Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
I would love one of the Cabrios but for me it would make it almost impossible to haul surfboards and camping gear. Not to mention the weather in Galicia, it rains more than in England I think. I did find a nice looking obvious repaint.

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=lhv2ecuoeeyi

Here is a link to the list of for sale trucks on this page.

http://www.autoscout24.eu/List.aspx...sults=20&ustate=N,U&um=True&sort=price&zipc=E

I have no idea why you would put a 3k winch on the front of that truck.

I spoke with the owner of the white '88 and it is in fact a 250GD, it was not able to be show since that model was not in the system. The guy had also owned it since '96 and it has been mainly a vacation house car just outside of Madrid. Supposedly all original also.

What would you expect for mpg? He is guessing around 10lt/100km or around 25mpg. Possible? Cruising speed? Normal on the highways here is around 130kph. I don't need speed, I just don't want to get run over by the ruck drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Thanks for the link Paul,

now this one would be a real nice G-wagen for you:

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=bhtdngnwmsbe

it's the real thing - I even wouldn't mind to have one like it. You might have to cut down on the Tapas & beer for a while, but the price seems to be fair.

Don't get a GD250, while accelerating you might hit the windshield with your head if not carefully enough:wings:

BeachBum

Observer
Amazing truck, but the sales tax alone would be almost the cost of the other truck. I'd rather pay cash for something then finance another. I also want a car I don't have to pay full comp insurance on. Even though I've been driving for almost 20 years they look at me as a new driver since I got my Spanish license. Just like being a 16 year old kid in their eyes.

A G 400 CDI would be the dream truck though.

It's really hard to find anything like these trucks be it a G, LC or Defender that has not been beaten to death.

A G 400 CDI would be the dream truck though.

Mercedes has their issues with some models. A G400 CDI is generally best avoided. It may look good on paper and have loads of power. But many people has experienced engine faliure with that.

270CDI is generally regarded as a solid engine, with only the odd case of wrecked engine from faulty injector.

The more power you take from a diesel engine, by adding turbocharging, having higher injection pressures and better spray pattern, your margin for error will be less.
When everything works, it's great. But when a injector is starting to wear and the spray pattern is altered. The temperature of the combustion is rising.
Same thing with lacking turbo pressure and engine management continues to deliver normal amount of fuel. There you will get overfueling and combustion temp will rise.
Having a pyrometer installed, would give the driver a warning that something is about to go wrong before the engine suffers expencive damage.

BeachBum

Observer
Thanks for the info Johnny. I do know my way around a diesel engine or two. My family in California owns an industrial engine distributorship specializing in ag. Cummins, Cat, John Deere, Vovlo and Duetz from 200hp to 2000hp including natural gas. I started tearing down Detroits before I could drive. Just wish I had access to a shop like that here in Spain. :ylsmoke:

Curious question, how do these older diesels cope with the ULS Diesel? Do you have to run special additives, mix in 2 stroke oil or the like? :coffeedrink:

Thanks again,

Paul

I have not heard of problems with the old diesels running todays fuel. Most of the old type diesel engines will run on almost anything that burns.
As such they are used for veggie conversions etc.

The other way around, there seems to be problems with Mercedes CDI engines getting low fuel quality in Afghanistan and other remote places. There are rumors that the german army have put an order for more diesel Geländewagen's on hold, until they have a better track record.

In the developed world this is a non-issue with sufficient quality fuel at every gas station. But if planning to go to places with limited infrastructure, it needs to be taken into account.

Scott Brady

Founder
With the Land Rover Discovery essentially finished, my attention is shifting the G. The first order was to replace the 15 year old winch on the front, which had major coating failure and significant corrosion.

I decided to try something different, and ordered a 9,000 Lb. Pierce Arrow winch. I have always been a diehard Warn guy, but several users had assured me the quality was good. And if I only use a single brand every time, we don't get a chance to try something new.

Pierce_Winch_18.jpg

I tore everything apart (almost), and found that the solenoid pack is an Albright-style with HD connectors. One of the better solenoid packs I have seen. I have had far too many of the automotive starter solenoid style fail.

The lever engages with a positive feel
Pierce_Winch_17.jpg

The coating looks good and uniform in application. Time will tell if it handles the sun and elements well. The winch will get a synthetic line soon.
Pierce_Winch_15.jpg

Pierce_Winch_16.jpg

The fairlead is black powdercoated. A nice touch. Quality seems good on initial inspection too.
Pierce_Winch_14.jpg

Pierce_Winch_13.jpg

The kit even includes a pulley block with a greaseable bushing.
Pierce_Winch_12.jpg

The controller seems to be a good quality, with larger contacts then typical
Pierce_Winch_9.jpg

Pierce_Winch_8.jpg

Hook on the end of the controller. That is new
Pierce_Winch_7.jpg

I was particularly impressed by the quality and detail in the solenoid controller. The unit is sealed and uses heavy connectors and excellent wire routing and insulation. A good start.
Pierce_Winch_6.jpg

Good connections on the controller side too
Pierce_Winch_5.jpg

Bomber
Pierce_Winch_4.jpg

Pierce_Winch_3.jpg

Mounted on the G in the Europa bumper.
Pierce_Winch_2.jpg

Not bad. Now just some synthetic line. . .
Pierce_Winch_1.jpg

This is certainly not an endorsement of the product yet, just an initial inspection. We are doing some heavy training with a specialized team in the next few weeks that will tax the hell out of this thing - I will report on the results.

zimm

Expedition Leader
im convinced one of the best weight savers is poly winch line. im not saying dont hang a winch off the front, or use a strong brush guard, i just think its a great place to cut weight.

that having been said, if george ever returns my truck, im thinking of going with a light 6000lb winch and poly line. the old belview on my fj40 has done a fine job and its only a 6000 lb rate. im gonna rely more on a snatch block if i find issues.

ill be looking at 60-70lbs vs 120+. i think thats worth it to the steering components. hell, thats a battery!.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the M8000 for that. Marginally heavier than the M6000 and still less than 50lbs with a synth line and aluminum hawse fairlead.

I will be switching out to synthetic on the G soon. Will abuse it for a few days in the desert on steel cable, and then put on the long-term line.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I have an M6000 from the old Suzuki and I have an M8000 on the Cherokee. Not a lot of difference between them as far as weight goes. The M series winches aren't very blingy though. :)

I gotta do synth. All my stuff still has steel cable. Next winch I buy I'm going to get "naked" so I'm forced to get synth even if it is a touch more expensive doing it that way.

I've been looking at the Pierce and Titan winches. Not close to decision time though. Pierce appears to make good stuff and they've been around forever so I don't think there is any risk buying their gear.

zimm

Expedition Leader
not to take it too far off topic, but master pull has sales every once in a while. last time i used the money saved on the synth line to buy a nice yanker.

Scott Brady

Founder
We beat the hell out of it for three days and no failures. It is also surprisingly quiet. I am impressed so far.

The challenge is that I cannot predict long-term reliability yet, as it is such a new product. I will report more details soon.

Thor

Observer
Scott

Is that winch mount added on to the stock G bumper?

My new 1980 280GE is looking for a winch mount/winch!

Yep, I did the deal.

Sold the RR for the G! Just for a new experience.

Thinking 235/85r16 for the G, works on Discos right? Hahaha!

Scott Brady

Founder
Great buy!

The winch bumper is from Europa. It was an option on the NA spec trucks.

A new bumper for the G is coming. We will announce it here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles