Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
That trailer ball coupler just caught my eye... Whatever works.

I didn't mean exactly where you worked....More like is it a mom and pop place and/or what they specialize in?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ahhh, I see what you mean.

I work and have worked on anything from Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari, all the way to a Geo Metro. I appreciate simplicity and ease of maintenance in most vehicles. Personally, if money was no object, I would own a Porsche 911 Turbo. Since money is an object, I own a Jeep XJ that's fully capable of supporting 2 people in the middle of nowhere for what I estimate to be up to 7 days self-sustained. ;)

To answer your question, if it has 2 or 4 tires, it will likely frustrate and piss me off, but it will get fixed. ;)

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Just started looking into XJs and found your thread. Awesome setup. Scrolled through a fee of your IG pics, you dad works for CSX? Im a conductor down here in ATL.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Just started looking into XJs and found your thread. Awesome setup. Scrolled through a fee of your IG pics, you dad works for CSX? Im a conductor down here in ATL.

Thanks!

I think the pic on my Instagram that you're referring to is this one I took in downtown Richmond, VA a couple of weeks ago.

I captioned the pic "My Dad can beat up your Dad" as a bit of sarcasm. ;)

IMG_7092.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Dang, I finally got to read through this whole thread. Been following on instagram for awhile now, but I hadn't sat down and started reading til tonight. I love everything you've done, but Im not sure its going to work for me in my 2001. My setup isn't and probably won't be quite as dedicated, so thats ok. You have provided plenty of new ideas, as everyone else has said. Are you planning on adding any armor underneath besides the gas tank skid? Im running a homemade tank skid and factory tcase skid, and have a factory front skid Id like to get mounted up front after I get the front axle whipped into shape. Im @xjdonovan on Insta and am XJSuperman on CherokeeTalk.com. I think the armor on the underside, while heavy, can be a worthy tradeoff for the protection it provides for us guys on smaller tires like 31s.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Dang, I finally got to read through this whole thread. Been following on instagram for awhile now, but I hadn't sat down and started reading til tonight. I love everything you've done, but Im not sure its going to work for me in my 2001. My setup isn't and probably won't be quite as dedicated, so thats ok. You have provided plenty of new ideas, as everyone else has said. Are you planning on adding any armor underneath besides the gas tank skid? Im running a homemade tank skid and factory tcase skid, and have a factory front skid Id like to get mounted up front after I get the front axle whipped into shape. Im @xjdonovan on Insta and am XJSuperman on CherokeeTalk.com. I think the armor on the underside, while heavy, can be a worthy tradeoff for the protection it provides for us guys on smaller tires like 31s.

Hey Donovan! I have distant plans to likely do some aluminum skids to keep weight down as low as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and I hope I gave you some good ideas for your rig! I can honestly say that the best is still ahead for my rig. I've got some big plans for the latter half of this year! ;)

I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Great build, thank you for sharing.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
I've got a bit of tech info, some great pics and some exciting announcements coming before the end of the week!

We are only a little over a month into this year, and thanks to hard work, perseverance, some luck and being in the right place at the right time, I've got a few dreams coming true. Stay tuned! :)

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Standing by for updates then.

Yeah, Ive gotten a few ideas for my rig thanks to you. Its funny to me how you go all-in on things that aren't that high on my priority list. Like the shower. Its awesome, but I don't know if Ill put the effort into that so much as mechanicals and towing capability. Or versatility. There are so many directions my build can go that its hard to choose. OBA, power, and minor add-ons are all high on the list right now.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Running late on my updates, as I've been waiting for a few dates to fall into place. ;)

As I mentioned before, 2017 has been very good to me so far, so a few dreams of mine are coming true! :)

The XJ will be featured in the next issue of Tread Magazine! I'm excited, flattered, humbled and honored! :D The photoshoot is in a couple of weeks in or around Harper's Ferry, WV.

IMG_7976.JPG

Next, I will be joining Mountain State Overland on a 4 day, 400+ mile Expedition through Appalachia in late March. If you haven't met Jason and Gaby, they're salt-of-the-earth great guys! :) I'm just over a month out and I've got a massive list of things that the XJ needs before this trip! Tech updates are coming! :D

IMG_7977.JPG

Lastly, I've recently changed my Instagram handle to: @Overland_History and also purchased a website domain name. The future is unwritten there, but I've got big plans ahead for where it will go. (I don't want to get too far ahead of myself) ;)

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Kudos to you Adam. Being able and willing to share your adventures defiantly something I admire people doing. I look forward to your updates as 2017 gets rolling.

MSRT74

I wanted to say that reading your thread has given me a lot of ideas and helped me sort out a few direction issues with my own build. Congrats on being featured. Looking forward to seeing updates in 2017.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Adam, this is Stefan. I'm glad we could connect on Instagram this last weekend. Just throwing a note up here so I can subscribe to your thread for future reference during my own build. @atxcarguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94