Overkill Campers

BennyGoodman

This follows the very unfortunate and frustrating pattern of Overkill: make grand statements; give scant details; and request large, early deposits. Classic model of over-promise and under-perform. These guys have taken a lot of money from wide-eyed customers, only to waste it on their own inefficiencies, incompetence, and dishonesty. Buyer beware!

INFAMOUS1

I have been fighting with Overkill for 2 years of lies to replace my completely defective trailer. My trailer completely fills with water and is soaked after a night out in the rain, it destroyed all my electronics in the trailer. They have repeatedly told me they need to replace my unit but have been giving me nothing but excuses for the last two years.

They are completely ignoring any messages or texts that I have sent them for the last two months. David Poe has disappeared and can’t be located by my paper server who is trying to serve him legal correspondence. I have spoke with more than five people who are in this exact boat right now. The latest scam is them making a new company and asking for deposits again.
I was at Overkill in January when they were supposed to be updating my trailer and fixing the leaks and told my new one was ready. They did do work on it but it came out leaking worse then when it went in, they removed all my switches from the back and put them on a cheap Amazon switch controller inside with substandard electronics after removing my whole Red Arc system, they moved my solar input drilled a hole in my roof and now it is leaking there also . The same five or six trailers had been sitting there for about six months in all states of construction because they have no money to complete them.
Now I have filed a complaint with the Oregon department of justice as well as suing them. I tried to work it out numerous times and they just went dark and refused to respond so we will do it the hard way. I can only assume they are going to go bankrupt as they already formed a new company. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY MONEY…
This is the short version of this Hell, you can see my leaking trailer on my instagram wildernessrecon

Arclight

SAR guy
This seems to follow the pattern:

1. Person who is creative and skilled makes a really nice camper for themselves.
2. Their friends want one, so they build a couple more in their spare time.
3. They decide to quit their day job and do this full time.
4. After taking a bunch of deposits, they discover it's not possible to hire more people at their skill level easily.
5. They realize they need to standardize the build process and stop using one-off parts and friend labor. A lot of the stuff they need to build these has long lead times and big minimum order sizes and all of that deposit money gets burned up fast.
6. They get behind, and then get over-extended financially and everything falls apart.

I think the problem with building a first-class expedition camper is that all of the details take a lot of time to design and execute well. The labor pool who can do this is small and mostly consists of people who already have a good job. How do you go about hiring someone who is good at Aluminum welding, fiberglass, 12V wiring, 3D CAD and finish carpentry? Maybe a boat maker would be able to pull this off, but they probably want to work on bigger projects.

And a lot of the materials are not easy to get at HD Supply or Grainger. This whole enterprise isn't like construction, where you can just make some calls and have people and vendors lined up to do whatever you want within reason. It's weird, niche work and it's hard to get paid enough to make it worhwhile.

Last edited:

Bluntforce

I received this email today:

As detailed in our previous correspondence, OverKill has made a strategic business decision to merge. We weighed many options and vetted several investors in the past eighteen months, until we were approached by Xtreme Outdoors, a well established east coast company with over 20 years of camper manufacturing experience. Their production team and facility will allow continued manufacturing of OverKill Camper models. The core team members of OverKill have relocated to Pennsylvania to set up a new line producing S.O.510’s with the same construction methods used in Bend.

Our decision to merge was based upon numerous factors including growth challenges experienced over the past couple years. We are a small company and have been subjected to unique challenges inherent to our scale. Through the resources acquired from this merger we aim to provide benefits from increased productivity, decreased lead times, expanded service network and sustainability for our brand.

This merger's transition period may cause additional delays with delivery for existing clients. Although we are striving to fulfill your camper order as quickly as possible, transitions of this nature take time. We are looking forward to this new adventure for Overkill Campers, and we thank you for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
OverKill Campers
Adventure Series RV

BuckinghamBuilt

So Adventure Series RV in Somerset, PA. Can't find this company on the interweb. Little Guy trailers (extreme outdoors llc) I in Somerset. Aliner Campers is near Somerset.

Maybe it's a newly formed company. They way the post is worded it sounds like it's a company that has a big production plant. Can't help but wonder if this company has a mass produced Elkhart type production line with labor s that are not trained to build off road trailer. I hope not for those waiting for overkill rigs. Wish they would be more clear to who this big production company is. You know like " Formally....RV

I would not order one without more clarification

I only found that company (which registered this month) listed in Ohio. I agree, I would not place a deposit without my clarification or knowledge of this partnership.

INFAMOUS1

I only found that company (which registered this month) listed in Ohio. I agree, I would not place a deposit without my clarification or knowledge of this partnership.

You know it is a matter of time before they crap out on everyone who purchased under the Overkill conpany. Why make a whole new company? Only one reason I know of, they will Bankrupt on everyone. Probably why Brandon refuses to talk about anything promised from Overkill.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
This seems to follow the pattern:

1. Person who is creative and skilled makes a really nice camper for themselves.
2. Their friends want one, so they build a couple more in their spare time.
3. They decide to quit their day job and do this full time.
4. After taking a bunch of deposits, they discover it's not possible to hire more people at their skill level easily.
5. They realize they need to standardize the build process and stop using one-off parts and friend labor. A lot of the stuff they need to build these has long lead times and big minimum order sizes and all of that deposit money gets burned up fast.
6. They get behind, and then get over-extended financially and everything falls apart.

I think the problem with building a first-class expedition camper is that all of the details take a lot of time to design and execute well. The labor pool who can do this is small and mostly consists of people who already have a good job. How do you go about hiring someone who is good at Aluminum welding, fiberglass, 12V wiring, 3D CAD and finish carpentry? Maybe a boat maker would be able to pull this off, but they probably want to work on bigger projects.

And a lot of the materials are not easy to get at HD Supply or Grainger. This whole enterprise isn't like construction, where you can just make some calls and have people and vendors lined up to do whatever you want within reason. It's weird, niche work and it's hard to get paid enough to make it worhwhile.

It isn’t just campers. Many skilled craft people find themselves in this predicament. Unfortunately, they are in an echo chamber of friends and relatives when showing off the first couple of units and nobody ever tells them that they lack the experience, intelligence, and ruthlessness required to start a business. Hobbies seem fun, until they become work!

DirtElk

They will likely bankrupt Overkill and dump their losses. Their experience in manufacturing has always been suspect when they can't churn out product because they are constantly changing design as supposed improvements. They never produced a product consistently enough to improve upon. I.e. Move to a diesel heater because Winnebago uses it and it is so much better, only to find it can't keep the trailer warm.

Some of us were able to get out with threats of legal action. Others had to pursue legal action with varying success. Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely to be successful for anyone trying to get positive results from anything under the Overkill name at this point. I've always felt the trailer under current production was being funded by individuals several spots downstream in the queue.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Little Guy Trailers. Why not just say that from the get go. Decent rigs but not off road and lots of wood. I consider one but it had some mass produced Elkhart type aspects but was priced a lot less the craft off road rigs. I am sure they are capable of building the Overkill model.

Question is will they step up on warrantys and issues refunds if folks want out.

The new WeeRoll owner did this and did it right.

DirtElk

Little Guy Trailers. Why not just say that from the get go. Decent rigs but not off road and lots of wood. I consider one but it had some mass produced Elkhart type aspects but was priced a lot less the craft off road rigs. I am sure they are capable of building the Overkill model.

Question is will they step up on warrantys and issues refunds if folks want out.

The new WeeRoll owner did this and did it right.

Exactly, why not be upfront and communicate with customers?

Instead, they start making social media posts showing a trailer from 4 years ago and delete any comments from customers posting they have left messages, sent emails, etc. all receiving no response. Perhaps they survive and this trailer succeeds under new guidance, but they have attempted consultants in the past that obviously haven't worked. Based on the feedback in the FB group, doesn't appear there is much effort to step up for anything. Always an excuse or a give me two more weeks.

I sure hope those currently caught in the middle come out on the right side of all this and it's up to the community to warn others about experiences, especially with the blatant attempts to hide any comments regarding faulty products or lack of communication/service. My two cents to anyone considering one from personal experience, and watching others with the same, is to walk away and find something else.

BuckinghamBuilt

Might interest some folks. Playing with Sticks did a quick walkthrough of the 5x10 Overkill camper and at the end he mentioned pissed off customers that have deposits and Overkill's response.

INFAMOUS1

Might interest some folks. Playing with Sticks did a quick walkthrough of the 5x10 Overkill camper and at the end he mentioned pissed off customers that have deposits and Overkill's response.

Yeah there were tons of comments I have a bunch of screenshots and he has been a erasing them. Overkill paid him to do that and he is in their pocket. They are trying to scam people out of more deposits

Attachments

• B51C3B0A-3EE3-465F-8E16-1B10D3EE98ED.jpeg
    B51C3B0A-3EE3-465F-8E16-1B10D3EE98ED.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 87
  • D71549F3-9CEB-4337-8149-4C4D7681F85E.jpeg
    D71549F3-9CEB-4337-8149-4C4D7681F85E.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 43DEFDAF-C145-43AE-977F-651C92415B1C.jpeg
    43DEFDAF-C145-43AE-977F-651C92415B1C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 101BCC18-A23A-45A9-848C-5AA352EED288.jpeg
    101BCC18-A23A-45A9-848C-5AA352EED288.jpeg