Old's Cool

RiverGypsy

Someone asked about what i did with Pepe the 4Runner. He's currently on Craigslist... I had posted it last night for way too little money, got tons of calls, texts, and emails... had to call everyone back and tell them that "sorry, I realized today that it holds way more value than that to me, so I raised the price. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it".

I will cry the day I sell it. I'd like to sell it to a friend, so that if they ever decide to sell, they can call me first.

I really don't need two vehicles...

RiverGypsy

That's an awesome t100! I was wondering where it went. Saw it here on my local Craigslist and was really thinking about it, told myself if it popped up again I'd go get it! Oh well, at least someone on here got a great truck, looked so clean! I love the camper shell, all the possibilities. Post up some more pics of it, a build thread?

Yes, it is awesome! You could eat off the engine. It has meticulous service records from the time it was driven off the lot in 1995. Every tank of gas, every trip written down in a little notebook. It's not quite perfect- it has a few dents, but that's exactly the kind of truck I was looking for. The camper shell is awesome. I will post some pictures when I get going with the build. I probably won't make any changes to the truck itself (other than taking off those awful running boards and getting slightly bigger tires), but I have big plans for my camping set up. Every time I get sad about selling my 4Runner, I hop in the back of the truck and realize it will all be ok.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Nothing beats hearing all the noise coming from your vehicle offroad! You just do not get that with newer trucks. My little tank is just that, a tank!

DSCN2321_zpsyxbxebzp.jpg

DSCN2344_zpstll5n7al.jpg

LOVE the old truck with the lightbar! best of both worlds. Lets keep this thread going

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
Cheap 4x4s rule!

Here is my trusty '92 4Runner from my trip this week to Death Valley. The 600 plus miles of towing a trailer from Boise to DV was slow at times with the 22RE 5spd but we made it. I have owned a number of 4wds (Samurai, Jeepster Commando, K5 Blazer, 82 Toyota shortbox 4x4) and this is probably my favorite. It has crank windows, a manual trans, and A/C (which was really nice in Death Valley last week). The only upgrades I have done beyond basic maintenance are tinted windows, BFG mud terrains, and most recently, a full vinyl floor (found a live mouse living under my seat). 168K and counting...

Attachments

• 20150319_164656.jpg
    20150319_164656.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20150321_174033.jpg
    20150321_174033.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 168

basfire

Too Many Choices

Well depending on the adventure I just go to the stable and pick the appropriate rig

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 120
  • FJ40.jpg
    FJ40.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 129
  • P5250091.jpg
    P5250091.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Pick Up.jpg
    Pick Up.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 133

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Man, that 1st gen & FJ40 is just the perfect combo! :) wish I had both of those and that nice tow rig!

Oh and I guess I'd take the 70-series ;)

Crenshaw

Adventurer
We managed some legit desert dirtbagging over our spring break last week. In the spirit of living on the edge (of poverty), this is how I treat huge mechanical jobs on my truck:

1. Blow up engine.
2. Acquire new engine of questionable history and running condition.
3. Jam it in over a long weekend.
4. Drive it around the block to make sure everything works properly.
5. Load up wife, dog, beer, stand up paddleboards, mountain bikes, beer, skateboards, musical instruments, guns, beer, way too much camping gear, and a soggy wal-mart road atlas from 2004. And some gin.
6. Accumulate 2200 miles over 8 days of wandering around some of the most terribly remote areas in the southwest.

What could possibly go wrong?

Vida the dog thinking a pilgrimage to the big rivers is always a good idea:
B8DF0093-5EB6-4359-8636-7A4411098132_zpsay7prbxi.jpg

B4FA21E7-02A2-45AC-B187-F8BBFEEC466F_zpsbgqfev77.jpg

CDBB24FB-CB3C-44E8-B97C-AF376C4A34AA_zpsg4dpzxg5.jpg

72668D1E-C2DA-4355-B9EC-E3C9E3EE5C46_zps1vqhxwzq.jpg

2AF107F9-BC40-42A9-A702-B110D3B67BC2_zps4siuz7kv.jpg

Better photos and stories to follow.

Generally something like this would probably go in a trip report sub forum, but being both slightly shy of the vane nature of those threads, and quite fond of the spirit of this particular thread, I'll just leave it here.

Santé! Tchin! Salute! Nasdrovia! Cheers! Prost!

vtlogger

Adventurer
this tread just gets better and better... I've been looking for one of the early 80's Toyota's but there getting hard to find

Expedition Leader
So, when I posted photos of my old F-250 (above), I didn't realize this thread was in one of the Toyota forums, sorry. As it happens, one of my current off-road vehicles is a 1980 FJ40. Not a junker or a rust bucket like the OP wanted, but it gets me around all over the western U.S.

juddrussell

Observer
94 single cab/wildernest

Love this thread guys! so many sweet setups!
I actually got to meet Crenshaw a few weeks ago to pickup an AC system for my truck he pulled off a parts runner he had. Such a great guy to hangout with and he gave me a killer deal on the parts! My truck is basically the brother to Crenshaws with very similar setups ( Except his 3.4 makes me drooool)

Love both of your Trucks DesktoGlory! Excited for you guys getting to head back soon!

Well anyways heres my oldie!

IMG_2224_2.jpg

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Ski bum metalworking 101

So, you've got a large-ish hole in your hood where the intake manifold of your swapped 3.4 doesn't quite fit in there. Here are your options:

1. Leave the hole and give the top end of the motor a rinse every so often with rainwater and snow.
2. Body lift.
3. Awesome racer hood scoop from Summit, Jegs, or similar.
4. Awesome fiberglass scooped hood, hood pins, etc...
5. Janky DIY hood scoop/bump/shaker/whatever.

I opted for option 5 on account of a handful of deciding factors, the most important one being finances. It doesn't functionally need a scoop and I'd really rather keep the hood mostly sealed from the elements, so I figured I would create some sort of bump to clear the manifold.

So, off to find a sheet of workable metal to make the bump. A proper sized sheet of aluminum is almost 15 bucks! That's a 12 pack of watery mexican beer and then some, for you teatotalers out there. Almost immediately my wife (she has an eye for these things) noticed an alternative source of sheet aluminum:

P1040553_zpsj7ohhlo5.jpg

These babies are $2.50 a piece and plenty of material for my purposes. I went wild and bought two.

We made a form out of some old "repurposed" pallet wood and some cam straps. (sorry no pics, it was cocktail hour and the metal shop was in full swing) A number of rounds of hammering later you end up with something like this:

P1040554_zpswtfrlgyk.jpg

Like a shiny handmade beautiful dog turd of love:

P1040555_zpse5lkjduy.jpg

Sure, it could have probably used a little more finishing work. But that would betray our household philosophy of "just good enough". So on she went, time to say goodbye to that distracting, quivering bit of metal staring at me through the windshield.

I'm a pilot, I like airplanes. Old airplanes have rivets. Lots and lots of rivets. My old truck would be cooler if it were an airplane:

P1040557_zpscebmfh5o.jpg

P1040556_zps2ikigw0z.jpg

The sweetest looking airplanes are all either stripped of their paint and polished obsessively, or painted in cool wannabe military schemes. In lieu of spending the next three years literally polishing a turd, on went a coat of paint and off we went to the desert.

CDBB24FB-CB3C-44E8-B97C-AF376C4A34AA_zpsg4dpzxg5.jpg

The dog was so excited to get out of the house she went a little overboard the first couple days:

P1040583_zpsqtteoasf.jpg

If anyone needs a custom hot rod hood bump for their 3.4 swap, contact me via PM and we'll work something out. $299 shipped, $296.50 if you provide your own "beware of dog" sign or equivalent.

Nasdrovia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior