Our "new" Tiger...

ThomD

Explorer
A nice couple known to many on the Portal came and picked up the Tiger today.

Thanks to everyone who followed along with this thread and offered helpful advice and ideas. I was a bit surprised by the number of responses I got from interested parties both offline and in person when I hinted that we might sell the Tiger. Apparently, after >50,000 views, this thread has helped create a lot of fans of these great little campers.

We wish the new owners many happy adventures!

I was sad to miss out on this, but happy that the new owners will be around to keep us posted on the adventures.

This thread has become the definitive "how to refresh your Tiger" thread, so I hope you kept a parts lists of all the upgrades.

suntinez

Explorer
:jumping::jumping::jumping:

Can't wait to see what's next for you - what could beat a Tiger? You did such a nice job restoring it and thanks for the many ideas you shared.

And can't wait to see what Heidi & Josh will do with it, those two do not sit still with their rigs. :sombrero:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Gavin, anytime man! I think we have to wait for Linda to heal up though before her Tiger is back on the prowl.

We made it home tonight from Huntington Beach and the Tiger performed great. Its the largest vehicle either of us have ever driven so it took a little getting used to. After we got the hang of it we had a lot of fun!

We've got lots of projects on the list, I'm debating continuing in this thread or starting a new transition of our own. Either way, stay tuned!!

ExpoMike

Its the largest vehicle either of us have ever driven so it took a little getting used to.

Man, you guys don't get out much, do ya! :elkgrin:

Congrats on the new Tiger. Sad to hear it leaving SoCal but glad to know it made it into good hands.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
It's funny because it's actually not much longer than our FJ but it feels huge because of the height. Takes some getting use to and you can't be in a hurry. =)

Photog

Explorer
........., I'm debating continuing in this thread or starting a new transition of our own. Either way, stay tuned!!

Definitely keep it in this thread. All the info about this rig will be in one place. :victory:

Congrats on the new Tiger. :)

Last edited:

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Hopefully we can start posting some of the things we're doing to it and where we'll be going soon. I know my better half is hard at work putting some of that together. We've had some hiccups but once we get all that figured out we'll probably be posting more. We did get it lifted slightly, so expect more details of that as well.

gmg_co

tiger XL

you ready to sell your Tiger? I'm looking for a XL AWD like yours........
thanks, gary in colorado

It all started at the Expo M&G on Fiesta Island. There were lots of cool rigs full of Expo bling to drool over but I found myself drawn to a funny little Astro van owned by Suntinez. It was like a scene in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs would happen upon a tiny, little Teepee out in the desert: He'd poke his head in the door and inside would be a 20,000 sq.ft. mansion with a tennis court and bowling alley. It wasn't quite that dramatic when I peered into Suntinez's van but it did make my jaw drop a little. Bathroom/shower, 3-way refrigerator, A/C, generator, furnace, 2 separate sleeping areas, stove, sink, microwave... how the heck did they fit all that stuff into a 16' vehicle?!

Suntinez gave me a great intro to the company, Provan, that designed and built the Tiger. They were in production from the late-80's until 2005 when Chevy stopped making Astros (Provan now uses full-size trucks for their platform). I decided then and there that I MUST find a Tiger to add to our camping quiver. My wife loved the idea so we came up with a plan and a budget. After 5 months of searching (I was expecting to fly and buy somewhere far away), we found EXACTLY what we wanted (AWD, low miles, hard top) 30 miles from our house. :costumed-smiley-007

1994- It's an oldie but a goldie:
781210243_8RP6P-M.jpg

Dirtbike rack coming soon:
781209916_ovBm5-M.jpg

781229610_KuPUW-M.jpg

781213375_ebDbd-M.jpg

781209658_WPTBG-M.jpg

big jefe

incoming Tiger!

Hi, I just purchased a 1988 tiger astro, with the poptop and a solid axle 4x4 sway under it. The rig has 43k miles and is said to be in great shape, I have not seen it yet. Which injection system is the best, the EfI or the other? And who knows if their has been a diesel swap dome on these vehicles? Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior