and tired)! Marti and I are both really happy for you guys.

Are you busy trying to think of names without vowels to match up with Ovrlnd ;)???

@dstefan Thanks! We're stoked for sure! Im holding out till the age of 3 to teach him how to handle a TIG torch! His name is Rigby, so RGBY for short which now that Ive typed it out is super colorful (red, blue, green and yellow)! If he decides to be a bad a$s later in life he might go by Rigs, but his coolness is yet to be determined.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'll 3rd that I have also had a great experience with ovrlnd's communication. If anything, I've been the slow responder. Way better than any other company I've worked with. I really appreciate that they took the leap to produce these campers and I'm super stoked about acquiring mine in the near future!

Last edited:

dstefan

@dstefan Thanks! We're stoked for sure! Im holding out till the age of 3 to teach him how to handle a TIG torch! His name is Rigby, so RGBY for short which now that Ive typed it out is super colorful (red, blue, green and yellow)! If he decides to be a bad a$s later in life he might go by Rigs, but his coolness is yet to be determined.

TIG welding at 3, a name with no vowels and growing up at OVRLND, how could he not be cool!

ns7i

I'll add to the chorus, @OVRLND Campers has been extremely communicative with me during the build process. It's been a breath of fresh air after dealing with another truck camper company that wouldn't respond for months on end.

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Not sure how I missed this thread. Lots of good info. Here is my truck build, gets into the camper about page 4, but I haven't put too much of the camper build up yet, too much fun getting out using it and working over time to pay for all the gas.

I can second Ovrlnds great communication and customer service.

dstefan

Not sure how I missed this thread. Lots of good info. Here is my truck build, gets into the camper about page 4, but I haven't put too much of the camper build up yet, too much fun getting out using it and working over time to pay for all the gas.

I can second Ovrlnds great communication and customer service.

Cruised through your build thread. Really like what you’re doing! This is the first one I’ve come across with the full barn doors. When you get a chance, I’d be really interested to see some more pictures of how those full barn doors fit and are sealed. Sometimes I think about getting the bottoms added. Do you miss the tailgate?

Also, how you’re fitting the Propex. Is that floor or wall mounted?

Glad to see another Ovrlndr here!

sideburns

Cruised through your build thread. Really like what you’re doing! This is the first one I’ve come across with the full barn doors. When you get a chance, I’d be really interested to see some more pictures of how those full barn doors fit and are sealed. Sometimes I think about getting the bottoms added. Do you miss the tailgate?

Thanks!

I'll get some photos of the doors tomorrow. I don't miss the tailgate at all, my last truck had a fiberglass canopy and closing the tailgate behind me was a pain that I don't miss. It's also very nice being able to use the bumper as a step into the back, I'd need a stool if I still had a tailgate. I also saved quite a bit of weight, I think it was probably about 30-40lbs difference. The dust sealing on the doors is pretty good, just 3/8" bulb seal all around the door sealing the 1/4" gap, much better and easier than sealing most tailgates. There are some small gaps because the doors are flat and the edge of the truck bed is not. I have gotten some dust in the rear with hundreds of miles of dirt road, but I get more dust/dirt from dirty shoes and gear. If I don't fully close the roof vent it can really suck in the dust though.

Propex is floor mounted on the passenger side in front of the wheel well(it'll be under a cabinet eventually), with the exhaust and intake pipes going through the floor. I'll get a photo tomorrow. It was 50/50 putting there vs getting a HS2211 and mounting it in a box on the outside where my propane tank is.
20211224_152125.jpg
I don't love drilling 41mm holes in my bed or having the exhaust and intake about 17" off the ground, but its more out of the way this way. No deep water fording for me now though, next lowest thing to watch out for is the alternator at about 22" anyway.

K9LTW

Very excited to find this thread and go through some of the various builds. Just put down a deposit on a unit last night that we'll get full barn doors on for my '21 Power Wagon! Incredibly stoked! That gives me seven-ish months to figure out the logistics of getting all the way out to AZ from VA...oof. We're a family of four (me, my wife, and two dogs) and initially were going to go with the recently released Alu-Cabins after seeing Tiny Rig's Power Wagon at Overland Expo East. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it just wasn't practical for inclement weather use for us. Cramming a 60-lb, and 70-lb dog as well as two adults in the bed of the truck would be a struggle to keep from killing one another. With the greater cab-over space and "always there" section of the bed with a more traditional pop up, the dogs can chill out while we have space "downstairs", or vice versa. One of the greatest draws for me to the Alu-Cabin, though, was a "real" door. All the other toppers out there still had me crawling on my knees over the tailgate, reaching over to open/close it...inevitably leading to one of us just dropping it. Enter OVRLND with the barn doors, and...problem solved! Plus it's lighter, which is critical with the PW's reduced GVWR.

I can't wait to start building it out...insulation being priority one. Some of y'all are insanely creative and talented! We pulled the trigger now, as opposed to later, so we can have some time with it to get the build where we hope to keep it in time for our trip next year to Wyoming where I'm hoping to use most/all of the WYBDR that just came out.

dstefan

Welcome! Thats gonna be a looooong install trip, but well worth it. Plenty of shakedown opportunities around Flagstaff once you get it. Then the fun begins!

K9LTW

Welcome! Thats gonna be a looooong install trip, but well worth it. Plenty of shakedown opportunities around Flagstaff once you get it. Then the fun begins!

I’ll be a pro at that drive as we’re taking three weeks to drive out and do the COBDR in July as well as visit friends in Denver (good excuse for a hot shower and laundry ). I’ll be working a ton of extra hours to make time for the AZ run. Would hate to just haul ass straight there and straight home. Guess I’ll just have to not have any time over the holidays to go to my in-laws’. Damn the luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sideburns

Here are some photos. Lower doors are attached by those three bolts into the rivnuts on the lower door.
20220207_181150.jpg20220207_181213.jpg20220207_110629.jpg
Propex mounted in my partially finished cabinet. The box in the upper left of that wiring mess is a DC thermal 50A heater I installed today, to preheat the camper and gear, so the propex doesn't run so hard to get everything up to temp.
20220207_150601.jpg20220207_140504.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles