OUT WITH THE OLD...

MTVR

Are motorcycles like that legal in Canada? They're not legal here in the U.S.

And shouldn't this motorcycle thread be in the motorcycle section?

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
It's a motorized bicycle and yes it is. If it has brakes fore and aft, under a certain power and speed. Thank you for your opinion of where it should be but it's still a bicycle

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Yes, but I've built it for cruising the KV railway trails up here in Canadaland. So theres no real issue,slow down to pass footborne ppl . Dont be harassing the cows etc .

MTVR

USA _ I think at or under 49 ccs and you're golden. obey traffic rules of course.

There's a little more to it than that.

Most state laws define bicycles as being powered solely by human power. If it has any kind of motor or engine on it, even if it's not running, it's no longer a bicycle.

The word "moped" means "MOtor and PEDals". Mopeds are defined by most states as having no more than 50cc AND no more than two horsepower AND a top speed of no more than 30 mph on flat ground.

But his has more than 50cc, so it's not a moped either. It's a motorcycle. And in most states, you need motorcycle drivers license, motorcycle insurance, license plate, registration, and all of the DOT-legal road equipment that any other motorcycle is required to have- low and high beam headlights, blue high beam indicator, speedometer, odometer, horn, tail light, brake light, license plate light, muffler, front and rear turn signals, DOT-approved tires, fenders, and so on.

The big ones are no motorcycle insurance and no motorcycle driver's license- operating a motorcycle like the OP's on a public road with no motorcycle endorsement, even if you have a valid car driver's license, is driving without a valid license, and is an arrestable criminal offense everywhere I've ever lived or worked as a cop. No insurance company is gonna issue insurance on something like that, and no motorcycle insurance will get you a court date at the least, and is an arrestable offense in some jurisdictions.

I have significant professional experience in this area- when I post something, it's not just to take up space on the internet. Either way, this is like "the information buffet"- the reader is free to benefit from my wise counsel, and he is also free to disregard it at his peril...

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I have stated and I think you missed it I LIVE IN CANADA. We have different laws here. I have been over to the RCMP and the ICBC ( insurance company that's run by the province) with it , and I have statements from them that I am good to go. You may know about your American laws, but I am a Cdn and have do have a valid motorcycle licence qualification along with a few others. Thank you for your opinion , perhaps you should take your advice and do some more research into the issue where I live and use this. How many cc is it, how fast it goes and how many horsepower it has is a question for you. Unless you can do a displacement test without cracking any bolts loose ( how many cc is it) and bhp dyno test. I top out at 32 KMH by gps and speedometer have brakes lights as req for daylight running. By canada law it's a bicycle, I apologize if you feel sad your opinion is noted but filed in the IDFC pile.

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
The top speed of your motorcycle is 32kph? The top speed of my bicycle is higher than that, and I'm a disabled AARP retiree...
Yes I'm a disabled vet, I built this for tooling along a multi use trail at minimal cost and effort
I could use my 50cc scooter and it would be a better ride but not as epic

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I'll try as long as, it who shall remain nameless remains in "it's "lanes. I have no need to defend Canadian laws from a US LEO that tries to attack me with it's laws. I have posted my thread here, and "it "comes out and starts saying I've broken laws x,y, and Z . I don't do that yet it decides "it" has to start telling me I must be wrong. I'm not in the US and not a tweaker nor have any warrants for my arrest ,yet it feels I could be merely because of this BICYCYLE. I'm no longer in the military after 27 yrs, have a bad attitude, and try to have as much fun as I can.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
"I cleaned up this thread a bit. @MTVR - please let Jim enjoy his toy - illegal or not"

Last time in CANADA IT'S NOT ILLEGAL, I haven't used it on any public roads just multi use pathways. If someone thinks that I have something illegal, I invite them to post on another thread, and leave mine alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste