NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

zidaro

Explorer
Finally became so annoyed by the gigantic AC unit that we NEVER even consider using that hangs off the back of our camper. Inside and out it is in the way.
DSC_0020.jpg

Yanked it out.

IMG_4327_zpsv0znfzum.jpg

Its working, fully intact, and ready for an install if anyone is considering this AC option. PM me

Rough opening had been modified from the factory radius cornered opening to square.

IMG_4325_zpsu2ybiyeu.jpg

window no fit! Picked up the Hehr window from Northstar direct.

IMG_4451_zpsqy8yzjyq.jpg

Frame built from alder. Need ~2" additional cutout to allow solid frame to insert into rough opening.

IMG_4450_zps2lu58cxz.jpg

Lil jigsawing and sanding to make a tight fit. Here it is in its very unfinished test fit.

IMG_4452_zpswsb2k9bl.jpg

Still need to glue and screw, trim, stain, and seal! Its already obvious how much more awesome a window is, can't wait to have it finished and be out gazing thru it somewhere.
More pics to follow with the finished product.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Love the thread, and set up Thanks for keeping it updated. I just got a promotion and am looking forward to a northstar pop up in my future. It looks like you have rotopax installed on the front wall of the camper, any thoughts on how you like them, how they are mounted?

Thanks Happy travels

Sorry it took way to long to respond. seems to be my MO :)

here is the Rotopax mount and lock i used. Simple plate mounting.

IMG_4453_zps4nkyakcn.jpg

I like the rotopax tanks. they are much easier to fit places than the standard 5gal. jug. This one you are referring to in my pics is 4gal cap. I also have the 2gal tanks that can mount to the same mounts if need. I think the best feature, even better than the shape, is that the rotos do not leak or fume. They do expand a tad out of perfect shape when it gets hot, but no biggie. They are somewhat aerodynamic on a roof laying flat, they stack nicely between boxes or motos in the bed of a truck, you can slip them under gear in the back of the SUV. quite convenient in comparison to the Jug.
Im sold. Course, I'm also invested at this point ;)

zidaro

Explorer
pics of the Rotopax mount and lock mechanism
Holds it tight, has not loosened with use yet. In this position- Tank is difficult enough to get to that i have no fear of it walking away, but can actually use it and fill it if i need to. Must lower window to remove lock. If i just have the non-locking screw pin installed, i can remove it with the window up.

IMG_4493_zpsewimg26p.jpg

IMG_4494_zpsc4x2vszu.jpg

IMG_4495_zpspkyafhjt.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Zidaro,

No worries Thanks for the reply!! Nothing to apologize for. That looks like a great and secure place to mount, I have started seeing an increase in them, when I saw the mounted to the front of the NS I just had to ask. They always seemed like a good idea/option. The entire rig is a good looking setup.

zidaro

Explorer
Got the window mounted up nicely. Its not going to fall out or leak, thats for sure! Fabbed up a little outside shelf, decided to go with mild steel on the exterior. Plan to make a similar type shelf for the inside, wood. Still need to finish the exterior trim to make it purdy. But for now i can set cocktails on it and hook our swimsuits to dry!

D087FE30-3146-4E63-8ECA-6841B65FA7BB_zpsa7l5lmnt.jpg

AFAC6588-EE62-4241-8198-C7045D7E0DA7_zps226qy4mv.jpg

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
man the set up looks great! especially when pulling that 4runner.

Any concerns with being over legal limits on the tundra?

zidaro

Explorer
man the set up looks great! especially when pulling that 4runner.

Any concerns with being over legal limits on the tundra?

Nope. Truck seems to handle everything well. Law may not like it, but so far no issues there either :REOutShootinghunter

zidaro

Explorer
added the Transferflow 46gal tank to the truck last weekend! Yahoo!!!
Now no more worrying how far I've driven and how far is still can.

0F8B3A46-2867-4D12-90AE-9E6E8850B708_zpsiabdiof4.jpg

679B67E0-F9C2-4072-9527-82425B4CAB19_zps0bz4fs7c.jpg

Loving it

zidaro

Explorer
Recent camping trip thru East side Baja! Quick but, as always, epic baja. soaked in remote hot springs, travelled along baja courses thru Laguna Salada for almost 100miles, ate insane fish tacos in Felipe, drove and camped along the beaches, tucked into remote hidden spots.
Cant wait to get south again. Lots of pics, heres a few.

IMG_5016_zpsjvga2uzf.jpg

IMG_5054_zpsctbklef4.jpg

DSC_2199_zpsajeb4zok.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Recent camping trip thru East side Baja! Quick but, as always, epic baja. soaked in remote hot springs, travelled along baja courses thru Laguna Salada for almost 100miles, ate insane fish tacos in Felipe, drove and camped along the beaches, tucked into remote hidden spots.
Cant wait to get south again. Lots of pics, heres a few.

IMG_5016_zpsjvga2uzf.jpg

IMG_5054_zpsctbklef4.jpg

DSC_2199_zpsajeb4zok.jpg

Nice shots indeed. It's so nice to get out of the elements down there. The wind and sun can wear you out. Rims and tires look fine.
That Transferflow tank tucks right up in there. A 25 gal stock tank doesn't go far on a thirsty truck.

zidaro

Explorer
Cruising Northern Death Valley, Spring '17

Eureka Dunes
DSC_2208_zpsnyla695c.jpg

IMG_5177_zpssa2dzfxk.jpg

Teakettle Jct.
DSC_2242_zpst5ssrmfy.jpg

Racetrack
DSC_2255_zpsuvftffcf.jpg

DSC_2269_zps437011yh.jpg

Camp above Lippincott Mine Saddle

IMG_5193_zpscwydcove.jpg

IMG_5190_zpswu4c0alm.jpg

Down Lippincott into Saline
DSC_2283_zpsbd5wgf7y.jpg

DSC_2287_zpslbapd0sh.jpg

DSC_2291_zpsqbiqdcpg.jpg

DSC_2292_zps1ovyxpd5.jpg

DSC_2301_zpstxmessea.jpg

DSC_2307_zpsytgq724x.jpg

DSC_2311_zpspycjsjck.jpg

DSC_2314_zpsffehuo8x.jpg

DSC_2323_zpstys2pihg.jpg

DSC_2326_zpsgvb9kqak.jpg

DSC_2329_zpswpln4kcd.jpg

DSC_2336_zpsveramqvr.jpg

Saline
DSC_2342_zpsx7obb9yw.jpg

DSC_2345_zpsob8jdljn.jpg

As always, DV provides!

Tatted

Adventurer
Question: do you air down on those trails? If so. What pressure do you run with your camper on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94