ORUX XML files converted into a KML Custom Map Source for Gaia?

nbutze

Well, I cannot say that I am all that great with this stuff, but I have dove in and struggling a little bit. Maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

I have a flash drive from a race organizer in Europe that runs a Rally in Baja. The maps on this flash drive are designed and work great with ORUX, but I really really really despise ORUX.

The files themselves are XML files.

From what I can see it is not so difficult to upload a custom map source onto Gaia if it is a KML file.

Now I am in the rabbit hole of converting these XML files to KML, then uploading them to Gaia, then downloading them for offline use onto my iPad on Gaia app.

Anyone have any ideas here? I am stuck at accurately converting the XML to a KML...

Went on Fiver and a couple guys have looked at it, but they weren't familiar enough to make it happen.

I will gladly throw a few bucks for your time and share these awesome maps of Baja with any of you that can make this happen!

WanderingBison

Morning,

I usually use GPSVisualizer.com for almost all my conversions and I have never been disappointed. A few times, I needed to ask the person who runs the site and he got back to me almost immediately.

It works well, can handle almost anything you can throw at it and it’s free.

I can’t remember how I tackled XML in the past but you should be able to find a solution there.

You may also be able to import the file with Google Earth and export it either directly to something GAIA can import or through that site.

Sorry I don’t have a more definitive answer.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nbutze

Awesome! Thank you for the tip. I will play with that and maybe write them too. Really appreciate the help!

I've been meaning to look into the same thing. Have the same Orux maps as you, and would much rather use them on Gaia.

I did go through and download the NatGeo Baja and also the latest Mexican topography on Gaia , took a long time.

nbutze

I've been meaning to look into the same thing. Have the same Orux maps as you, and would much rather use them on Gaia.

I did go through and download the NatGeo Baja and also the latest Mexican topography on Gaia , took a long time.
I will keep you in the loop. Last night I went down the rabbit hole and got lost. So, I hired a kid from Pakistan on Fiver that claims he will get it all done and loaded up onto Gaia for me. He also claims it will take about 15 days for all of the files to process and get uploaded. Time will tell.

Joanne

Adventurer
I wish I had time to play with this. I have written quite a number of XML parsers during my career. I've also used Python to create XML files to pinpoint old mines that I like to explore. It would be a fun project. Surprisingly ChatGPT will generate some pretty good code, so it would be interesting to see what solution it would generate. :) I hope the Fiver thing works out for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior