Overland Hammock Camping

VATACO

Adventurer
While I can appreciate the need for a RTT or large ground shelter for those who camp in large groups or have families, for the overlanding bachelor I find a hammock to be the perfect low bulk solution to a sleep system. I have been an avid hiker for a long time, and over the past few years have been turned on to these types of hammocks by friends of mine. While not my first choice for backpacking, I have found a hammock with a built in bug net and a silnylon tarp to keep me dry and up off the ground.

Here's a few pictures of the hammock suspended from my baja rack and a tree around my driveway. My tarp using a ridgeline that it hangs from and then stakes out to the ground using tent pegs. Whole system weighs less than 2 pounds and can be set up and taken down in less than 3 minutes.

P8260026.jpg
P8260025.jpg
P8260027.jpg

Last edited:

crismateski

American Adventurist
I love my blackbird. Don't have a great shot of it though. Starting to snow in Big Bear Ca

file-6.jpg

cruisertoy

Explorer
I use my Hennesy Hammock every time I don't have the family with me. Most of the time I sleep better in the hammock than I do at home. I've even done some winter stuff with it. With a sleeping pad below me I've been very comfortable in cold weather. I just pull the rainfly down a little tighter against the netting to keep some of hte heat in.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My son has adopted my Henessy and uses it on most of our trips.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I enjoy the hammock life. Currently I use the ENO system and I like the modular design of it. When the time (and money) comes I think I will step up to the Clark jungle hammock line. All I need is a tree and I can hang from the roll bar of the jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I have & love my hennessy expedition asym with the super shelter system (4 season insulation~ Right)
I am disabled with a back injury & its the only way I can camp
here's my winter hammock camping photo to share
WinterHHASYM.jpg

& here I am relaxing in one of my DIY hammocks at the car show lst month
DSC_0913.jpg

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I recently picked up an older Hennessy for Motorcycle camping. I can't wait to try it out.

brianwj

Observer
My wife bought me an ENO for my birthday this year and it so comfortable. I haven't done a full overnight in it yet but I'm looking forward to it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346170196.206624.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have a hennessey hammock, for solo trips its my go to 'tent' snakeskins and the hex fly

its in this pic somewhere- amazon river back probably 8 years ago, it goes on every back pack trip with me, even use inside some dodgier rooms I've stayed in

most cheap hotels in central and latin america have hammock hooks in the rooms, once you see the mattress you'll know why !

DSC_0091-1.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Yeah when I lived in Honduras hammocks were popular bring your bed with you option :)

When I lived in Micronesia a local guest bed gave me scabies :) should have brought my hammock :)

Hoagie27

Jack of all Trades
I agree whole hardheartedly. As much as I like RTTs i just don't think the cost of it is very feasible for being a "bachelor overlander" I'm running a Eagle Nest Outfitters hammock. Love it!

316982_2588160221976_2076028236_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior