Off Grid Trailers

Robert I

Just my personal opinion and my thinking. I really like the Mission and as I said, I put money down on one and was a few days from driving to pick it up.

I spent some time on the fakebook page of Mission Overland. I kept seeing issues with leaking (quite a bit actually), general quality issues, rips on the fabric, other misc. stuff. The group is considerably smaller than OGT, roughly 20x smaller. It seems that MO is always trying to fix something or another. That being said, OGT has issues too. But when I compared the relative difference in complaints and bellyaching, it just appeared to me that OGT might be farther along in quality. I think MO will get there. I love the design.

Mostly however it was how the Expo is set up. Storage is really great, and in fact we have extra space. I like the kitchen setup for the Expo which helps lower the tongue weight relative the the MO. Note also I think the MO is heavier and I wanted a lighter load on both our JLU, and our JT.

The awning on the MO is superior in my opinion to the 23zero, so when OGT ran out of inventory, I bought the OVS 270 which the MO comes with. I also bought a CVS awning for the driver side that has a tent system. That was to "replace" the MO advantage of a pop up roof and a hangout space from bugs. The last camping trip, we put the OVS awning walls on, and had a nice gas fire inside, and six of us around the fire. What awesome memories.

And finally, since we also carry kayaks, I wanted to be able to have kayaks on the roof but still be able to camp if it is an intermediate stop. I just set up as normal, but leave the kayaks on the roof.

All in all, it is a tough choice and I could have been happy with either. If you like the MO, you should get it, but I prefer and am glad we got the Expo, it is such a nice rig. Hope this helps in some way.

Ron

P.S. One more thing, I think the Expo is a bit warmer in cold weather than the Summit.

Nice logic and well explained. Thanks. We are lucky to have a forum like this where we can openly exchange views and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various brands.

From what I can see both companies have great ideas and good builds. OGT has a formidable social media presence and with their Facebook group especially, they have built strong brand loyalty. Mark from Mission Overland, has built a lot of credibility on this forum by his willingness to help other enthusiasts and his solid technical responses to questions.

DRAX

Nice logic and well explained. Thanks. We are lucky to have a forum like this where we can openly exchange views and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various brands.

From what I can see both companies have great ideas and good builds. OGT has a formidable social media presence and with their Facebook group especially, they have built strong brand loyalty. Mark from Mission Overland, has built a lot of credibility on this forum by his willingness to help other enthusiasts and his solid technical responses to questions.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Mission Overland was apparently founded and owned by the original founder of OGT. He sold off OGT and started Mission Overland for whatever reason, Mission Overland and OGT are roughly 1.5 hours apart up in Canada.

OGT being a part of a larger company that makes some other quality/well-known products gave me a little better feeling about their longevity in this market. Might be unfounded, but I would expect them to be able to weather the ups and downs in the market better than small independent companies while also having additional engineering and manufacturing experience from their other products. That's all assumptions as I have no idea what Mission Overland's staff experience or history are and they may bring similar experience to the table. Before even considering a trailer like this I had heard of the Escape trailers and how well they were built, so when I started looking at OGT and then discovered they were under the same umbrella as Escape that did help set my mind at ease about buying a relatively expensive, niche product sight unseen. Especially after hearing some nightmare stories about some other companies out there building similar off-road trailers. The last thing I wanted to do was start the process and provide a deposit and then end up with nothing but excuses as to why the trailer isn't done yet, etc. I won't name names because it's not my story to tell, but with any purchase like this I would make sure both the product and the company behind the product have built trust in the community.

The whole process dealing with OGT has been a pleasure as well, from pre-sale communication, to placing an order, and production timeline updates (which is where I'm at now, production is supposed to be in Feb.), the process is very streamlined and the communication has been excellent. Indeed, their FB group has been a wonderful resource with a lot of friendly and happy owners (I haven't come across anyone that has said they regretted their purchase or had a lemon product), their YouTube channel provides excellent videos about their trailers and instructions on use and maintenance as well as some travel videos showing all of their trailers hitting some pretty impressive trails (linked earlier in this thread), as well as working on coordinating group camping at the upcoming Overland Expos this year so that fellow OGT owners can camp together.

If this is what being in a cult feels like then I can understand the draw. haha Anyway, not trying to oversell anyone on OGT's stuff, but they seem to be a really passionate bunch that is trying to build a strong brand and following while producing great products. I've seen companies build great products but fail due to poor business sense/marketing, I've seen companies with excellent marketing but awful business practices and products, but it's pretty rare to have a company that seems to have covered all their bases so well.

RonC

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Mission Overland was apparently founded and owned by the original founder of OGT. He sold off OGT and started Mission Overland for whatever reason, Mission Overland and OGT are roughly 1.5 hours apart up in Canada.

OGT being a part of a larger company that makes some other quality/well-known products gave me a little better feeling about their longevity in this market. Might be unfounded, but I would expect them to be able to weather the ups and downs in the market better than small independent companies while also having additional engineering and manufacturing experience from their other products. That's all assumptions as I have no idea what Mission Overland's staff experience or history are and they may bring similar experience to the table. Before even considering a trailer like this I had heard of the Escape trailers and how well they were built, so when I started looking at OGT and then discovered they were under the same umbrella as Escape that did help set my mind at ease about buying a relatively expensive, niche product sight unseen. Especially after hearing some nightmare stories about some other companies out there building similar off-road trailers. The last thing I wanted to do was start the process and provide a deposit and then end up with nothing but excuses as to why the trailer isn't done yet, etc. I won't name names because it's not my story to tell, but with any purchase like this I would make sure both the product and the company behind the product have built trust in the community.

The whole process dealing with OGT has been a pleasure as well, from pre-sale communication, to placing an order, and production timeline updates (which is where I'm at now, production is supposed to be in Feb.), the process is very streamlined and the communication has been excellent. Indeed, their FB group has been a wonderful resource with a lot of friendly and happy owners (I haven't come across anyone that has said they regretted their purchase or had a lemon product), their YouTube channel provides excellent videos about their trailers and instructions on use and maintenance as well as some travel videos showing all of their trailers hitting some pretty impressive trails (linked earlier in this thread), as well as working on coordinating group camping at the upcoming Overland Expos this year so that fellow OGT owners can camp together.

If this is what being in a cult feels like then I can understand the draw. haha Anyway, not trying to oversell anyone on OGT's stuff, but they seem to be a really passionate bunch that is trying to build a strong brand and following while producing great products. I've seen companies build great products but fail due to poor business sense/marketing, I've seen companies with excellent marketing but awful business practices and products, but it's pretty rare to have a company that seems to have covered all their bases so well.

I agree with what you said above. Thankfully I don't have to retype it. :). My initial impression of the trailer since having it since early December and camping in it twice, I love the Expo. So well built, trailers nice. Tongue is a bit heavy. I had to move or delete the spare tire for my JLU, but our JT does fine with it. I paid $1k down at the onset, and paid cash about 5 weeks or so before delivery. I did have a taillight issue early on (hence only two trips so far). They simply sent me a new pair of lights.

I am certainly no expert, but I think easily one of the best trailers built today. Definitely get on youtube and look at the OGT trailer vids.

4000lbsOfGoat

The whole process dealing with OGT has been a pleasure as well, from pre-sale communication, to placing an order, and production timeline updates (which is where I'm at now, production is supposed to be in Feb.), the process is very streamlined and the communication has been excellent.
I am so glad to hear that this is the type of experience that current buyers are having! I ordered mine in April 2020 and received it in September 2020. My experience was anything but a "pleasure", with communication being particularly lacking. It seems they've got some of the kinks worked out.

Despite my order\delivery issues, the warranty support team has been on the ball for the few (minor) issues I've had.

stevo_pct

I am so glad to hear that this is the type of experience that current buyers are having! I ordered mine in April 2020 and received it in September 2020. My experience was anything but a "pleasure", with communication being particularly lacking. It seems they've got some of the kinks worked out.

Despite my order\delivery issues, the warranty support team has been on the ball for the few (minor) issues I've had.

FWIW, I have sent them a couple emails recently seeing if they could put me in touch with local OGT owners and asking what lead times are and I haven't heard anything. I'll keep following up - they're probably so busy they're not interested in new sales right now...

DRAX

FWIW, I have sent them a couple emails recently seeing if they could put me in touch with local OGT owners and asking what lead times are and I haven't heard anything. I'll keep following up - they're probably so busy they're not interested in new sales right now...

Assuming you've checked this page to see if there's even anyone closeby? https://offgridtrailers.com/view-a-trailer/

I know the sales folks were recently at an expo (a few days ago) so they're probably returning from that and trying to get caught up. When they're in the office they're good about responding, when they're on the road it sometimes took a couple of days to hear back.

stevo_pct

Assuming you've checked this page to see if there's even anyone closeby? https://offgridtrailers.com/view-a-trailer/

I know the sales folks were recently at an expo (a few days ago) so they're probably returning from that and trying to get caught up. When they're in the office they're good about responding, when they're on the road it sometimes took a couple of days to hear back.

Yes, I have seen that map. Definitely looks like there are several nearby. But it looks like OGT needs to make the contact for me. I'll sit tight for a few more days... :)

DRAX

Yes, I have seen that map. Definitely looks like there are several nearby. But it looks like OGT needs to make the contact for me. I'll sit tight for a few more days... :)

OGT just tossed this video up yesterday from their first trade show if the year a few days ago.

4000lbsOfGoat

I'd be happy to let you see mine but you'd have to make it down to southern AZ! Probably not super convenient...

stevo_pct

I'd be happy to let you see mine but you'd have to make it down to southern AZ! Probably not super convenient...

How close are you to Yuma? I do go there for work quite a bit. At least I used to before Covid. I’m expecting things to get back to normal soon.

RonC

How close are you to Yuma? I do go there for work quite a bit. At least I used to before Covid. I’m expecting things to get back to normal soon.

I am also in Southern Arizona, Tucson to be exact. If you are close by, I would also be happy to show you the Expo.

4000lbsOfGoat

Right now I'm nowhere close to Yuma...Negril, Jamaica, in fact, but I do expect to be in the greater Yuma area for most of March and maybe April.

stevo_pct

How does the OGT handle forest service or BLM roads from the standpoint of tight switchbacks and/or narrow clearance? I keep thinking about a slide-in truck camper vs small "off-road" trailer and while both options get the job done equally as far as ground clearance goes (truck clearance is probably the limiting factor in both cases), I wonder about the maneuverability of a small trailer when things get tight - like switchbacks, being able to get turned around if needed, clearance when passing other vehicles on tight tracks, etc.

Any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks!

DRAX

How does the OGT handle forest service or BLM roads from the standpoint of tight switchbacks and/or narrow clearance? I keep thinking about a slide-in truck camper vs small "off-road" trailer and while both options get the job done equally as far as ground clearance goes (truck clearance is probably the limiting factor in both cases), I wonder about the maneuverability of a small trailer when things get tight - like switchbacks, being able to get turned around if needed, clearance when passing other vehicles on tight tracks, etc.

Any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Have you watched the videos in this post? https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/off-grid-trailers.222279/post-2951903

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles