Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

CJustin7

Adventurer
I love your build man. I'm definitely aiming for something along these lines. Eventually down the road, I'll probably take it higher to a 4.5" lift with LA's.... but I'm very pleased with the OME HD lift and tires at this time. Thanks for sharing. One thing I've found in here is the ARB Snorkel will work on the 4.7 HO ..... As their website says it will not work. Also, I'm a little jealous of the mountains you guys have up that way. Absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks again.

Lecoq

Explorer
I love your build man. I'm definitely aiming for something along these lines. Eventually down the road, I'll probably take it higher to a 4.5" lift with LA's.... but I'm very pleased with the OME HD lift and tires at this time. Thanks for sharing. One thing I've found in here is the ARB Snorkel will work on the 4.7 HO ..... As their website says it will not work. Also, I'm a little jealous of the mountains you guys have up that way. Absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks again.

Thanks.

There's 2 snorkels. The SS1140HF works for 4.0L and 4.7L non HO. The SS1145HF only works on the High output 4.7L. I think the only difference is in the airbox adapter. The body of the snorkel might be a little bigger but I have yet to compare it to a non HO version.

Lecoq

Explorer
It's been a while. I've been away most of the winter. Didn't have much time to do anything in terms of modifications or travel (did travel but by plane).

Got a new exhaust done yesterday. Had it made with a flange right beside the cross member so it's easily removable, Magnaflow muffler and a turn down tip after the muffler. It's tucked in as much as possible to avoid damage. Didn't get a chance to take a video or pictures on the hoist yet.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
I'm sure it sounds great with the magnaflow. I have a turndown spintech on my 5.2 ZJ and it is loud but get compliments on it all the time. The only downside of turn downs is the drone and motorboat effect you get, especially starting it in the garage. But I don't mind it. Love your build, I've been watching it for quite some time. Jealous of your MPG, I'm getting an average of 10.5-11 combined with my 33s. Havn't done a long highway trip yet but I'm sure its no more than 13 :(

Lecoq

Explorer
Thank you! I don't mind the exhaust so far. Still did not get a chance to take it on the highway. Working on getting an Addco rear sway bar and it's not going well. Apparently they've been backordered for quite some time now.

Lecoq

Explorer
It's been a while since I've updated this. Been lots going on in my life so far this year so the Jeep has been sitting in the garage. I bought a daily driver and considered selling the Jeep for a little while but after sitting in the garage and looking at it for a while I decided I was too far gone and it would be more fun to keep building it than starting over on another project.

After visiting the AEV booth at SEMA in November I was left drooling over the new Salta wheels. I had been patiently waiting for them to announce the release. As soon as they were available I snagged a set of 5.

Next on the list was some more "height". I didn't want it to be too high since it still gets lots of use. So after much research I opted for the Iron Rock Offroad 4.5 inch HD rear coils. Since nobody makes a longer HD springs than OME I ended up adding a 2 inch front spacer to even things out. I also addressed the handling by getting an Addco rear sway bar, IRO extended rear sway bar links that match the lift and JKS front disconnects. For tires, I decided to keep my dedicated winter tires on stock wheels for now and I wanted to try the Toyo Open country MT. I didn't want to go too big so I got some 265-70-17 which measure up to 32 inch exactly according to Toyo.

I'm very pleased with the way things turned out so far. I still have some work to do but it's getting there slowly.

Before the new setup:

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Oh yah now we're talking. Those wheels look great and so does the extra space in the wheel well 🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks guys.

Got around to installing the Addco rear sway bar today with the IRO extended links. Definitely a lot more stable. I might look into the front Addco at some point.

Lecoq

Explorer
Finally settled on a roof top tent. I've been looking into them for over a year and after much research on all the pros and cons of most tent on the market I purchased what I think is "The One". I'm excited to test it out when I receive it later this week.

After looking at all the CVT, Tepui, ARB, James Baroud, Autohome and Treeline it was a very confusing process to narrow it down to what was wanted and needed. I wanted something that could fit 2 adults and 2 kids. It doesn't have to be very large since most of the time it'll most likely be me and my 7 year old son sleeping in it but has to be large enough to accommodate the wife and daughter on the occasional trip. After trying my friend's Tepui Ayer last year, I knew that it would fit 2.5 of us ok but there was no way of squishing the 4 of us.

I was attracted to the high end AutoHome and James Baroud but the price tag is too hard for me to justify since we would only do a few trips a year.

The Other guys are for the most part all the same made in China cookie cutter but with different colors and options. Nothing wrong with that but they do ask for a premium on the larger tents and apart from the Tepui Ruggedized, I felt like most bigger tents were unstable and flimsy. The Tepui Ruggedized XL was on top of my list but the 220 lbs is a bit much for the roof of my Jeep. The price tag is also steep at $2800 CDN without shipping.

On Saturday my son and I ended up at the Gear Shop here in Calgary to look at a demo from the Echo 4X4. They had a very nice expedition trailer on display and the larger tent. I was very impressed with the quality of the tent, the materials and the design. The tent doesn't rely on the ladder to hold it up. It has a really neat cable system on the inside that can support 500 lbs. The ladder in recessed into the frame when folded so there is no "hump" in the cover. The frame is all welded steel square tube. The rain fly is also part of the tent fabric which makes it less noisy in windy conditions. Setup is simple and quick. The tent we decided on is 160 CM wide (63 inches), so it's not too big for the roof of the jeep. It weight in at around 150 lbs. The fabric is heavy duty D450 ripstop and it also has a condensation fabric lining the ceiling. And the best part is: It's not made in China!

Michael and Denise from Echo4x4 were really nice to talk to and answered every question I had. I'm looking forward to having the tent mounted to the jeep.

These pictures are of the demo tent they have used for the past 3 years.

Happy camper

I'll post more pictures when I actually get the tent and install it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior