Old Blue, 2004 Chevy Express AWD 5.3 Build Thread

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I haven't taken it to the alignment shop yet so I'm not sure if caster is in spec. I'm contemplating taking the plasma torch to the frame at two places where the UCA's could come down hard and have metal to metal contact and doing a little trimming and reinforcing...

Today I only worked on it for about two hours. New AC Delco Iridium plugs, new plug wires and installed the new rear 6x9 speakers. I've got a couple dozen new scars on my knuckles to show for it. Working on van engines is no fun, not much room to navigate. My engine is also pretty dirty, so I've been cleaning it as I go. One of my biggest pet peeves is mechanics who don't clean (most of them). If you're going to take the time to take something apart and put it back together, why wouldn't you clean it?

Yep, I've had Bridgestone BFG's and they look great but they don't last. The Kumhos seem to last forever.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
Just a note for myself - drained and filled the transfer case today. It's Borg Warner 4473. Apparently there is a design flaw that can result in a lack of lubrication of the front input and rear output bearings/bushings . GM released a service bulletin in which the t-case is first filled through the filler plug, then the electronic speed sensor is removed from the case and one extra quart of ATF is added. This apparently addresses the issue.

My lifters are making a bit of noise so I added a half a bottle of Sea Foam to the oil, put 200 miles on it and will change the oil tomorrow. Replacing with Wix filter and Amazon synthetic oil.

I may also have a bad flex plate and bad transmission. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 4L75E. Monster transmissions has the parts kit to convert the 4L60E for just under $1000

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

I will be going back to conventional on my next oil change......the synthetic made the my 5.3 get all kinds of rattles it didn't have before.

Binky

When you are ready for the turbo, let me know. I have an unused one from another project that I'll make you a deal on!
I thought about using it in Binky, but I have another idea now.

When you have the trans rebuilt, spend the $ and use all the heavy duty bits. You'll feel better down the road...

Fc3434

@4wheeldrivevan , Any updates on your front suspension? Old thread, but I'm looking at the Freedom Offroad control arms for my '13 AWD Express and wondered what your experience was on it. I love high caster numbers for driveability, but I'm building my van for forest service camping/winter ski storm chasing and want some extra clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior